Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts

BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts
Do you own a diesel powered BMW? Maybe a 335d or a BMW x35d? Come and talk about what makes your car great!

Old 09-26-2007, 01:51 PM

Mein Auto: 11 X535d
Yes! But then again I already own one, a German Spec 330d. But I'd like to be able to buy a US spec 330d for when I come back to the US. I am actually holding off buying a new car until I found what vehicles will be available with a diesel engine.
Old 05-25-2008, 02:32 PM
WULLIE-P

Mein Auto: 2002 330d sport
hi all , i have a 330 d and love it ,,,loads of power , great on fuel , and sounds great too...
dont knock it until you try it
Old 05-25-2008, 03:50 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2008 328i Coupe
I'd buy one. I loved my 1995 Mercedes E300 Diesel. If my car wasn't totaled puting me in position where I had to buy a car, I'd certainly have looked at the 335d that's supposed to be in the USA for the next model year.
  • Manual Transmission
  • Premium Package
  • Electronic sunshade
  • iPod adaptor
Old 05-25-2008, 04:00 PM
Abuser of everything

Mein Auto: BMW E90 2007
No diesel for me. I was in Germany last week driving a Golf Tdi 140HP for 1500km... the engine drove me nuts. Diesel are for tractors and will never make sense economically in North America.
Old 05-25-2008, 04:45 PM

Mein Auto: Cayman S, X5 35d and GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintor View Post
No diesel for me. I was in Germany last week driving a Golf Tdi 140HP for 1500km... the engine drove me nuts. Diesel are for tractors and will never make sense economically in North America.
I'm starting to agree - especially since diesel is now pushing $5.25/gallon here in CT. The fuel economy may be 20% better than a comparable gasoline car, but the fuel is 20% more expensive and I am sure the diesel car will be priced higher than the gasoline version. What's the point? I think that BMW missed the boat on diesel here in the U.S. and the timing of their planned introduction couldn't be worse.
Old 05-25-2008, 04:56 PM
Not Wearing Pants

Mein Auto: Moped
Quote:
Originally Posted by caveatesq View Post
I'm starting to agree - especially since diesel is now pushing $5.25/gallon here in CT. The fuel economy may be 20% better than a comparable gasoline car, but the fuel is 20% more expensive and I am sure the diesel car will be priced higher than the gasoline version. What's the point? I think that BMW missed the boat on diesel here in the U.S. and the timing of their planned introduction couldn't be worse.
Depends on the area and the car. For reasons beyond comprehension BMW isn't releasing their really efficient diesels here. Why is that? No idea. Maybe it's this silly 6 cylinder obsession they have.

A 520d bested a Prius in a test. A 320d sounds like a great car - 40+ mpg freeway, tons of torque.

If the 320d were released here I'd seriously look into it. I get 30 mpg from my Cooper S and pay 4.20 a gallon. Diesel here is 4.50-4.60. For a 10% premium in fuel costs, if I can see a 10% increase in mileage in a normal sized car, I'd be interested. My e90 got 22-23 mpg, so a BMW 3 series that gets 33 combined = 40-45% efficiency increase. That's well worth the cost of the diesel fuel.
Old 05-25-2008, 05:24 PM

Mein Auto: 1600 2002tii 323/ E90 335
320d/323d/330d/335d E91 for me. It is no wonder they are so popular in Euro. Even with the inexplicable attempt to keep diesels out of the USA by the dubious rise in diesel fuel pricing (is it just a coincidence that US carmakers are caught with their pants down again on this?), diesels will eventually command a significant portion of the market. They are >30% more efficient, and the price of diesel should eventually go below that of gas.
Old 05-25-2008, 07:27 PM

Mein Auto: 328xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by stressdoc View Post
320d/323d/330d/335d E91 for me. It is no wonder they are so popular in Euro. Even with the inexplicable attempt to keep diesels out of the USA by the dubious rise in diesel fuel pricing (is it just a coincidence that US carmakers are caught with their pants down again on this?), diesels will eventually command a significant portion of the market. They are >30% more efficient, and the price of diesel should eventually go below that of gas.
+1 but only e91 330xd or 335xd. 6 cylinders much smoother than 4 cylinders.
Old 05-25-2008, 07:33 PM

Mein Auto: 335xi
I am interested cann't wait to test drive one
Old 05-25-2008, 08:03 PM
Button Pusher

Send a message via Yahoo to AK
Mein Auto: '10 C2S, '04 4Runner
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueguydotcom View Post
Depends on the area and the car. For reasons beyond comprehension BMW isn't releasing their really efficient diesels here. Why is that? No idea. Maybe it's this silly 6 cylinder obsession they have.

A 520d bested a Prius in a test. A 320d sounds like a great car - 40+ mpg freeway, tons of torque.

If the 320d were released here I'd seriously look into it. I get 30 mpg from my Cooper S and pay 4.20 a gallon. Diesel here is 4.50-4.60. For a 10% premium in fuel costs, if I can see a 10% increase in mileage in a normal sized car, I'd be interested. My e90 got 22-23 mpg, so a BMW 3 series that gets 33 combined = 40-45% efficiency increase. That's well worth the cost of the diesel fuel.
Wow, San Diego must be in a Diesel alternate universe, because right up the road here in OC, Diesel is closer to $5.20/gal, or about $0.70-$0.80/gal more than premium unleaded. I agree that as long as Diesel sells for 20% more than gasoline, the economics of buying one really aren't convincing.
Old 05-25-2008, 10:17 PM

Mein Auto: 07 335i E92
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK View Post
Wow, San Diego must be in a Diesel alternate universe, because right up the road here in OC, Diesel is closer to $5.20/gal, or about $0.70-$0.80/gal more than premium unleaded. I agree that as long as Diesel sells for 20% more than gasoline, the economics of buying one really aren't convincing.
+1

Higher premium for a diesel engine + difference in diesel / premium does not justify benefits in efficiency for a diesel economically.

Here are a few other negatives I can think of.
1) Not as nearly as many diesel stations as there are gasoline stations.
2) Not as great sounding (as in vroom vroom)!
3) No MT on the 335d
Old 05-25-2008, 10:42 PM
pc335diesel

Send a message via AIM to pc328coupe
Mein Auto: '10 335d Sedan
I'll trade tomorrow if I could get a 330d coupe.
Old 05-25-2008, 10:44 PM

Mein Auto: '97 528i, 5-speed
Personally I beleive we should leave diesel for the big rigs becuase in the long run if we all using diesel then we're just driving up the cost of everything else ingeneral; including food on our table. Las time I heard... it cost over a grand to fill up one of those big rigs. Also, it is not all that eviromentally friendly despite the ultra-low sulfer content in today's diesel.
Old 05-26-2008, 02:20 AM
Black Squared

Mein Auto: 1998 535 COSMOSSCHWARZ ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vornado View Post
I dont really like the sound of diesel engines. Yeah they're better on gas, yeah they're better for the environment, etc etc. If they can get them to sound better I might consider one.
The European market diesels in the BMW's I see are very quiet. The only time you can tell they aren't gas-powered is at idle and when they keep passing gas stations!

I can't tell you how many times diesel BMWs have out-pulled my '95 525 on the autobahn from rolling starts. You know, the speed restriction ends and there goes the diesel...

The local tire guy's dad can't hardly keep rear tires on his 530 TDS due to the huge amount of torque down low. Aren't they almost as quick as the M5 to boot?

So count me as one who is waiting for a U.S. spec diesel to come along...

Brian
Old 05-26-2008, 11:10 AM
Button Pusher

Send a message via Yahoo to AK
Mein Auto: '10 C2S, '04 4Runner
I think this column over at Car and Driver sums up the situation pretty good:

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...t_of_it_column
Old 05-26-2008, 11:23 AM

Mein Auto: Acura RL
Thumbs up Audi Turbo Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueC View Post
For those that don't like the sound of diesels, go to a Le Mans race and listen to Audi's prototype. Out of all of the cars racing, it was by far my favorite car to listen to. Sounded like a jet.

I would love to have a diesel, specifically a turbo diesel.

I've seen the Audi LeMans car several times and had a chance to look it over briefly with the cowl off. The filter for the exhaust is what would make this engine 50 state legal. It is a great engine and it really runs! I think anyone would be pretty satisfied with a street legal version of this diesel.
Old 05-26-2008, 03:04 PM
2009 335i M sport

Mein Auto: BMW 335i M sport
last time I drove a diesel it was a 90 Vauxhall (GM) Astra estate and it was a nasty piece of work, slow, noisy but it stood up to miles of abuse. By all accounts diesel technology has improved and they are more efficient, cleaner and powerful than their predeccesors. I would consider another diesel but the the price of diesel has to come down before I go derv again.
Old 05-26-2008, 03:15 PM

Mein Auto: '14 335i 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsell View Post
The local tire guy's dad can't hardly keep rear tires on his 530 TDS due to the huge amount of torque down low. Aren't they almost as quick as the M5 to boot?
Not even close. Diesels do have mountains of torque but they conversely have less hp/L. Torque is the rate at which hp is applied, so diesels can apply hp "faster", but there's less hp there to begin with.

For example, the upcoming 335d has loads of torque - 425 lb-ft at 1750 rpm, but only 265 bhp. So despite having way more torque than a 335i, it can only do 0-62 in about 6.2 secs, compared to the 335i doing it in 4.8-5.2 secs. Plus, the diesel's redline is much lower (boo), the engine will never sound like a BMW inline-6 (boo), and it will rev tractor-slow by comparison (boo). Fuel economy is expected to be 23/33, compared to 17/26 for the 335i. The 335d is basically a 328i but crappier, more expensive, and Steptronic-only.

Yuck. Send it back.

09.16.13 European Delivery

Past:
2011 335i Coupe 6MT (ED)
2010 135i Vert 6MT (ED)
2007 335i Coupe 6MT (ED)

2006 325i Sedan 6MT
Old 05-26-2008, 03:21 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwac View Post
Not even close. Diesels do have mountains of torque but they conversely have less hp/L. Torque is the rate at which hp is applied, so diesels can apply hp "faster", but there's less hp there to begin with.

For example, the upcoming 335d has loads of torque - 425 lb-ft at 1750 rpm, but only 265 bhp. So despite having way more torque than a 335i, it can only do 0-62 in about 6.2 secs, compared to the 335i doing it in 4.8-5.2 secs. Plus, the diesel's redline is much lower (boo), the engine will never sound like a BMW inline-6 (boo), and it will rev tractor-slow by comparison (boo). Fuel economy is expected to be 23/33, compared to 17/26 for the 335i. The 335d is basically a 328i but crappier, more expensive, and Steptronic-only.

Yuck. Send it back.
Diesel is currently 20% more than regular gas. Therefore the MPG is the same for non diesel when you factor in fuel costs.

However, since the demand for diesel is expected to increase globally, mostly because of Chinese power plants, I see diesel being about 30-40% more than regular gas in the future. So I think we are too late bringing diesels here. Yeah it has torque and you can tow a boat, but 99% of the consumers won't care.
Old 05-26-2008, 03:45 PM
Abuser of everything

Mein Auto: BMW E90 2007
Quote:
Torque is the rate at which hp is applied, so diesels can apply hp "faster", but there's less hp there to begin with.
Your definition of torque couldn't be wronger, but it is correct that HP is what matters when accelerating, at any speed. This is made possible by torque and/or gearing. I don't want to see that formula that kids love to play with again.
Old 05-26-2008, 04:35 PM
my 335 with friend

Mein Auto: E90 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK View Post
I think this column over at Car and Driver sums up the situation pretty good:

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...t_of_it_column
But congress is putting the squeeze on car manufacturers for better fleet mpg. If BMW were to throw in a couple diesel options in the mix it just might be the cheapest way for BMW to meet the new laws without having to go hybrid. Which I think is a passing fad. BMW doesn't care if it might cost their owners more to drive their diesels as long as BMW mets the new MPG requirements.

craig
Old 05-26-2008, 04:38 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigr View Post
But congress is putting the squeeze on car manufacturers for better fleet mpg. If BMW were to throw in a couple diesel options in the mix it just might be the cheapest way for BMW to meet the new laws without having to go hybrid. Which I think is a passing fad. BMW doesn't care if it might cost their owners more to drive their diesels as long as BMW mets the new MPG requirements.

craig
Ah, this does and does not make sense.

If BMW builds diesels to help with their average, they must sell them to consumers for them to count. If consumers do not buy them because of the cost of diesel, then the plan won't work.

Using diesels to improve CAFE averages across the corporate line only works if folks actually buy them. I don't see American's who buy $40-$80k cars caring much about diesels.

Hybrids and diesels belong in Corollas and Rabbits. Cars designed to be cheap to buy and operate.

Last edited by sdbrandon; 05-26-2008 at 04:40 PM.
Old 05-26-2008, 05:51 PM

Mein Auto: '14 335i 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintor View Post
Your definition of torque couldn't be wronger, but it is correct that HP is what matters when accelerating, at any speed.
Fine. Torque is the moment of a force; the measure of a force's tendency to produce torsion and rotation about an axis, equal to the vector product of the radius vector from the axis of rotation to the point of application of the force and the force vector.

09.16.13 European Delivery

Past:
2011 335i Coupe 6MT (ED)
2010 135i Vert 6MT (ED)
2007 335i Coupe 6MT (ED)

2006 325i Sedan 6MT
Old 05-26-2008, 06:12 PM
my 335 with friend

Mein Auto: E90 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdbrandon View Post
Ah, this does and does not make sense.

If BMW builds diesels to help with their average, they must sell them to consumers for them to count. If consumers do not buy them because of the cost of diesel, then the plan won't work.

Using diesels to improve CAFE averages across the corporate line only works if folks actually buy them. I don't see American's who buy $40-$80k cars caring much about diesels.

Hybrids and diesels belong in Corollas and Rabbits. Cars designed to be cheap to buy and operate.
I agree with your does and doesn't statement. Yet in the world of percentages maybe being able to sell 150 diesels might just get BMW into the proper MPG range. Of course you might have to stop selling the M5s. But wait a minute maybe turn the V10 into a twin turbo diesel. Now that would be interesting. Sorry got carried away.

craig
Old 05-26-2008, 07:09 PM
*****cat's Meow

Mein Auto: 2008 335i montego blue
what makes you think diesels get better mpg when you are making 265bhp versus the petrol at the same 265bhp 3.0?

i agree they make better mpg at steady cruise and idle but i seriously doubt if i drove that diesel the mpg would suck butt.

Same with a prius i'd probably get 20mpg because it would be at WOT 100% of the time.