Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Bimmerfest 2014 > Previous Events > Bimmerfest 2008: Santa Barbara, CA

Bimmerfest 2008: Santa Barbara, CA
May 3rd has come and gone. Read stories, check out the pics and more from the largest BMW gathering in the land...

Old 03-11-2008, 10:29 AM

Mein Auto: 1997 M3/4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jed Peters View Post
SB Locals....

Can you recommend a hotel that's perhaps a little bit *more* upscale? The ramada doesn't sound attractive to the wife and the 3 other couples we're going with.

Looking in the ~$300/night range-ish.
We were thining the same thing this year. I strongly recomend the Montecito Inn, great restaurants within walking distance too. We'll be there with some other folks. The Fess Parker is also pretty nice and down across from the main beach.
Old 03-11-2008, 05:25 PM

Mein Auto: bimmer power
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jed Peters View Post
SB Locals....

Can you recommend a hotel that's perhaps a little bit *more* upscale? The ramada doesn't sound attractive to the wife and the 3 other couples we're going with.

Looking in the ~$300/night range-ish.
Perhaps the Four Seasons Biltmore or for something a little more contemporary try Bacara.
Old 03-11-2008, 08:29 PM

Mein Auto: '06 DINAN 5 (E61)
Thanks for the info, guys.

On recommendations, we booked the harbor view inn, with ocean view rooms.

Dinner at Downey's and Trattoria Mollie.

Yum.
Old 03-14-2008, 06:06 PM
The King of Common Sense

Send a message via Skype™ to Dave 330i
Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AB View Post
Teh Jev will be there, that's all you need to know.
Which room should be avoided at all cost?

Swim upstream. Go the other way. Ignore the conventional wisdom. If everybody is doing it one way, there’s a good chance you can find your niche by going exactly in the opposite direction", Sam Walton.
Old 03-16-2008, 03:54 PM
call me darkcloud

Send a message via ICQ to Jever Send a message via AIM to Jever Send a message via MSN to Jever Send a message via Yahoo to Jever
Mein Auto: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 330i View Post
119 but I'm not staying at the Ramada. I'm not even sure if I/we are going.

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder
Old 03-16-2008, 04:14 PM

Quote:
The entire Ramada, from what I heard.
- Frank Rizzo
Old 03-31-2008, 03:22 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2006 ///M5
Still debating on hotels myself. Leaning towards the Ramada so I can say hello to Keith again. I have a group of guys from E60.net coming and trying to see what hotel(s) to recommend them. Any other suggestions guys?

TIA.
EXTERIOR: RDSport Roof+Trunk Spoilers; Hartge Splitter+Diffuser
INTERIOR: RDSport Alum Pedals; Hardwired V1
LIGHTING: Eurospec Headlights; Smoked LCI LED Taillights; Mtec V2 Angel Eyes
Old 03-31-2008, 04:07 PM
Tamer of the Mighty V8

Mein Auto: Black 1995 540i
Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroCarFan View Post
Still debating on hotels myself. Leaning towards the Ramada so I can say hello to Keith again. I have a group of guys from E60.net coming and trying to see what hotel(s) to recommend them. Any other suggestions guys?

TIA.

OMG, who's this guy!?!?!? talk about someone that fell off the planet, what gives my Brotha?
Old 03-31-2008, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
OMG, who's this guy!?!?!? talk about someone that fell off the planet, what gives my Brotha?
HAHAHAHA! I've been hidin' out.

Any local events coming up before Bimmerfest? I might have a small meet with the exotic guys at Santana Row next Sat.
Old 03-31-2008, 06:13 PM
Tamer of the Mighty V8

Quote:
HAHAHAHA! I've been hidin' out.

Any local events coming up before Bimmerfest? I might have a small meet with the exotic guys at Santana Row next Sat.
Only thing I can speak of is our Detail Day this Saturday.
It's usually at my house, but we're doing it this year at Auto Analyst in Castro Valley, info here: http://www.baybimmerz.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1427

I guess I'll see ya someday.
Old 04-01-2008, 12:18 PM

Ah, I have my son's bday this Sat. Guess I'll see you at Bimmerfest!
Old 04-06-2008, 02:55 PM

Send a message via MSN to LordVodka
Mein Auto: 1997 328i
How does 1 delete a message...

Last edited by LordVodka; 04-06-2008 at 03:00 PM.
Old 04-07-2008, 07:42 PM
Tamer of the Mighty V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordVodka View Post
How does 1 delete a message...
PM a moderator.
Old 04-07-2008, 11:01 PM

Mein Auto: 06 BMW 550
Isn't Ramada pricey for a 2.5 star hotel @ 180?
Old 04-08-2008, 02:11 AM
TMS

Mein Auto: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikebuzzsaw View Post
Isn't Ramada pricey for a 2.5 star hotel @ 180?
All hotels in SB are pricey. The hotel has some nice features and I've paid more and gotten less value in that city. A significant portion of the NorCal, PNW, and AZ crews traditionally stay there. For members of those groups, staying at the Ramada has benefits beyond just the brick and mortar (camaraderie, washing cars in the parking lot, a parking lot loaded with BMW's, etc.). I think the majority of SoCal folks just come up for the day of the event and don't require lodging.
Old 04-08-2008, 08:39 AM
The King of Common Sense

Send a message via Skype™ to Dave 330i
Mein Auto:
My suggestion is to stay futher south in Ventura, Oxnard (not recommended), Camarillo, or Thousand Oaks (recommended) and have a leasurely drive along the coast to SB the next morning.

Swim upstream. Go the other way. Ignore the conventional wisdom. If everybody is doing it one way, there’s a good chance you can find your niche by going exactly in the opposite direction", Sam Walton.
Old 04-08-2008, 08:42 AM

Quote:
My suggestion is to stay futher south in Ventura, Oxnard (not recommended), Camarillo, or Thousand Oaks (recommended) and have a leasurely drive along the coast to SB the next morning.
If it's not recommended, why are you suggesting it?
- Frank Rizzo
Old 04-08-2008, 08:42 AM
TMS

Mein Auto: BMW
Quote:
Dave, the groups I mentioned got their driving yaya's out the prior day. Or two, in the case of the PNW and AZ guys. Our cars are clean and we just want to pop over to the showgrounds from a nearby hotel.

It's all moot for me though, I cancelled my reservation yesterday.
Old 04-08-2008, 02:13 PM

Mein Auto: 06 BMW 550
I made my reservations.. i was able to get a king for price of queen... they seemed to only have a few rooms left.
Old 04-08-2008, 03:54 PM
Tamer of the Mighty V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff View Post
All hotels in SB are pricey. The hotel has some nice features and I've paid more and gotten less value in that city. A significant portion of the NorCal, PNW, and AZ crews traditionally stay there. For members of those groups, staying at the Ramada has benefits beyond just the brick and mortar (camaraderie, washing cars in the parking lot, a parking lot loaded with BMW's, etc.). I think the majority of SoCal folks just come up for the day of the event and don't require lodging.

Cliff hit the nail on the head, if you want to be at a nice hotel (that's rooms have been totally refurbished by the way) with fellow BMW enthusiast's, then this IS the place to be.

I hope everyone has a great time and has a safe trip from wherever you're coming from.
One of our caravan attendees got pulled over last year (well there were more than that)and while signing his ticket he was told by the officer that MANY other people (non BMW & non caravan participants) on the road were calling from their cell phones to complain about all the BMW's on the road and whatever else they had to to say.
SO, cell phones work just about as good as the CHP's radios to each other, so please be careful folks. (geez, after reading that I sound like my Father, but I'm just looking out for everyone )
Old 04-08-2008, 03:59 PM
Ubergeek

Send a message via AIM to KrisL Send a message via Yahoo to KrisL
Mein Auto: 330i ZHP
+1 to Cliff/Keith - you don't come to Bimmerfest for the great food or the wonderful Earl Warren Showgrounds - you come to hang out with fellow enthusiasts. Likewise, I'm not looking for the best deal or the best bed in Santa Barbara - I'm looking for accommodations that are plenty sufficient where I can hang out with everyone!
Old 04-08-2008, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
Cliff hit the nail on the head, if you want to be at a nice hotel (that's rooms have been totally refurbished by the way) with fellow BMW enthusiast's, then this IS the place to be.

I hope everyone has a great time and has a safe trip from wherever you're coming from.
One of our caravan attendees got pulled over last year (well there were more than that)and while signing his ticket he was told by the officer that MANY other people (non BMW & non caravan participants) on the road were calling from their cell phones to complain about all the BMW's on the road and whatever else they had to to say.
SO, cell phones work just about as good as the CHP's radios to each other, so please be careful folks. (geez, after reading that I sound like my Father, but I'm just looking out for everyone )
I had organized a Centra Cali meet in San Luis Obispo a month ago. There were 10 of us driving down from the Bay Area and we passed this CHP doing about 80 (he didn't have his radar on and was probably just finished ticketing someone else). We pulled in at the next exit and was standing around taking some pics when he rolled in about 20 minutes later. He also said he received calls from motorists stating that there was a group of nice cars traveling at a high rate of speed. But he was cool about it. Asked us where we were going and stuff and told us to be careful. Then he stopped and noticed that none of our cars had front license plates and says "I can make my quota for the whole day giving you guys tickets!" LOL

Of course he was joking and told us to drive safe. I then gave him one of our E60.net polos and he even posed for a photo.
Old 04-08-2008, 04:09 PM
Tamer of the Mighty V8

Quote:
I then gave him one of our E60.net polos and he even posed for a photo.

Now THAT was classic Tony, I was cracking up when I read that!

I love it, that sounds like something I would do, still laughing!
Old 04-08-2008, 04:29 PM

Here's the pic:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CHP Officer & Me.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	142861