Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > European Delivery

European Delivery
The place to share your experiences and tips related to "ED"... View the ED Wiki -- View the Pick-Up Date Calendar -- Add Your Pick-Up Date to the Calendar

Old 01-25-2014, 08:39 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 428i M-Sport.
May 2014 ED possible itinerary.

Hey guys,

You all have been very helpful in the process of receiving information about ED and the sorts, so a big thanks for that. I created an earlier thread about ED deals in the Bay Area, and received some itinerary info on there, but I wanted to create another thread for just the itinerary itself. That way you nice people could give me some feedback.

The trip will be roughly 2 weeks, and I hope to cover Italy, Germany, and France. Not too much focus in Germany. The trip will be in May of 2014 with a 428i.

Itinerary:
1. Fly to Rome, spend 2-3 days in Rome.
2. Train to Siena, 1 day in Siena.
3. Train to Florence, 1 day 2 days in Florence.
4. Night train from Florence to Munich, pick up car in Munich. 2 days roughly in Munich area (Neuschwanstein Castle, etc).
5. Drive through Black Forest, 1 day in that region (Staufen im Breisgau).
6. Drive to Alsace region of France, 1 day there.
7. Drive to Strasbourg, 1 day there.
8. Drive to Paris Airport, drop off car. Spend 2-3 days in Paris region.

I have not included specific locations to see in each region/city, but just given the overall gist of the trip. From what I've read in the earlier threads, it's a nightmare to drive in Paris, so that is why the car is being dropped off first and then exploring Paris.

I calculated the total driving time to be roughly 12 hours (not including traffic), so the trip shouldn't be very hectic. Please let me know if you guys have any feedback, good and bad

EDIT: I have updated the post to reflect changes due to feedback from this thread. Older plans are crossed out.

Last edited by guppysb; 01-26-2014 at 01:05 PM.
Advertisement
Old 01-25-2014, 10:14 AM
Don't be a left lane hog

Mein Auto: Golf VI R
I would consider Strasbourg to be in Alsace (you'll see the German influence if you order choucroute). 1.5 days seems short to me for Florence, but I understand the need to keep moving.
E90 330i ED June 26 2006- ED Trip Report

"Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?"- George Carlin
Old 01-25-2014, 11:40 AM

Hey Asteroid, thanks for the reply.

I plan on seeing the Uffizi gallery, Academia gallery, Bargello, and the Cathedral in Florence. My co-worker has been to Florence and she tells me that you could easily do that in 1 day. Google maps shows that all 4 locations are about 15 minutes walking distance of each other.
Old 01-25-2014, 04:53 PM
Can has cheezburger

Mein Auto: 550 M-Sport und i3
Quote:
Originally Posted by guppysb View Post
Hey Asteroid, thanks for the reply.

I plan on seeing the Uffizi gallery, Academia gallery, Bargello, and the Cathedral in Florence. My co-worker has been to Florence and she tells me that you could easily do that in 1 day. Google maps shows that all 4 locations are about 15 minutes walking distance of each other.
You can easily do all that if you have reservations and there are no lines.

You can also spend 7 hrs in line waiting to get into the Academia. I've seen it.

What you are proposing is like hitting every attraction in the Magic Kingdom @ Disney World in a single day. Possible, but unlikely.

I honestly think you're trying to cram to many cities into one trip. Strongly encourage you to cut out 2 maybe 3 cities. Based on your itinerary, I suggest cutting Sienna (because Florence is my favorite city in Italy) and Strasbourg.
Old 01-25-2014, 07:44 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: M235i
Quote:
Originally Posted by AggieKnight View Post
You can easily do all that if you have reservations and there are no lines.

You can also spend 7 hrs in line waiting to get into the Academia. I've seen it.

What you are proposing is like hitting every attraction in the Magic Kingdom @ Disney World in a single day. Possible, but unlikely.

I honestly think you're trying to cram to many cities into one trip. Strongly encourage you to cut out 2 maybe 3 cities. Based on your itinerary, I suggest cutting Sienna (because Florence is my favorite city in Italy) and Strasbourg.
+ 1, especially on the reservations. I spent 3 days in Florence and could easily spend another 3... months.
Old 01-26-2014, 12:15 PM

Thanks once again for the replies guys. I was going to do reservations/tour groups for most of the locations with heavy lines. I suppose I'll have to shorten down the list of things I'd really want to see and go from there.
Old 01-26-2014, 12:59 PM
Aviator

Mein Auto: BMWs & Ram trucks
Forego Siena and make it 2 days in Firenze

...and a bunch of old English motorcycles
Old 01-26-2014, 01:01 PM

It seems like everyone loves Florence, I suppose Siena will be cut from the list. Thanks once again for the feedback.
Old 01-26-2014, 01:57 PM

Mein Auto: bmw 3 series convertible
florence

i am doing my second ED in may
getting a 428 convert.

check out my sister's place
www.corzanoepaterno.com

was there few years back when anthony bourdain was filming their cheese making

i love sienna so hard to cut that off your itiniary

dd
Old 01-26-2014, 02:31 PM
Aviator

Mein Auto: BMWs & Ram trucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddoran View Post
Check out my sister's place www.corzanoepaterno.com was there few years back when anthony bourdain was filming their cheese making

i love Sienna so hard to cut that off your itinerary
dd
I know that area well and have, by chance, been to your sister's farm in 2002! What a beautiful area to make your life's work.

...and a bunch of old English motorcycles
Old 01-26-2014, 03:01 PM

Mein Auto: '00 E46 Sedan & '14 6GC
Quote:
6. Drive to Alsace region of France, 1 day there.
7. Drive to Strasbourg, 1 day there.
8. Drive to Paris Airport, drop off car. Spend 2-3 days in Paris region.
My personal favorites in Alsace are Riquewihr and Colmar which are beautiful old towns. Strasbourg is also very pretty but I have only seen photos of the old town. Mulhouse has a fabulous car museum. As I don't like packing and unpacking I would recommend staying 2 nights in Strasbourg and do the other towns/sights in Alsace as a day trip.

If you are a history buff and particularly WWI and WWII you are close to a lot of the action - Fort Douaumont near Verdun is a well known underground structure from WWI and is on the way to Paris. And Fort Hackenberg (Maginot Line of WWII) is 20 or so miles off the road.

You will be happy that you have chosen to drop your car off before sightseeing in Paris. I would rate a car in Paris to be less convenient than using your car in Manhattan. Paris Museums, especially the Louvre, have just as long ticket lines as Florence - maybe longer. The last time I was there you could buy Museum Passes in the Metro Station that serves the Louvre with essentially no line, but if you join the ticket purchase line near the "pyramid" you could spend hours. If you plan to visit only one museum the 2 day pass may not be economical but you will save hours in line, even in May.
Old 01-26-2014, 03:09 PM

Hey Tony, thanks for the tip. Staying in Strasbourg and visiting both those towns sounds like a great idea, especially since they're right next to each other and about an hour away from Strasbourg.
Old 01-26-2014, 05:42 PM
Don't be a left lane hog

Mein Auto: Golf VI R
Quote:
Thanks once again for the replies guys. I was going to do reservations/tour groups for most of the locations with heavy lines. I suppose I'll have to shorten down the list of things I'd really want to see and go from there.
Based on your interests in Florence, if you haven't been to the Galleria Boghese in Rome, it is a must see. Advance reservations are required so don't leave it for last minute.
E90 330i ED June 26 2006- ED Trip Report

"Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?"- George Carlin
Old 01-26-2014, 07:38 PM

Mein Auto: M235i
Also in Florence, I highly recommend the Brancacci Chapel (reservations required), the Medici Chapel, the Palazzo Vecchio and the Ponte Vecchio. If souvenirs are on the list, then add the Leather Market to the Ponte Vecchio.

I've spent a half day in Siena and it's lovely, but I endorse OP's decision to spend two days in Florence if it's his first visit. The original itinerary was walkable in one day, but with little time to pause and appreciate.
Old 01-28-2014, 02:13 PM

Mein Auto: 335i after May ED
I was not too impressed with the black forest - by the time we got there we'd driven the grossglockner road, 2 passes in switzerland, and a lot of the scenic roads in south germany and austria. But the roads are pretty cool.

There's just so much to see over there, hard to prioritize. Go with your gut and plan the itinerary you think you prefer. If you find out you were wrong (like I was when I disregarded advice and stayed in Zurich instead of Lucerne) you can always go back.
Old 01-31-2014, 07:06 PM

All these suggestions look great guys. Thanks once again. I am going to review them with my friend and maybe I'll post a new itinerary once that is finalized.
Old 02-13-2014, 01:40 PM

Mein Auto: bmw 3 series convertible
dkreidel: when are you coming back?

the 650 sheep to be milked twice a day and they need you to help milk and make the cheese at my sister's family farm
come back soon!
why did you go there in 2002?