Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Buyers Guide - Dealers, resources, pricing, tips and trick > European Delivery

European Delivery
The place to share your experiences and tips related to "ED"... View the ED Wiki -- View the Pick-Up Date Calendar -- Add Your Pick-Up Date to the Calendar

Old 08-22-2016, 09:28 AM

Mein Auto: want 440i
Delivery in November!

Hi,

So i planned delivery of my 440i Xdrive Convertible for my 26th Birthday in November. Delivery is November 10th and I'm thinking of going to Europe from the 5th to the 13th. This will be my first time in Europe so I'm trying to plan a multi city trip. However, being November i know that some cities might be too cold to visit but i wanted to get any advice i can get. Which cities do you guys recommend i visit? I will mostly drop off my car the first day and fly to other cities as i want it to get home the fastest possible. I'm looking to see touristic areas as well as some nightlife...thinking of staying at hostels to that i can meet people my age. Any advice would help...Thanks and happy to be joining the BMW family.
Advertisement
Old 08-22-2016, 10:00 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '11 335d
Congrats! I'm not sure about the weather in Nov. aside from I'm sure the Mediterranean cities are still very comfortable. For just the 9 days I'd suggest you limit yourself to 3 or at most 4 locations. I have found that staying at least 2 nights at every hostel/pension/hotel makes for a more relaxing and less hectic holiday and you can get to know others better that way if you are traveling solo.

The first day will be pretty much lost since you'll almost certainly be on a red-eye and will be lucky to get a couple hours' sleep. I'd suggest starting in a major city (Paris, Rome, or Amsterdam would be on my list) and then going to Munich the day before delivery and staying at least 2 nights there. The drop off is right at the airport so you could then fit in one more city comfortably.

That said, you might want to reconsider the quick drop-off so you can drive on the awesome German roads and experience legal speeds double what you'll see in the states.....
Mine #2: 2012 Ford F-150 XLT 4x4 V6 'Ecoboost' twin turbo boat puller dump runner
Sold: 2006 330i Silver/Black MT, ZPP, ZSP, ZC

Last edited by mecodoug; 08-22-2016 at 10:01 AM.
Old 08-22-2016, 03:36 PM

Mein Auto: NA
My pick up date was also Nov 10, but last year. The weather was favorably warm, considering it was Nov. This year might be colder though. Didn't even have the need for winter tires but got them as the law requires them (unless you have all seasons.) We visited Germany from Munich to Berlin; Halstatt to Salzburg, Austria; Ceske Budejovice to Prague, Czech.
One thing to remember, it is 'winter' months and a lot of the tourist areas are closed or on limited schedules.
Old 08-22-2016, 07:24 PM

Mein Auto: '13 320i, occ. use of X3
Go to a library or bookstore and flip through guides to see what interests you. Do what you want, not what others think is educational. Keep your car safe. For some, that means secure hotel parking or avoid Paris or Italy. Others love Italy. . Some like museums, some don't. Some like cars or airplanes or art.

A car can allow you to see the country and small towns. If you see Paris, consider dropping off the car there and taking public transit.

Last edited by Dave 20T; 08-22-2016 at 07:28 PM.
Old 08-22-2016, 07:33 PM

I see you are taking delivery on the 10th and returning the 13th. That means you should stick to Munich, Stuttgart, Salzburg, Nuremberg, or Ingolstadt but not all or most of them.

Before that, consider London, Paris, Berlin or Munich. If you like tanks, there are big tank museums in Munster, Germany and Wool, England.

Last edited by Dave 20T; 08-22-2016 at 07:35 PM.
Old 08-22-2016, 07:46 PM

Ok, how about this....

Arrive 6th in London. Look around London and England for 3 days. Fly a cheap EasyJet flight to Munich on the 9th and look around Munich. Pick up car on the 10th and see the museum or factory if they open. Do stuff around southern Germany for 2.5 days. Cross the border to Salzburg so it will be your third country on your first European trip.

Last edited by Dave 20T; 08-22-2016 at 07:51 PM.
Old 08-22-2016, 07:49 PM
Aviator

Mein Auto: cars with studded tires
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 20T View Post
Ok, how about this....

Arrive 6th in London. Look around London and England for 3 days. Fly a cheap EasyJet flight to Munich. Pick up car. Do stuff around southern Germany for 3 days. Cross the border to Salzburg so it will be your third country on your first European trip.
^^^^ This is a very good plan for a first timer.

...and a bunch of old English motorcycles
Old 08-22-2016, 07:51 PM

Mein Auto: want 440i
Thanks for all the ideas, I'll take those into consideration as i plan my trip...Can't wait already!

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Buyers Guide - Dealers, resources, pricing, tips and trick > European Delivery
Today's Posts Search