Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

Old 06-12-2014, 06:57 AM

Mein Auto: 730d,740i
740i e38 94' M60 6sp doesnt start and doesn't want to connect to OBD Diagnostics

Hello,

The car doesnt want to start. The starter motor is working (testing by putting power on it ... the car cranks but doesn't ignite). The car don't want to start with pulling. When I tried to connect the diagnostics it only connects with the instrument cluster, airbag and cruise control. I tried with INPA and BMW Scanner. Before the issue I didn't have any issues with diagnostics with the car. The issue happened before one month only for a couple of minutes. After that it started to work again. Then it happened again for longer period and finally at the third time now it doesn't want to start at all. When the car was running I didn't have a problem to connect with INPA.

It seems that the car doesnt have a EWS because when the diagnostics worked it didn't want to enter this computer. The car used to start with only the metal key fob without the transponder. It also seems that there is no ring in the ignition console. I'm tired with it because 3 technicans gave up on the problem finally stating that there is bad connection anywhere in the car. When I put the ignition ON all the lights come up without showing a problem. Today I tried to connect another DME (from a 740i automatic) but with no effect.

Any suggestions
Advertisement
Old 06-12-2014, 02:27 PM
Society of the 7's East

Mein Auto: 2001 740iL
Go back to basics. Make sure the fuel pump is working. You either need a gauge, break the line to check for pressure or jump the pump.
Pull plugs if they are gas fouled then hone in on the spark. I will assume you are using a good battery.
Check oil level if too low the safety switch gets tripped.
Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Last edited by ebida3; 06-12-2014 at 02:28 PM.
Old 06-12-2014, 03:54 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '96 740iL
So the car does not crank with the key? If that's the case I would suspect a weak battery. If it is cranking over but not starting with the key, could be the crank sensor. Need to check for spark and fuel while cranking, as suggested.
Old 06-13-2014, 12:36 AM

Mein Auto: 730d,740i
Hello,
The car isn't cranking with the key, not even trying or clicking. When I jump the starter it is cranking at full force but does not fire. The battery is new.

I think think that the main problem is electrical because since the issue happened the car doesn't want to communicate with the diagnostics at all, just the cruise control, instrument panel and airbags.

Last edited by pal_fr3nzy; 06-13-2014 at 12:43 AM.
Old 06-19-2014, 09:43 AM

Mein Auto:
do you have spark and fuel coming ?? and it seems like the ecu is not grounding properly

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 08-10-2014, 11:37 AM

Mein Auto: 1996 750il
Hello! i had a similar issue. it was my ews. i tried everything mentioned from battery 2 new ones, fuel pump etc. so i took my car to a private repair shop not a dealer shop and was confirmed it was my ews. so after a reprogramming my EWS. My car was running!!! now i have to get my obd to work. not sure if it is my obd reader or if i need a special reader.

I hope this helps you!