Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36 /7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36 /7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 roadster and coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 03-17-2003, 03:58 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via AIM to bk3104
Mein Auto: '01 Z3 3.0i
Question How can I remove this...whatever it's called....

It's the plastic piece that sits right on top of the engine. Mines the 3.0. While storing the car during the winter, a few chipmunks or mice made a nice home for themselves inside the engine compartment, right on top of the engine! I got most of the stuff removed and vacuumed out, but there are still a few acorn shells stuck way down in there. Unless I'm doing a good job describing this, which I probably am not, I'll take a picture or two tonight and post them. This plastic piece runs the length of the engine on top of the engine and has black/silver striping. Looks like the intake manifold runs underneath it. It has two circular pieces built into it that look like they may cover a screw to hold it in place. Not wanting to force anything, I didn't try to pry anything off. Can anyone help?
Ads by Google
Old 03-17-2003, 12:02 PM

Mein Auto: M Coupe
Yup, it's those circle covers you want to pop off to get to a bolt underneath each. You can pop off those covers with your fingernails or a screwdriver. Just be gentle to not break the covers (they're probably cheap to replace anyway ). 2 bolts on the center cover and 2 bolts and the oil cap on the cover towards the passenger side.

Yeah I also got some kind of rodent making a home right on top of my engine. Luckily I haven't found any cooking on top of my engine yet.
Old 03-24-2003, 09:04 AM

Re: How can I remove this...whatever it's called....

Quote:
Originally posted by bk3104
It's the plastic piece that sits right on top of the engine. Mines the 3.0. While storing the car during the winter, a few chipmunks or mice made a nice home for themselves inside the engine compartment, right on top of the engine! I got most of the stuff removed and vacuumed out, but there are still a few acorn shells stuck way down in there. Unless I'm doing a good job describing this, which I probably am not, I'll take a picture or two tonight and post them. This plastic piece runs the length of the engine on top of the engine and has black/silver striping. Looks like the intake manifold runs underneath it. It has two circular pieces built into it that look like they may cover a screw to hold it in place. Not wanting to force anything, I didn't try to pry anything off. Can anyone help?
Was able to pop them off and take the cover off. Managed to snake the vacuum cleaner tube down in there and get out all of the chewed up acorns and stuff. Also, on another person recommendation, I popped the airbox cover, pulled the air filter and sure enough, the little buggers had been sleeping in there too. Fished around in the air intake ducting to make sure there was no more residue, buttoned it up and fired it up. Got an airbaga warning light on though....
Old 03-24-2003, 09:34 AM
Butting back in

Mein Auto: GS500F
Get the light checked out, they might have gnawed at the crash sensor connections. Have them check the whole harness... rodents can make a real mess of car electrics.
Old 03-24-2003, 12:02 PM

Re: Re: How can I remove this...whatever it's called....

Quote:
Originally posted by bk3104
Was able to pop them off and take the cover off. Managed to snake the vacuum cleaner tube down in there and get out all of the chewed up acorns and stuff. Also, on another person recommendation, I popped the airbox cover, pulled the air filter and sure enough, the little buggers had been sleeping in there too. Fished around in the air intake ducting to make sure there was no more residue, buttoned it up and fired it up. Got an airbaga warning light on though....
Yep, will be doing that. Got an appointment for 3 weeks from today, which is the earliest my dealer can see me. Next year, I get moth balls!