Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > General BMW

General BMW
Use this forum to talk about general BMW news/stories and to chat with fellow enthusiasts about the direction that BMW is going in for their cars and/or motorcycles!

Old 11-01-2005, 03:32 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 330xi
Vehicle Damaged in Transit...

I'm brand new to this forum and wish I'd known about it MONTHS ago. What a wealth of information with many great members. I've already learned lots and thank you all.

My 330xi, ordered on 8/29/05 should arrive at the Dealer roughly 11/3/05. Understandably, I'm anxious!

Now, I've just been informed by the Dealer that the vehicle was damaged in transit. Can't seem to get details, but apparently there was a bumper scrape. I'm thankful that BMW discloses this info to the Dealer and, in turn, the consumer. I probably would never have known this had it been another manufacturer, but my heart is broken.

What to do... I understand repairs of this sort are performed at the Vehicle Prep Center. They either paint or replace the bumper as needed. Do I refuse the vehicle and re-order another? Do I trust the BMW repairs are virtually factory quality? I feel as if I'm purchasing (top dollar, by the way) damaged goods and am perhaps a little obsessive. Has anyone else had experience with this situation? Thoughts?

(2006 330xi, Monaco / Gray / Walnut, SP / PP / CWP, Nav)
Ads by Google
Old 11-01-2005, 06:31 PM
Officially Welcomed to The 'Fest!

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFins
I've just been informed by the Dealer that the vehicle was damaged in transit. Can't seem to get details, but apparently there was a bumper scrape. I'm thankful that BMW discloses this info to the Dealer and, in turn, the consumer. I probably would never have known this had it been another manufacturer, but my heart is broken.
Mr. Fins - Welcome to the Forum! Sorry to hear about your 330xi. However, if it's just a bumper scrape BMW should do a good job of repairing it.

But - don't get real warm and fuzzy about BMW disclosing this to you. There is a famous U.S. Supreme Court case called BMW of North America, Inc. v. Gore, 517 U.S. 559 (1996) which dealt with an award of punitive damages against BMW of North America (the same people you are feeling warm and fuzzy about) for concealing damage to a car where the cost of repairs was 3% or less of the value of the car. BMW put that policy into effect in 1983. Dr. Ira Gore, Jr. bought a BMW in Alabama in 1990 and 9 months later found out it had been damaged and repaired and neither his dealer nor he had been told about the damages and repairs.

An Alabama jury socked BMW pretty good for compensatory and punitive damages. Dr. Gore proved $4,000 in compensatory damages, and a jury also awarded him $4 million in punitive damages. (That 1000 to 1 ratio was found to be unconstitutional. The current ratio the Court has said will pass muster, is generally no more than 9 times the amount of compensatory damages, in a case called State Farm v. Campbell.)

So, BMW doesn't do what it used to do because that would be considered fraud. That's why you have been told about the damage -- otherwise, BMW would be defrauding you!

If you have any interest in the case, you can go to and put in the case name. Several on line reports of the case will pop up and you can read the opinion in all its shameful glory.

Good luck with your car! I suspect BMW will do a splendid job of repairing it, in part because of Dr. Ira Gore.

Last edited by Malibubimmer; 11-01-2005 at 06:34 PM.
Old 11-01-2005, 07:07 PM
mmm... carbs!

Mein Auto: 2007 E90 335i
I wouldn't worry about a scraped bumper. My ED vehicle had a scraped bumper, and it was replaced with no evidence of a repair. I believe they'll just install a prepainted bumper for you as they did mine.

I'd only be concerned about sheet metal work that involves repainting, as this could reduce the resale value.
Old 11-02-2005, 09:15 AM
IRIX Rocks!

Send a message via Yahoo to dlloyd1975
Mein Auto: 325iT Schlampenschlepper
Quote:
Originally Posted by xspeedy
I wouldn't worry about a scraped bumper. My ED vehicle had a scraped bumper, and it was replaced with no evidence of a repair. I believe they'll just install a prepainted bumper for you as they did mine.

I'd only be concerned about sheet metal work that involves repainting, as this could reduce the resale value.
I had a roundel it lookd like someone tried to pry off the airbag. Unfortunately they had to replace the entire airbag. Which they did for free since it happened between Madrid and St. Louis.

Inspect the car when you get it. If it doesn't look right say so. Otherwise, don't worry. Your car has now been pre-disastered.

The Shaggin' Wagon
2003 Gray Green 325iT, PP, SP, CW, HK, Sand 'Ette
Old 11-02-2005, 09:16 AM
Save the Males!

Mein Auto: Der Reihensechszylinder
Quote:
Do I trust the BMW repairs are virtually factory quality? I feel as if I'm purchasing (top dollar, by the way) damaged goods and am perhaps a little obsessive. Has anyone else had experience with this situation? Thoughts?
One could only assume that the repairs will be of factory. BMW doesnt need another lawsuit like the one that they had. You wont even know be able to tell that anything happened. I say no worries and ask for some free stuff for compensation. You might be able to get some good accesories for the car.
Old 11-05-2005, 02:08 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 330xi
Thank you all for the comments and reality check! I've calmed down.

I picked her up on 11/4, inspected the vehicle, and I'll be darned if I can spot anything wrong. The paperwork indicated a 1 to 3 inch scrape on the front bumper. I specifically requested confirmation that there was no sheet metal damage and was assured there was not. The vehicle is BEAUTIFUL! Lots of stress over a non-issue.

Besides my incessant need to drive it, I'm painstakingly reading the owners manual cover to cover. Every page is another feature description and tip. I'm one of the few who would think so, but it's a good read! I'm pleasantly surprised by the iDrive and Nav features -- takes a little work to learn, but well worth it.

Thanks again, folks. I appreciate your comments!

(2006 330xi, 6MT, Monico Blue / Gray / Walnut, SP / PP / CWP, Nav.)
Old 11-05-2005, 07:59 PM
Officially Welcomed to The 'Fest!

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Thanks again, folks. I appreciate your comments!
Congratulations. You should thank Dr. Ira Gore, Jr., too.
Old 02-15-2006, 01:07 PM
BMW NA Customer Relations

Mein Auto: B M W
I'm with BMW of North America, LLC. I've passed this message on to a BMW NA Customer Relations Representative who will be in touch with you soon.
Old 02-15-2006, 01:22 PM
Im here

Send a message via AIM to 01silber
Mein Auto: 2001 Z3 3.0i
Quote:
Originally Posted by vatkens
I'm with BMW of North America, LLC. I've passed this message on to a BMW NA Customer Relations Representative who will be in touch with you soon.

I guess 41,000.00 was not enough to get bmw to listen when my car had issues
im still out 1800.00 for new leather being that I opted for the special camilian leather which turned out to be a sticky defective mess( Im not alone with this problem)
Old 02-15-2006, 03:11 PM
///M forum moderator

Mein Auto: 88 E30 M3.2, 08 451
Quote:
Originally Posted by vatkens
Wow you guys are on the ball...this is only 3.5 months old!
Old 02-15-2006, 04:55 PM
M Mad

Mein Auto: M Roadster/M3
And the answer will be, " Dealers are independant entities and we cannot control what they do."

'95 Alpine M3 LTW
'00 Dakar M Roadster
'02 Topaz M3
Red/White SRF #4 (Chassis 561)
Old 02-16-2006, 05:03 AM
mmm... carbs!

Mein Auto: 2007 E90 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone
And the answer will be, " Dealers are independant entities and we cannot control what they do."

ding ding ding ding ding....

we have a winner!
Old 01-13-2008, 09:57 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '14 428i vert
I wonder what people's experience is when they go to trade these cars in??? Do you take an economic hit then??

Does BMW provide paperwork work that stays with the car regarding the issue?

I hate to bring this back up...but if your car is repainted you will take a hit later

I have a 650i that was held up at the Vehicle Prep Center for a repair..supposedly a small scratch on the front bumper as well...on $90K car I am not too happy as this could pose issues later....