Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > European Delivery

European Delivery
The place to share your experiences and tips related to "ED"... View the ED Wiki -- View the Pick-Up Date Calendar -- Add Your Pick-Up Date to the Calendar

Old 02-16-2014, 06:22 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: bmw 3 series convertible
Salzburg to Venice on A10

has anyone taken this road to Venice? as I am not a big fan of high bridges, is this a major road versus going through Verona?
last time at Neusch. castle was in 1976. How do you get there from Munich and is it on the way to Salzburg?
We have a 15 day late May trip planned in our 428i xdrive convertible
We will return from Rome/Florence through the Brenner pass
thanks for any additional advice on things to do around Munich and on way to Rome and Florence (see my sister's farm there www.corzanoepaterno.com)
Should i consider driving south of Rome??????????
My wife and I are open to all ideas from visiting the Ferrari museum to driving the east coast of Italy
Please provide any ideas that were super special to you on your ED trip!
thanks
david
Ads by Google
Old 02-16-2014, 07:03 AM
Driving 'en Plein Air'

Mein Auto: 435i vert ED July 2014
Many questions

Yes, you can go to Neuschwanstein Castle from Munich to Salzburg given the time. A beautiful drive from the castle to salzburg losely along the Alpinestrasse. A possible route map is here.

On my July ED in a 435i Vert, my planned route from Salzburg to Venice takes me through the Grossglockner High Alpine Road and will be one of the highlights of our trip. You have to check however if it will be open for your dates. The route can be found here

Your sister's farm is really nice and well located. Our next ED will likely entail renting a farm house in Tuscany and from there take day trips as well as overnight in Rome by train. That's the plan There is a lot to see south of Rome: the Amalfi Coast is absolutely glorious and a worthwhile visit. But you can't do that in two days

The problem is that there is so much to do in limited time, and you may wish to save some for future trips allowing you to immerse yourself in the experience however limited.

Preparing for July 2014 ED campaign: 435i Cabrio M/Sport ~ with Mrs. Poc's blessings for some twisty roads
F33 435i M-Sport | Mineral Grey | Oyster/Black/Estoril | 441M 18" Wheels | Driver's Assistance | Premium | M-Sport Brakes | MPPK for added weight | MPE to round it off

RETIRED: 2008 E92 335i Coupé
ED 2008: Click here to view ED report
PCD Re-Delivery: Click here for PCD Report
BMWCCA Nº. 383753
Old 02-16-2014, 07:41 AM

thanks!!

since we are signing for car tomorrow, our trip is wide open with my sister's farm as our base
my parents lived in Rome in the late 1940s as did my sister so we will probably just train there and leave car
really we are just looking for some great fun driving trips between Munich and as far south as Rome
hate driving mountains road as fear death!! give your credit for doing that great trip you have planned
my sister's farm is famous for their cheeses: when we did and ED 7 years ago, we arrived the day that anthony bourdain was filming there
check out the villa corzanello for renting through agrotourism. 10 of us were there 2 years ago
Old 02-16-2014, 08:53 AM
Driving 'en Plein Air'

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddoran View Post
since we are signing for car tomorrow, our trip is wide open...
Advanced congratulations on the new car!

Quote:
hate driving mountains road as fear death!!
You are not going to want to drive the litorale on the Amalfi coasts then [ ]

Preparing for July 2014 ED campaign: 435i Cabrio M/Sport ~ with Mrs. Poc's blessings for some twisty roads
F33 435i M-Sport | Mineral Grey | Oyster/Black/Estoril | 441M 18" Wheels | Driver's Assistance | Premium | M-Sport Brakes | MPPK for added weight | MPE to round it off

BMWCCA Nº. 383753
Old 02-16-2014, 09:24 AM

amalfi is 100% out

funny i can ride as passenger but not as driver on roads like
we visited our daughter who was peace corps peru high in andes
drove in a taxi on mountain roads to her site up at 16,000' on loose gravel with no barriers
yikes
Old 02-16-2014, 09:26 AM

435i xdrive conv not available

wish that 435i xdrive convertible was available
will have to settle for 428 which will be ok
Old 02-16-2014, 02:09 PM

Mein Auto: '00 E46 Sedan & '14 GC
A10

Quote:
has anyone taken this road to Venice? as I am not a big fan of high bridges, is this a major road versus going through Verona?
last time at Neusch. castle was in 1976. How do you get there from Munich and is it on the way to Salzburg?
We have a 15 day late May trip planned in our 428i xdrive convertible
We drove the A10 from Venice to Salzburg several years ago and drove the section just north of Venice last September. I don't recall any high bridges. My recollection is that it is an easy drive.

Neuschwanstein is a bit out of the way when travelling from Munich to Salzburg, but,as suggested by SJAPoc, it gives you a good excuse to drive the Alpenstrasse which is a very scenic road and not at all scary.

I have driven into Rome and through Naples (in rental cars) and would not recommend either drive to anyone. There are many things to see south of Rome. Pompeii and Herculaneum for their Roman era ruins, Paestum for its Greek temples and nearby Buffalo Mozzarella (perhaps you should not be visiting one of your sister's competitors) and the Amalfi drive (you can take a bus tour if you are uncomfortable driving on cliff-side roads). And Naples' National Archaeological Museum contains a large collection of the finer Roman artifacts from Pompeii and Herculaneum. It is well worth seeing but I would avoid driving into Naples.
Old 02-16-2014, 02:58 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 328i
Avoid driving inside Rome as well, not just Naples. I would wet my pants....
Old 02-16-2014, 03:17 PM
Driving 'en Plein Air'

And apart from all else, parking in Rome is impossible!

BMWCCA Nº. 383753
Old 02-16-2014, 06:22 PM

drive to outside of rome

agree that will not drive near Rome
just want to drive nice country roads with top down
when at my sister's farm 2 years ago, we drove out to lucca one day and another to volterra
then a cruise ride through chinativille
this time we are thinking of a trip to orvieto and assisi
want to see antinori's new wine museum/office south of Florence as seen in NY times

when i drive over high bridges, my palms start sweating from glands i didnt even know existed! origin is when i motorcycled over these bridges and feared hitting metal grates
40000' up in a plane there is no problem!

thanks for all your advice

dd
Old 02-16-2014, 10:27 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 528xi Titanium Sil.
Wow your sister's farm looks terrific! Be sure to post more pictures when you go.
2008 535i /Step/Tit Sil (gone)
2009 528xi Step/space grey(gone)
ED 03/30/2012
2012 528xi Titanium Sil.
Old 02-17-2014, 05:26 AM
Driving 'en Plein Air'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikie View Post
Wow your sister's farm looks terrific! Be sure to post more pictures when you go.
+!... Look forward to pictures of your adventure. Just have someone else take the pictures while you are driving

BMWCCA Nº. 383753