Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E21 (1975 - 1983)

E21 (1975 - 1983)

Old 10-15-2007, 10:47 PM

Mein Auto: 81 320is
Air Slice valve

So in conjunction with my earlier post about MSD ignition, I beleive i've narrowed it down to the air slide valve (aux air valve) i tested voltage and have 12VDC to it. When hot it is fully closed (normal) but just now i check when engine was cold..air valve seemed to still be closed, there was a small irragulre opening about the size of 1/8 square...??? I was able to fully open with a small screwdriver....but it snapped back into place...very odd..has any one a picture of the air valve when fully open?

thanks
mods: Sterling Coated LT headers, Bilstein sport shocks and struts, Eibach Pro spring kit, AC removed, BAV gauge pod, MSD ingnition, polyurathane busings, Strut/Shock tower brace, rear mounted battery,K&N air filtration, Ansa Free Flow Muffler, Kosei K-1 racing rims

Last edited by The Dizzel; 10-15-2007 at 10:49 PM. Reason: spelling
Advertisement
Old 10-16-2007, 12:32 PM

Mein Auto: bmw e21 1978 316
hi
i think it open when the car is hot and it close when the engin is cold i ll send u pic for that tomrow
Old 10-16-2007, 03:57 PM

thanks!!
mods: Sterling Coated LT headers, Bilstein sport shocks and struts, Eibach Pro spring kit, AC removed, BAV gauge pod, MSD ingnition, polyurathane busings, Strut/Shock tower brace, rear mounted battery,K&N air filtration, Ansa Free Flow Muffler, Kosei K-1 racing rims
Old 10-16-2007, 07:01 PM

so after removing and inspecting, and removing that little nut on the Aux air valve (STuPid idea) a buddy told me thats how you adjust that...anyway, i "adjusted" it so that when cold there is just a square showing..(that might make sense to some of y'all) she ran okay..but not happy...went driving and put her thru trials...discovered she was starving for fuel when dropping into lower gear, and on the road timing was not "feeling" right. so now i think i got it.... retarded timing by 4degrees, verified to +/_ 1deg which is within spec, adjusted idle to 900rpm..solid...so i will know in the am if it is okay...if not..taking her to the shop