Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E36 M3 (1995-1999)

E36 M3 (1995-1999)

Old 09-29-2007, 11:21 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 330i
Help! New HU Car will not Start

I purchased a beautiful 97 M3 Sedan Comos/Magma 5sp manual. I took it a stereo shop to have a new headunit put in and they just called and said they cannot get it to start due to the alarm system. I guess this has to do with an anti-thief HU. Anyone know what to do. I was waiting to get the HU installed before I posted pictures.

Thanks for the help!!
Ads by Google
Old 09-29-2007, 07:34 PM
BMWCCA 149159

Mein Auto: 335 vert//M3/4/ 13Outback
As far as I know there is nothing related to the HU and the alarm system so something else they did caused the no start condition.
Please post more details:
Does the car crank?
Does the car not crank?
Did they disconnect the battery?
Etc
More information will help us to give you a few suggestions...
Old 09-04-2013, 06:02 PM

Mein Auto: 1995 BMW 318i Cabriolet
Similar no-start issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by fun2drive View Post
As far as I know there is nothing related to the HU and the alarm system so something else they did caused the no start condition.
Please post more details:
Does the car crank?
Does the car not crank?
Did they disconnect the battery?
Etc
More information will help us to give you a few suggestions...
Happened after replacing the starter on an E36 with the M42 engine. I did disconnected the battery for 3 days plus I had taken the carpets out and the onboard computer interface. The car now cranks, but won't start. It will start briefly with starting fluid, or if I disconnect the battery and turn on the hazard lights to drain the system. Then it starts for a few seconds, then sputters and dies. There is 12 volts at the fuel pump, but i can't hear it whirring. I also noticed that applying pressure to the door, right next to the window felt causes the window to go up a little bit. The car was running fine before all of this repair interventions, so I'm suspecting a problem with the anti-theft system. Could anyone point me to the right thread?