Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 11-08-2007, 08:17 PM
I hate driving in snow...

Mein Auto: 2008 328i Coupe
Smile Please help me with my 328i Coupe pricing

Hi, guys,

I just moved to Chicago, IL. Now I am looking for a new 2008 BMW 328i Coupe.

Options includinig:

STEPTRONIC Automatic Transmission $1,275
Premium Package $3,250
Cold Weather Package $750
Black Sapphire Metallic $475
Gray w/Dakota Leather Upholstery with Brushed Aluminum Trim Included

MSRP $35,300
Invoice: $38,105
Destination charge $775
Final MSRP $41,350 (MSRP+Options)

I sent the quote request to 4 dealers:

Now three replied me:

Best offer: $2,300 off MSRP
Worst offer: $1,240 off MSRP
The one in the middle : $2,000 off MSRP

I came acorss a post somewhere online talking about the below fomular, for the target price, which is the right price he suggested us to try to match:

Target Price = [ (MSRP - Rebate - Low ball offer) ] / 2 + low ball offer

So, for a new 2008 328i Coupe:

True invoice = Invoice - Rebates - Holdback = $38,105 - $0 - $0 = $38,105

Target Price = $40,261

Low ball offer = True Invoice + tax + tags - $2,000 = $38,105 + $2,667 + $400 (estimated Tags) -$2,000 = $39,172

Target Price = [ (MSRP - Rebate - Low ball offer) ] / 2 + low ball offer
= ($41,350 - $0 - $39,172) /2 + $39,172 = $40,261

However, I doubt for a new order, not a in stock one, I can get such a low offer. But I think at least I can make the MSRP price to the OTD price.

OTD price = $41,350 = MSRP + Tax + Tags

The sales tax for me is 7%

Do you guys think OTD price $41,350 is a good deal?

Can anyone give me some idea about this pricing? How can I make the deal with those dealers?

Thank you so much!
Advertisement
Old 11-09-2007, 07:44 AM

Mein Auto: 328i, 981S, RAV4
In OH

I was quoted -$1500 off a coupe out of the box on an ordered car. With the options you've added that could raise that figure a bit. $2000 off MSRP on an ordered coupe sounds like a good deal.
Old 11-09-2007, 07:23 PM

thanks for your information.

actually now I got a $2,300 off MSRP offer, but still think I could get a better deal !
Old 11-09-2007, 08:34 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E93-35 May08 ED
LOL you're in the Chicago area. Send Irv a PM. He's a dealer sponsor. His contact info is in the Sponsors section.

He'll make your entire experience hassle free at a fair price.
E93-35 ED 5/2/08 completed 16:20.
Montego/Jade Gray, Gray Poplar trim, Step w/Paddles, PP, SP, CA, Heated Seats & iPod. 24-mth lease with 19,250 mi/yr. Re-delivery 6/20/08 (1st day of summer); 7-wks total.
[/SIZE]

De-badged 330xi/Mystic Blue/Gray Leather/Alumin. trim/Auto/PP/SP/CA/Fold-down rear seat/alarm. ED date 11/14/05 and redelivery completed 1/14/06. Sold to Carmax 6/7/08 w/ 50,650 miles on the clock
Old 11-19-2007, 08:44 PM

Now I got $2,500 off MSRP now
Old 11-20-2007, 12:21 AM

Mein Auto: BMW
BMW's have roughly 7% mark-up in them.

You're saying you got a dealer to sell you a 2008 (that just came out) for roughly $400 over invoice?

Bull**** mama. Buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuull****.
Old 11-20-2007, 05:03 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 08 E90 335i w/ZSP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matto ELITE View Post
BMW's have roughly 7% mark-up in them.

You're saying you got a dealer to sell you a 2008 (that just came out) for roughly $400 over invoice?

Bull**** mama. Buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuull****.
Agree, it does seem a bit far fetched. Perhaps there's $500-1,000 in assorted dealer, etc. fees to be added. Perhaps Maco/Dag/Training fees also on top of invoice. When I first got a quote of $1,000 over invoice I subtracted it from MSRP and thought I was getting a great discount until I found that there's "raw" invoice and there's the real invoice with Maco/Dag/Training ($480 total), and doc/dealer fees ($200-400). Plus, in the case of a lease, discounts can easily be gotten back by the dealer with inflated acquisition fees and marked-up money factors.
Old 11-20-2007, 05:46 PM
Philosopher-king

Mein Auto: E91, Volvo, Porsche
$2200 off on an ordered wagon -- for a cash sale, so nothing in it for them in the leasing or financing. I'm also getting my $500 back from BMWCCA. Net/net I'm not at all unhappy with the deal.

I coulda done several hundred better driving an hour away but I bought from my local dealer, 5 minutes from home.

So where's my car?
2008 E91 station wagon 20K miles "Classic" BMW inline six, six-speed manual transmission, Alpine, Terra, Xenons, ZSP, ZCW, ZPP, PDC, CA, alarm, M shifter and M brake handle, Euro rear fog light switch, Euro aspheric mirrors, rear power outlets, Euro split armrest, Garmin nüvi custom cupholder mount, Lidatek, V-1 built-in remote display.

"I will give up my stick shift when they pry it from my cold dead hand!"
Old 11-20-2007, 09:17 PM

I just made the deal today !

2008 328i Coupe
New Order
Premium Package
Cold Weather Package
STEPTRONIC Automatic Transmission
Black Sapphire Metallic / Cream Beige / Poplar Wood trim

$1,000 deposit paid today
car configuration and pricing draft at my hand now

Will put $25,000 downpay soon

MSRP: $41,825
OTD: $41,819

Actually I didn't spend much time negotiating the price. Just went to the dealership three times.

First time: test drive. didn't talk about price

Second time: price negotiating for about 5 minutes and was truned down by manager right away

Third time: price negotiating for 10 minutes and made the deal.

haha!

My first BMW !!!
Old 11-23-2007, 08:04 PM

Mein Auto: Audi A4 320
Good Deal, but I'm not the Expert on this Forum

Knock a couple hundred off the best price you got or don't, I'd say it's
a very good deal, esp without having to go into a showroom to get it. A lot of people have theories of "best possible" pricing. I don't pretend to know the microeconomics of absolute best price for your area. But having just shopped around entire East coast, and bargained hard for a coupe with multiple offers, this is a good price *especially* for a coupe, which remain scarce esp when not loaded with every possible high priced option. Sedans are another matter. This will be likely be an order--the brushed aluminum which I also got seems hard to find, and you seem to know exactly what you want.
Old 11-23-2007, 08:13 PM

Mein Auto: Audi A4 320
congratulations

On a great deal and terrific car.
Old 11-25-2007, 11:24 AM

Mein Auto: nothing
Hi... sorry for the stupid questions but
why is Invoice higher than MSRP? I'd think that invoice would be lower to allow the dealer to make $$ on the MSRP. Or, is the MSRP for the car without options, and invoice is what the dealer paid including the options?

I'm mainly trying to understand what to expect from BMW dealers -- how much they'll knock down the price, especially now at the end of the year. All the prices I'm seeing are above MSRP....!?!?
Old 11-26-2007, 09:09 PM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suttree View Post
Knock a couple hundred off the best price you got or don't, I'd say it's
a very good deal, esp without having to go into a showroom to get it. A lot of people have theories of "best possible" pricing. I don't pretend to know the microeconomics of absolute best price for your area. But having just shopped around entire East coast, and bargained hard for a coupe with multiple offers, this is a good price *especially* for a coupe, which remain scarce esp when not loaded with every possible high priced option. Sedans are another matter. This will be likely be an order--the brushed aluminum which I also got seems hard to find, and you seem to know exactly what you want.

Hey, I am not an expert on this forum either I just brought my first bmw. before this, I know nothing about how dealer making money...

actually, everyone thinks they got a good deal, or even a best deal (like me); but I don't think dealership is that stupid. in my theory, dealer won't sell you the car unless they can make profits on the deal. no matter what car you got, no matter how much $$$ off MSRP you got. They will for sure make money out of your pockets Therefore, they always win and they always make money. They have bottom line. We can only try our luck. never dream of eating dealer's profits. hehe.

however, my $2,975 off MSRP is a pretty nice deal ! When the salesman smiled and said "congratulations" to me on the new 328i coupe which is on the way already, I know for the price , they won. but what important is: I am also happy ! I got my first bmw with a nice bargain

Old 11-26-2007, 09:11 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suttree View Post
On a great deal and terrific car.

Thanks, buddy !

but I need wait for two months. will arrive in late Jan, 2008.

cheers
Old 11-26-2007, 09:27 PM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug8888 View Post
Hi... sorry for the stupid questions but
why is Invoice higher than MSRP? I'd think that invoice would be lower to allow the dealer to make $$ on the MSRP. Or, is the MSRP for the car without options, and invoice is what the dealer paid including the options?

I'm mainly trying to understand what to expect from BMW dealers -- how much they'll knock down the price, especially now at the end of the year. All the prices I'm seeing are above MSRP....!?!?

what do you mean "Invoice higher than MSRP?" ? I didn't get your question. Invoice is always higher on MSRP, that's for sure.

generally speaking, invoice is how much dealer got the car; MSRP is the suggested retail price, the price dealr sold to us (if no bargain) usually, the difference between invoice and msrp is dealer's profits, should be 7% difference. that's the basics, based on my understanding

BTW, both invoice and msrp should include options, or packages...

in Winter, it is much easier to get a nice deal ! keep trying. you can take my final OTD price as an example. though it is 328i coupe. you can figure out by yourself how much off you can get
Old 11-26-2007, 09:32 PM

for the color, I finally decided to switch to space gray and interior color is black/gray poplar wood trim. hehe.