Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E30 (1982 - 1993)

E30 (1982 - 1993)
God's Chariot. The E30 was produced primarily from 1982 through 1991. The cabriolet was the one exception which was produced through 1993.

Old 10-11-2007, 02:31 PM

Mein Auto: 1991 318i
Power window ciruit breaker.

Hey Bimmer fans,

I JUST bought a 1991 318i. I've had some fun over the last week working out its kinks, but I'm against a wall now. Don't worry, I've done the diagnosis, now I just need help with the cure. When I purchased it the two rear windows were inoperable. I took out all the switches and cleaned them. After that my back right still didn't work, but back left was online. about 100 kms later ALL four of my windows cut out totally. I replaced #17 fuse, clicked circuit swith above and to the right of shifter, and then finally pried it out. It was completely melted away from the wires at the bottom and carries the distinct smell of electrical fire. The #17 fuse I took out to replace was a huge silver thing that looked decidedly un-blowable. I am thinking the previous owner put in some super fuse that would not trip and eventually that just overloaded the circuit breaker switch itself. Does that make any sense. Anyway, I would love to know if there is any way to repair the switch, and if not, how to go about getting a new one and installing. Thanks a lot.
Advertisement
Old 10-12-2007, 01:05 AM
Go Fast

Send a message via MSN to AdamAnt
Mein Auto: 1986 325e
I'm sure you could find one at a wrecker, easy to replace, check ur wiring first, make sure the window regulators are in good condition, try and find out what caused the problem or you will be blowing fuses like crazy.
Old 10-14-2007, 12:24 AM
livin large

Mein Auto: 2012 hypermotard 796
Im kinda in the same situation. all four windows where working fine. then i got my car detailed, and now none work. and the fuse has power and i thought it was the switches. so i tried jumping the wires and there is no power to any of the switches.

im stumped, someone please lead me to something.
Old 10-14-2007, 05:27 AM
Go Fast

do u know where the circuit breaker is?..also try it with ur interior lights switched to the middle position, sometimes helps..no idea why
Old 10-14-2007, 11:33 AM
livin large

no i checked it out on alldata and checked where they said it was and no nothing. so anything will help right now before i rip the car apart
Old 10-15-2007, 06:41 AM
Go Fast

it should be above your radio, next to your rear window de-mister button
Old 10-15-2007, 06:20 PM
livin large

ok i was wondering what that was