Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > European Delivery

European Delivery
The place to share your experiences and tips related to "ED"... View the ED Wiki -- View the Pick-Up Date Calendar -- Add Your Pick-Up Date to the Calendar

Old 05-12-2015, 08:46 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6sp!
What does BMW do if the car isn't ready on delivery day?

I'm not in a state of panic, just asking a question in case it's come up before and some of the long time members recall the outcome.

My car went into production 4/27. Scheduled to be completed 5/15. I suspect the extra build time had to do with the semi-individual paint choice. Today the completion was moved to 5/18 according to the 800 number. Delivery is scheduled for 5/26, however, there is a 3 day weekend in there, so really we have a 4 day float left before we have an issue.

I suspect BMW would find a way to keep our travel plans intact no matter what, but I'm curious and wanted to ask if it's come up before.

ED 5.26.2015: 2015 M3 6sp (tanzanite, silverstone extended, cf roof/trim, executive, lighting, 19" silver wheels, adaptive M, hk sound)
2005.5 A4 Avant (quattro, 6sp, etc. etc.)

** September 11th, 2001 - Never Forget **
Advertisement
Old 05-12-2015, 09:23 AM

Mein Auto: '00 E46 Sedan & '14 6GC
There have been cases where BMW offered a substitute car at delivery. I don't remember the exact circumstances but I think they built the car in the wrong color, or something like that. In your case it appears that there is enough time to get your car to the Welt. So I would save your "worry allowance" for when you can't believe how long it is taking your car to get back home!
Old 05-12-2015, 09:31 AM

Mein Auto: M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trinitony View Post
There have been cases where BMW offered a substitute car at delivery. I don't remember the exact circumstances but I think they built the car in the wrong color, or something like that. In your case it appears that there is enough time to get your car to the Welt. So I would save your "worry allowance" for when you can't believe how long it is taking your car to get back home!
Yes, they confused two different shades of blue because they didn't pay attention to the numerical code and apparently just looked at the name. The English name for the Individual blue the customer ordered was similar to the German name for a different blue. I believe they let the customer take the M3 that was sitting there on the turntable waiting for him even though it was in the wrong color. They couldn't build him a new one in the correct color because his car was one of the last ones produced. I don't remember how that story ended, just that the color was incorrect and BMW finally decided to let him drive the one in the wrong color for his European vacation. It was a complicated story.

I don't remember them not having a car ready for delivery. I think that's why they allow themselves a couple of weeks cushion when they schedule the start of production of a car ordered for ED. And cars scheduled for ED get priority over all the others.

Last edited by Ninong; 05-12-2015 at 09:54 AM.
Old 05-12-2015, 10:08 AM

Ok, so that addresses my concern. The odds of this scenario are infinitesimally small. If it should get delayed further, they will either pack the remaining parts in my trunk or give me another car so my travel plans aren't impacted! Which is good because I don't want to do this much driving in a ford (we're spoiled aren't we) and it would cost me and arm and a leg to rebook hotels.

*edit*
BTW, thank you both! I've been trolling this forum for 2 months and your endless advice is a huge help to us, especially the ED virgins!

ED 5.26.2015: 2015 M3 6sp (tanzanite, silverstone extended, cf roof/trim, executive, lighting, 19" silver wheels, adaptive M, hk sound)

Last edited by RKA; 05-12-2015 at 10:42 AM.
Old 05-12-2015, 12:51 PM

Mein Auto: 435i F33 M Sport Verte
If I recall correctly the M3 is built right there at the Munich factory so worst case scenario is they send you across the street to watch your car being completed.

My car below is parked at the entrance to the Welt and the factory is the big building on the left right across the street (the piston shaped towers on the right are the BMW Corporate Headquarters):

As to prior substitutions I believe there were some European Delivery Cars that were damaged in a hailstorm and replacements were provided for the drivers to use in Europe and then their ordered cars were rebuilt and shipped after the fact. If I recall correctly the provided cars for driving in Europe were not the same model but they were BMWs and not Fords.

Edited to add: Just did a little search and see that in one instance BMW allowed the customer to drive the hailstorm damaged BMW in Europe and then rebuilt him a new one. I do recall someone else being provided a different car for use in Europe but believe it may have been because they had the wrong transmission or something like that and the customer could only drive an automatic or he was insistent on having a deleted option included. He got a "loaner BMW" to drive in Europe and then a new car was built for him with the correct transmission or option that had been deleted.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...ight=hailstorm

Last edited by Northcar; 05-12-2015 at 01:36 PM.
Old 05-12-2015, 01:13 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 Mazda 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northcar View Post
they send you across the street to watch your car being completed.
Actually they ask you to go help

3/12 ED 7 - thread ID 610350
1/11 ED 6 - thread ID 5767556&postcount=175
4/10 ED 5 - thread ID 453501
5/08 ED 4 - thread ID 290679
3/07 ED 3 - thread ID 201013
3/06 ED 2 - thread ID 136454
Old 05-12-2015, 01:34 PM

Mein Auto: F80 ED May 2015!!
[QUOTE=Northcar;9077359]If I recall correctly the M3 is built right there at the Munich factory so worst case scenario is they send you across the street to watch your car being completed. [QUOTE]

The F80 M3 is built in Regensburg factory (Along with the F83 Vert), while the F82 M4 is built in Munich.

OP - To echo others, if the car somehow wasn't available for your ED date (Which I haven't seen happen - yes wrong color happened, but a car was ready for pickup even if it wasn't the right paint) then BMW would definitely give you something similar to drive there, then you'd get your ordered brand new car as a US Delivery.

Remember BMW has a rental program at the factory - they would at worst case scenario give you one of their rentals I'd presume.

Don't worry, this is a facet of the J.I.T. production methodology. Enjoy the car OP!
Old 05-12-2015, 01:35 PM

Mein Auto: M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northcar View Post
If I recall correctly the M3 is built right there at the Munich factory so worst case scenario is they send you across the street to watch your car being completed.
The M4 Cp is built in Munich. The M4 Cv and the M3 are built in Regensberg.
Old 05-12-2015, 01:41 PM

Mein Auto: '11 Z4 35is
Few years ago, my car didn't make it on time for delivery at Freimann. Don't recall what was the cause, but BMW provided me with a car to drive around, while my car was trucked directly to port.
Old 05-12-2015, 01:50 PM

Mein Auto: 435i F33 M Sport Verte
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninong View Post
The M4 Cp is built in Munich. The M4 Cv and the M3 are built in Regensberg.
Thanks for clarifying. From the factory tour in March I recalled at least one of the M Cars was built in Munich and assumed it was the 3 since most of the other cars I saw on the line were 3 series being built there.

Interestingly for the M cars built in Munich the hoods (and possibly even doors) are stamped out in Regensburg and trucked or trained down the hour or two distance to the Munich plant for assembly there.
Old 05-19-2015, 07:02 AM

Well, fortunately I won't need to test BMW's contingency procedures. The car came out of the paint shop on 5/18 and they finished final assembly that day. Today (5/19), it's awaiting transport to Munich. There it will wait one week for ME!

Old 05-19-2015, 11:26 AM
only one screen name

Send a message via AIM to obmd1
Mein Auto: '15 F80 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKA View Post
Well, fortunately I won't need to test BMW's contingency procedures. The car came out of the paint shop on 5/18 and they finished final assembly that day. Today (5/19), it's awaiting transport to Munich. There it will wait one week for ME!
fresh off the line..... perrrfect. They have this "just in time" production thing down to a science.