Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > European Delivery

European Delivery
The place to share your experiences and tips related to "ED"... View the ED Wiki -- View the Pick-Up Date Calendar -- Add Your Pick-Up Date to the Calendar

Old 10-01-2007, 09:41 AM

Mein Auto: '07 328 Conv.
ED report (E93 9/18-9/26)

Summary:

Day 1-3: Rothenburg ODT
Day 3-5: Baden Baden
Day 5-7: Unterpinswang/Zugspitze
Day 7-9: Munich
Day 9: Fly home

Day1: Arrived in Munich. Cold, raining. Was met by Peter, one of ROlf's associates. Peter drives us to the delivery center in his 3er wagon while telling us various tidbits about BMW, and some general German driving regulations. Once at the delivery center Peter joins us at the cafe after giving my passport to the reception desk so that I can get in queue for a delivery advisor. We talk about Germany and he recommends a few places in Munich to visit and suggests trying the schweinhaxen (pork knuckle) while we are here.
Peter departs and we are receive by Jenny (woohoo, we get the hot BMW delivery advisor!). She goes over the necessary paperwork and then brings us to our car and proceeds to explain all the major operational procedures.
We program in our hotel location in Rothenburg and we leave Munich (thanks Beewang!).
We arrive in Rothenburg and stay at the Hotel Goldener Hirsch, just south of the square. It is very quaint with its cobblestone streets and buildings with windowboxes full of various colorful blooms.
We sightsee a little and purchase some Christmas ornaments att the famous Kathe Wolfhart store. After a while we have dinner at a local restaurant and I order the Schweinhaxen which is incredibly filling, salty, and overall enjoyable along with my first beer in Germany. Afterwards we retire to our hotel, we have both been awake for somewhere over 30 hours at this point ^^

Day 2: Sun! Clouds give way to a clear sky, the view from our hotel is amazing as it overlooks the city and Tauber river. For breakfast we stop at a cafe for coffee and a plate of coldcuts and potato pancakes. We also sample a local specialty (against Rick Steves' advice), called schneeballen with yet more coffee (coffee is stronger here, but being a New Yorker for more than 30 years I'm acclimated to starting the day with 12-20 oz regardless of intensity apparently). We go to one of the towers in the town around the wall and walk along the perimeter gazing out of the various slits possibly used for archers?

We hike for a bit outside of the wall of the town down to the Tauber, along the way we also pass an old abandoned church, still sound in structure but appears to be in a state of disuse for and extended indeterminate period. Various Tauber crossings are found, the most scenic being one which was found at the end of a long, steep descent down a wooded path which gave way to a sundrenched meadow. A small dirt path through the meadow lead to a small covered pedestrian footbridge. This was somewhere in the vicinity of Toppler's "Castle", which we never found.

We have dinner in an eatery said to be frequented by locals which specialized in potato dishes. It it just outside of the east gate of town, the food is very good (another Rick Steves recommendation). We did some other miscellaneous vacationer things that day too like stopping for a beer in the afternoon and more shopping for additional Christmas ornaments (since apparently there are several Kathe Wolfhart stores in town with different ornaments...I get to bring home a car so I can't deny my wife a few trinkets).

Overall, Hotel Goldener Hirsch ++vouch! Very central to Rothenburg...however everything in Rothenburg is walking distance anyway...so that shouldn't be a deciding factor here anyway imo.

Day 3: We leave Rotheburg ODT bound for Baden Baden (when I told someone I was going to Baden Baden, they had to chime in with "so nice, they named it twice!", which I am STILL groaning about). It is still sunny so I hit the address on the nav and request avoid highways to see some Germany countryside with the top down. We drive through many small towns with varying types of livestock and eventuall arrive at the Hotel Quellenhof. Tired and hungry we go to the Münchner Löwenbräu for a snack in their biergarten. I have my first weisswurst and pretzel and another dunkel. There is a pop festival in town this weekend, we feel lucky to have booked early not knowing this fact!

Day 4: We have breakfast at the hotel and then go for a stroll down Lichtentaler Allee. It's a great walk down a tree lined and well maintained lane along the river Oos. Many small ornate footbridges cross the Oos either to hotels, gardens, some private bridges leading to lavish personal residences. At the end of the walk we spot a 1 series parked on the street.
Next we went to the baths at Friedrichsbad. It is a 2.5-3.5 hour ritual of going through a series of showers, suanas, steamrooms, pools and optionally a massage (approx 17 steps in total). The only catch is that it's nude throughout the entire process. I thought it would be uncomfortable, but all the other participants seems to have a more relaxed, respectful and nonjudgemental attitude towards nudity so I was surprisingly unphased for the most part, even in the pools that were shared by men and women. We emerge from the baths relaxed and refreshed. We have dinner at a bistro and I sample another dunkel (note: I ask for a dunkel almost every time and have no had the same one twice, it was great. You know how may times you would just get like a budweiser or some crap beer if you walk in to a bunch of random bars here in the states?).

Overall, Quellenhof was an okay and average city-type hotel. The baths were really fun and different, and the Allee is not to be missed!

Day 5: We leave Baden Baden bound for Unterpinswang near the town of Reutte in Austria. We reserve a room in a working farmhouse called the Gusthof Zum Schluxen. On the autobahn I break the break-in rule and come really close to 120mph. The inn/restaurant and more charming than we expected. It's set in the valley surrounded by mountains more or less on all sides with many hiking trails (it is said you can even hike/bike to Neuschwanstein from here!). They also keep deer and horses on the grounds as well. We stop and share a meal of Tyrolean Grostl (I found out later it is just a convenient way Tiroleans eat leftovers, however here at the restaurant it is pan fried potatoes, bacon, and some strips of steak- how can you POSSIBLY go wrong with that?!) which we wash down with a local beer. We go hiking up a trail intended for use by both mountain bikers and hikers alike, benches are staged at various points along the trail (possibly to watch the sunset over the mountains since they seem to all be at perfect locations for this).
The farmhouse menu provides a variety of game not commonly found in most day to day menus (I think while we were there, they had venision, goose, rabbit and boar in addition to regular menu items).

Day 6: We havea a short breakfast downstairs in the Schluxen and then head to the tourist spots with the top down some more! We stop at Neuschweinstein first, but between the line, the wait, and the volume of people we felt like it just wouldn't be that enjoyable so we drive to the Zugspitze instead...all the while grateful to have nav in these remote areas!
We arrive on Lake Eibsee and purchase a pait of tickets for the transport up (I say transport because the round trip tickets are good for either the rail or the cablecar to/from the top).
Even though we are told it is still in their peak season, the wait for the lift was not long (I guess they must run more frequently).
At the top of the Zugspitze was a few small foodstands and a restaurant as well as many viewing points. Alot of people up top, but not crowded. We get a few beers, a pretzel and some kind of sausage at Germany's highest biergarten. The views here are, pardon the cliche, breathtaking and nothing short of awe-inspiring...I cannot properly describe it in words but if you make the trip there I will say that in fair weather I doubt you will be disappointed.
One stairwell was closed off, this lead to a footpath secured only by cables and a few rough hewn steps which would lead the brave hiker/climber to the very top of the Zugspitze...though closed many people went through and found their way to the top regardless (I think maybe I will save this for the next trip when I am feeling braver possibly).
We take the cablecar down one stop to take the train cogwheel train back down instead of the cable car, there is another restaurant at this lower landing as well as alot more walking space on the mountain as opposed to manmade platforms. Germany's highest church also can be found here as well as more unbelieveable views!
We go back to the Schluxen and have some amazing weinerschnitzel and venison for dinner.

Overall, the Schluxen is a great place to stay and has even better food if you're in the neighborhood. The only bad thing I can say is that we had no hot water in our shower the two days...can't really explain why since the hot water seemed to work fine downstairs in the restaurant bathrooms it was the only thing that kept this particular stay from being perfect.

Day 7: We leave Unterpinswang for Munich!
Due to the fact the we booked really late (like 2-3 months ago) lodging was difficult to find so we ended up staying at the Sheraton Arabella Westpark, however it worked out well sinc ethis Sheraton was walking distance to the Oktoberfest! Also only about 3-4 stops on the U-bahn from Marienplatz and the U-bahn stop was literally outside of the hotel so we did get quite lucky. Once we arrive at the Sheraton we take a quick shower (so nice to have a hot shower since we weren't able to get them at the Schluxen), and then figure out the transit system for a quick walk around Marienplatz. We stop at the famous Hofbrau Haus for some beer and snacks and then off to get a few gifts for people back home from Dallmayr's. BTW- if anyone knows where I can get Händlmaier's mustard in New York, please drop me a pm when the opportunity arises!
We return to the hotel, drop off our purchases and head off for the Oktoberfest.
It's our first time so just figuring out how to get a beer took a bit of time. We walked in to a few tents and, I have to say even with what everyone's said I was nowhere near prepared for the party atmosphere! Germans/Oktoberfesters really know how to throw a party and apparently really don't hold back! With no seats to be found anywhere we find a seat in the outdoor seatin areas, alot of the tents serve outside in beergarden-like areas as well so we found some seats there and ordered 2 liters or Oktberfest beer. Wow, at a liter each we won't be having a six-pack of these, that's for certain! It's a great time, alot of fun, and definitely has to be experienced at least once! I don't have any photos from this, mainly because I knew I would be drinking and couldn't be responsible for what would happen to it later! (...I am so glad the hotel was walking distance from the Wiesn!)

Day 8-9: Cant type more hand tired.
Advertisement
Old 10-01-2007, 10:01 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '08 335i 'vert: soon
nice pics - thanks for the report.

2006 A6 3.2L Quattro

2008 335i convertible, 6sp MT, Montego Blue/Saddle, ZSP, Bluetooth, iDrive, PDC
2007 335i Coupe, 6sp MT, Montego Blue/Beige, ZPP, iDrive, PDC
2006, 325 Arctic, Beige, ZPP, iDrive, Xenon, Steptronic - Totalled
Old 10-01-2007, 12:03 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 328i 'vert
WONDERFUL pictures! Thanks for sharing!
Old 10-01-2007, 02:21 PM
Driving 'en Plein Air'

Mein Auto: 435i vert ED July 2014
Wonderful report and some truly great pictures! Thank you for sharing

F33 435i M-Sport | Mineral Grey | Oyster/Black/Estoril | 441M 18" Wheels | Driver's Assistance | Premium | MDHP | M-Sport Brakes | MPPK for added weight | MPE to round it off

ED 2014: Click here to view ED report | ED 2008: Click here to view ED report | PCD Re-Delivery: Click here for PCD Report

RETIRED: 2008 E92 335i Coupé | BMWCCA Nº. 383753
Old 10-01-2007, 02:37 PM
'festing and lovin' it

Mein Auto: '08 535i
excellent piece of writing with tremendous visuals

thank you

ED: 10/4/2007-10/12/2007
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=237932

'00 328Ci
’00 ML55
’05 X5
’08 535i
’09 Maxima
’12 RX350
Old 10-01-2007, 02:44 PM
-- Robert S. Johnson 56FG

Mein Auto: 2008 535i
Great pics and a classic report.

535i, Monaco, Cream, Light Poplar, Comfort Seats, PP, Nav, ED.
Old 10-01-2007, 03:46 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 328xi wagon
Photography buff as well as a car enthusiast--having a top down E93 sounds like a way to bring the ED experience to a new level
Old 11-20-2007, 11:45 AM
Awesome power!

Mein Auto: 2007 Alpin Weiss 335ci
Nice report pendragon. Been there and done all that. Always good stuff. Head off to Switzerland next time. Even nicer. http://picasaweb.google.com/berford/...ey=uGnlSSrqMTY

2007 BMW 335ci, Alpin Weiss, saddle brown, SP, PP (tree trim), Step, hot seats. Mod free. As pictured: on SSR GT1s with Goodyear F1s. AKA "White Lightnin'"
2012 Mini Cooper Hardtop S in chili red with white mirrors, top and racing stripes. AKA "Big Red S."
Euro Delivery pics here: http://picasaweb.google.com/berford/GermanyAndSwitzerland2007?authkey=uGnlSSrqMTY
Old 11-20-2007, 12:18 PM
3 pedals only!

Mein Auto: 2008 550i Carbon Black
Am I somehow missing out on bring-random-old-threads-back-from-the-dead day?
2006 E83 X3, Silver Grey/Black, ED 15 May 2006. (retired)
2005 E46 330i, Jet Black/Black (retired)
2002 E46 325i, Electric Red/Black (retired)
Old 11-21-2007, 11:16 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 E92 M3 ZCP
Quote:
Originally Posted by iversonm View Post
I'm glad this thread was revived. I missed this tremendous write up (and pictures) the first time around.
Old 11-21-2007, 12:15 PM
'Fest Sponsor

Mein Auto: BMW X3
Wow,that was awesome ! Thanks for sharing that !

BMW of Crystal Lake | email: irv_robinson@yahoo.com
For detailed ED information, visit my BMW European Delivery website and my autos blog
Wall Street Journal article on BMW European Delivery
Old 11-21-2007, 01:03 PM

Mein Auto: '15 M3 (ED)
Quote:
Originally Posted by iversonm View Post
Maybe iversonm is suffering from redelivery wait crabbiness. I've found it is best to tread carefully around those people.
Old 11-21-2007, 04:27 PM
3 pedals only!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanuck View Post
Maybe iversonm is suffering from redelivery wait crabbiness. I've found it is best to tread carefully around those people.
I AM NOT!

Old 11-21-2007, 04:37 PM
3 pedals only!

To help ease the redelivery anxiety, I ordered my winter tires today.

Next week, you'll find the wheels spread out in the garage, with me in the middle in a lawn chair making motor sounds.