Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series DIY

7 Series DIY
Do It Yourself forum dedicated for 7 Series BMW Owners

Old 03-28-2009, 09:03 PM

Mein Auto: 745i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Bimmer View Post
uh, newsflash, there are 2 silver buttons on the back of your wheel too.
yeaaa i read that somewhere online, but not in the manual. I never found 2 silver buttons on the back of my wheel, i actually have a steering wheel cover on so i never went into it, but does this really mean NO american models have steptronic shifting?
Old 03-28-2009, 10:39 PM

Mein Auto: 745Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlySkills View Post
yeaaa i read that somewhere online, but not in the manual. I never found 2 silver buttons on the back of my wheel, i actually have a steering wheel cover on so i never went into it, but does this really mean NO american models have steptronic shifting?
BOTh buttons downshift in America. Euro models are different, according to my dealer.
Old 03-30-2009, 01:52 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E46, E60 550iM, E66 745Li
well i have seen some models here in the US that can upshift and down shift via those buttons but i really havent seen too many of them.....

i was upset when i bought mine and it did not have the function to do this as a friend of mine's did
Old 03-30-2009, 12:09 PM
bmw addiction

Mein Auto: X5d
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWJim View Post
well i have seen some models here in the US that can upshift and down shift via those buttons but i really havent seen too many of them.....

i was upset when i bought mine and it did not have the function to do this as a friend of mine's did
a simple search would of showed you that us spec 02's can only downshift

2012 X5d | White on Black | Fully Loaded | Sport Package
Black Trim Painted White

-2009 E320 Diesel | White on Black | H&R Springs | Kleemann KD-Box | 20" Monarch Hamburg Rims
Black Roof | E63 Rear Lip | Hood Emblem Delete | Foglight Chrome Trim Delete Gone

-2003 760LI Titanium Gray Metallic | Every option | H&R Springs upfront , via computer in rear
OEM Style 128 21" wheels | 40% tint | AIB Angel Eye's w/ matching foglights Gone
Old 04-01-2009, 12:01 AM
Beam Me Up Scottie

Mein Auto: 745-LI
It works

I tried it today, and O' What a difference, the tranny shifts smooth. The only problem i have now is the front headlights have a little orange bulb in them and they get hot and when they do the tend to burn the plastic, the dealership has replaced the whole light set once. does any one know if you can put a lower watt bulb in the light its very small but powerfull. 05 747,

THANKS AGAIN FOR THE GREAT TIP, even the dealership was aughed.
Old 04-04-2009, 07:05 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 730d, SL 55 AMG
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlySkills View Post
Alright..In the manual this said it comes with only Canadian models (2002-2005 i think)..but i dont know, maybe some of you guys have this too. it's called shifting with steptronic, which lets you shift manually, kind of like stick-shifting, but with buttons! if there is a S>M>D button on ur steering wheel, then you can do this. S is sport mode, for performance-based driving. D is the normal Drive mode if you want to go back to it. M is manual driving, which I am talking about. there are 2 silver buttons on the top of the steering wheel, which let you shift up or down. Now, i only read this once..so i might be wrong about this whole thing, but, the right one is to shift up, while the left one is to shift down. i never tried this yet, but it looks fun, and let's you take a break from the boring automatic transmission driving. i also put a pic:
I think this comes with all cars, I believe that the steptronic if handled correctly can bring out the faster acceleration in this car, meaning it's faster than just putting it in Automatic and pushing the gas pedal all the way, if you change via the steptronic at the right RPMs it will go faster than the automatic mode..

The two front buttons on the steering wheel are for downshifting, while the two buttons on the back of the steering wheel are for upshifting.

I don't know why they did it this way, it would be much better if the right front one was for upshifting and the left front one for downshifting. I figure they wanted to make it possible for the driver to shift gears while having one hand only on the steering wheel.
Old 04-04-2009, 11:45 AM

Mein Auto: 745i
Quote:
Originally Posted by 730dMaster View Post
I think this comes with all cars, I believe that the steptronic if handled correctly can bring out the faster acceleration in this car, meaning it's faster than just putting it in Automatic and pushing the gas pedal all the way, if you change via the steptronic at the right RPMs it will go faster than the automatic mode..

The two front buttons on the steering wheel are for downshifting, while the two buttons on the back of the steering wheel are for upshifting.

I don't know why they did it this way, it would be much better if the right front one was for upshifting and the left front one for downshifting. I figure they wanted to make it possible for the driver to shift gears while having one hand only on the steering wheel.
+1, never thought of the "one hand shifting theory."
smart.

Old 04-14-2009, 07:49 PM

Mein Auto: 03 745LI
i have an 03 and it was right side downshift, left upshift. then all of the sudden (dont use it all that often) probably after a visit to the dealer and getting my "complimentary" reprogram, now both fronts downshift and rear upshift. how did i find out you say? racing a porshe and kept kicking it down...argghhhhhh.
these reprograms can be a mess. car going to sleep and not waking up was one that they never could fix.
Old 05-07-2009, 08:44 PM

Mein Auto: M3, 750i, 325iC, 323i
I just found this out tonight! Sorry if it's been posted before...

If you have the convenience package, when you press in the door handle to lock the car, keep holding it in.... the windows will close and the mirrors fold in!

2007 750i
2000 323i
1995 M3
1991 325iC
2006 MINI Cooper
Old 05-07-2009, 09:26 PM
2005 745Li

Mein Auto: 2005 745Li 21" 128's
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkasser View Post
I just found this out tonight! Sorry if it's been posted before...

If you have the convenience package, when you press in the door handle to lock the car, keep holding it in.... the windows will close and the mirrors fold in!
Pretty cool
Old 05-08-2009, 05:40 AM
Account closed at users request

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW 745i
you can make the cd changer flap go up and down by pressing the eject button 2 times quickly in succession and the cd changer wont pop out.

below this change hiddent thing is a roller type switch....what does it do ????
Old 05-08-2009, 05:42 AM

there is a hidden change compartment in the front of the center console wall...

Old 05-08-2009, 08:11 AM

Mein Auto: 760Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by joegwillett View Post
there is a hidden change compartment in the front of the center console wall...

it allows A/C to come through the little holes and cool the center compartment.
Old 05-20-2009, 05:35 AM

thank you ....yes it does...I just tried it out...thanks so much!!!
Old 08-06-2009, 09:38 PM
2007 760Li User

Mein Auto: 2007 760Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by didihala View Post
That feature has been around as long as I remember. What would be nice is the reverse action -- add a button/modify current lock button to close all windows/sunroof and lock the doors. (I know you can do this by using the key in the door lock).

I know I'm digging up an old post here.....but...

On my UK late 2006 (2007 model) 760Li with comfort access you get the following:

1. Press (& hold) the keyfob unlock button and all the windows and the roof open.
2. Press (& hold) the keyfob lock button and all the windows/roof close and the mirrors fold up. The alarm is armed also.

No.2 above can also be achieved by holding in the door handle while the keyfob is local to the car.

Also, if the mirrors were folded up using procedure no.2 above, they auto fold out when you:
1. Press the keyfob unlock button.
2. Pull the door handle while the keyfob is local to the car.

Is this not the same in the US..?

Anyways, be gentle, it's my 1st post here...

Last edited by Mr_Burger; 08-06-2009 at 09:41 PM.
Old 08-14-2009, 09:32 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 750i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry 745Li View Post
To shut off the mileage and gas indicators you only need to push and hold one button on the turn signal stalk (can't remember which) Pressing and holding the other button will run through all errors indicated by a yellow car icon on the NAV screen. It will not tell you about maintenance items required but will tell you about blown bulbs, low wiper fluid etc.

Jerry
Upper button performes "System Check"
Lower, when pressed for about 3 sec. will "kill" the bottom displays on both gauges.
Old 08-14-2009, 09:48 PM

Mein Auto: 760Li
For those with Active Cruise Control:

When you drive at night, the LCD's behind the needles are off, however when you turn on the ACC system they light up. Once disengaged it stills stays lit. To get them to turn off, press the ACC stalk down (towards the floor) for 5 seconds and they turn off.
Old 09-09-2009, 03:17 PM

Mein Auto: Phila USA
1995 740IL Gauge and warning Lights

Hello everyone, Ive had my 95 740IL and have noticed that the milage lights as well as the warning messages lok like some the little bulbs are blown out so you cant fully read the Messages it tells you, but on rare occassions all the lights are lit and you could read everything Great including the temp settings and the radio station on the dash.
Is the bulbs blown or is this a short of some sort?
Thanks for the responses.
Old 10-11-2009, 11:20 PM
Banned

Mein Auto: N/A
do u noe if you put the key in the ignition dont hit start just move the indicator stalk to right or left the blinker wont cum on but the angel eyes will left or right
Old 11-14-2009, 01:54 AM

Mein Auto: 02 bmw 745i
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlaziman View Post
do u noe if you put the key in the ignition dont hit start just move the indicator stalk to right or left the blinker wont cum on but the angel eyes will left or right
ur kidding
Old 11-14-2009, 12:53 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 745i
It works. Whichever direction the stalk is pressed (left or right turn signal), if you hold it and then remove key from ignition, the light will stay on until you get in the car again. You can even lock the car and the left or right angel eye and rear brake light will stay on.

Was reading elsewhere this is a common feature in most German vehicles so that if you are parking on the side of a narrow street people will be able to see your car at night.
Old 11-27-2009, 11:50 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 750Li
On the 750 you only need to press the bottom button on the signal light to have an all black dash.

Do you know how to blacken the Navigation? Answer= On the 750 you will need to go to the 1.main menu, choose one of the options. 2. Choose that same option to go back to the main menu. 3. Then press down on idrive. Navigation screen will go black and only show heat and radio at the bottom.

I hope this helped some one.
Old 12-27-2009, 12:11 AM
Coldpathdoc

Mein Auto: 2007 750Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4realguy View Post
On the 750 you only need to press the bottom button on the signal light to have an all black dash.

Do you know how to blacken the Navigation? Answer= On the 750 you will need to go to the 1.main menu, choose one of the options. 2. Choose that same option to go back to the main menu. 3. Then press down on idrive. Navigation screen will go black and only show heat and radio at the bottom.

I hope this helped some one.
Actually if you press MENU button it will go to the basic menu screen. Then press Idrive down and LCD screen goes black except for bottommost line of information.
Old 01-19-2010, 08:43 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 750i
the very top button
Old 01-21-2010, 09:03 PM

Mein Auto: 745 li
my ABS light comes on with the park sign, the computer says park brake malfunction, can i still drive