Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 10-10-2007, 09:23 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 323ci 2000
Red face OBDII Connector inside cabin under dash - MISSING?

I have a 2000 323ci. Getting ready to purchase the Autoxray Code Reader SC-1500. Verified with manufacturer that it will in fact work with BMW cars 1996 or more recent. I know where the OBD "trap door" is under the steering column, where you plug the interface cable to the scan tool, BUT, when I open the trap door cover I can not feel or see any kind of connector in there at all. Checked by feeling around and looking with flashlight, but I can not see any OBD socket whatsoever. I am willing to unscrew everything in that general area to see if perhaps the socket is in there somewhere (perhaps it came loose and needs to be relocated back into position), BUT, before I start doing that and waste my time tearing the dash apart, I wanted to check if by any chance, this particular car does not have an OBD2 socket in there at all. Has anyone out there accessed the OBD connecter under the dash that I am talking about or is the OBD located under the hood (the round one) the only interface socket on this particular car? Any guidance appreciated Mark
Ads by Google
Old 10-10-2007, 09:36 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2000 323i, 97 528i
Its suposed to be located in the trap door thing your talking about. If it isnt I imagine it was taken loose during a repair and not put back in the right spot. It should be in there somewhere so yep its time to explore some
Old 10-10-2007, 11:11 AM

Mein Auto: bmw
I have a feel the round 20-pin connector under the hood is the only one. On 2001 and on, they used the 16pin under the dash.

Technik Engineering ASA Stage 1 Supercharged E46 M54B25.
NASA TTD So Cal. Track blog: VSETrack

Old 10-10-2007, 12:02 PM

Ive got a 2000 and it has both connectors. The one under the dash and the one under the hood so yes the one under the dash should be there.
Old 10-10-2007, 12:15 PM
Ubergeek

Send a message via AIM to KrisL Send a message via Yahoo to KrisL
Mein Auto: 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Paddle.Shift View Post
I have a feel the round 20-pin connector under the hood is the only one. On 2001 and on, they used the 16pin under the dash.
I don't think that's the case, since 1996 it's been US law that all cars have a ODB2 connector. I think BMWs up to and including 2000 had both.
Old 10-10-2007, 12:36 PM

The connector under the hood is for programming the car. The diag port is the one under the dash.
Old 10-10-2007, 12:57 PM
Ubergeek

Send a message via AIM to KrisL Send a message via Yahoo to KrisL
Mein Auto: 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by crowz View Post
The connector under the hood is for programming the car. The diag port is the one under the dash.

Well, a certain amount of diagnosing can be done via ODB2 too - diagnostic is the D in ODB . BMW would only pass off enough diagnostics down to the ODB port to be legally ODB compliant.
Old 10-10-2007, 01:14 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 323ci 2000
Many thanks to all for the advice on this. I will dis-assemble the panel underneath the steering column and see if I can find the OBD socket 'floating' around in there somewhere. I agree with the posts that there certainly should be an OBDII connector in there as the car is a year 2000 model and anything younger than 1996 was mandated to be equipped with an easily accessible OBDII in the cabin. This was my first post on this forum, great sense of community here, and I look forward to giving back anytime I can help someone else out. Thanks again! Mark
Old 10-12-2007, 04:20 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 318i m-sport 5 spd!
did you find it? i have the same car as you and it should be there... i have both too!! would be weird if you didnt have one.