Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 10-24-2007, 08:30 AM
Leave gun. Take Canoli.

Mein Auto: 435, Grand Cherokee
Touchy gas pedal

I love the acceleration of my coupe, but I always have to be careful when someone else is in the car because it seems like the slightest touch on the gas pedal causes the car to jump and you really have to baby it to get a nice gradual acceleration. Even when I don't think I'm touching it that hard it jumps and the passenger is always caught off guard. Anyone else notice this?
Old 10-24-2007, 08:35 AM
Mace

Mein Auto: 335i Coupe
Just my wife on a 335i test drive...but then she always complains I'm too heavy on the gas regardless of what I'm driving. Personally, I didn't have a problem with the throttle.

YESTERDAY: '08 335i Coupe, Space Gray, Coral Red, Gray Poplar, 6-MT, ED 10 May '08.
TODAY: '11 M3 Convertible, Mineral White, Fox Red, Extended Leather, Carbon Leather, 6-MT, 19" Style 220M Wheels, EDC, EPS, ZP2, ZCV, ZCW. ED 29 Apr '11. PCD Re-delivery July 27.

Old 10-24-2007, 08:36 AM
Leave gun. Take Canoli.

I remember the brakes seeming touch when I test drove the car, but I'm used to them now. They are much more grippy than my G35.
Old 10-24-2007, 10:08 AM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2014 Mazda3 GT
You'll get used to it. I've driven various BMWs and the one in the 335i is fine. The 325i/328i on the other hand.....throttle response is a bit dull.
Old 10-24-2007, 10:10 AM
Leave gun. Take Canoli.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNMpower32 View Post
You'll get used to it. I've driven various BMWs and the one in the 335i is fine. The 325i/328i on the other hand.....throttle response is a bit dull.
Yea, I certainly don't mind it when its just me in the car because I know I'm about to accelarate. Its certainly nice getting a jumpstart at traffic lights. The 328 loaners I've were a bit slower on the uptake.
Old 10-24-2007, 11:23 AM

Mein Auto: 335i Sedan
I find it's kind of hard to accelerate gradually from a full stop. I drive through a lot of 4-way stop signs everyday, and I find it hard to go through the intersection gradually. If I press the pedal slightly, it won't go, feels like it's tight and have some resistance. If I press on it harder to overcome that resistance, it makes a jerky jump, snapping my passenger's head back. I have to try very hard to press on the pedal in a very delicate and gradual pressure. I have driven many types of cars before, and never experienced this like with my 335i. It seems like below 1500 rpm, the throttle is in-responsive, and you get a big boost at 1500rpm when the turbo kicks in. Given that my car is still yet to break in with less than 700 miles on it, I hope the throttle response will improve. I have the step-tronics, and often drive in D mode. I guess it starts in 2nd gear. With DS mode, the response is slightly better but still not as responsive from a dead stop if I want to accelerate gradually.
Old 10-24-2007, 11:54 AM

Mein Auto: 335i sedan, Cayman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear_H View Post
I find it's kind of hard to accelerate gradually from a full stop. I drive through a lot of 4-way stop signs everyday, and I find it hard to go through the intersection gradually. If I press the pedal slightly, it won't go, feels like it's tight and have some resistance. If I press on it harder to overcome that resistance, it makes a jerky jump, snapping my passenger's head back. I have to try very hard to press on the pedal in a very delicate and gradual pressure. I have driven many types of cars before, and never experienced this like with my 335i. It seems like below 1500 rpm, the throttle is in-responsive, and you get a big boost at 1500rpm when the turbo kicks in. Given that my car is still yet to break in with less than 700 miles on it, I hope the throttle response will improve. I have the step-tronics, and often drive in D mode. I guess it starts in 2nd gear. With DS mode, the response is slightly better but still not as responsive from a dead stop if I want to accelerate gradually.
Still have exactly what you describe, sentence by sentence, at 5500 miles.
Old 10-24-2007, 12:23 PM

Mein Auto: 328xi
Same experience as well. I just received my 328xi auto coupe and experience the unresponsive acceleration from idle. I didn't experience this is the test drive of a 328 sedan so I'm hoping it gets better.
Old 10-24-2007, 12:42 PM

Mein Auto: 335i
I just turned 15K miles on my 335 Sedan - still has that quarky accelerator response. It seems to be worse when it is not completely warmed up. I have also noticed it tends to occur when I am "rolling" through a stop compared to fully stopping.

I have asked the dealer to check it out twice - no trouble found each time.
Old 10-24-2007, 12:43 PM
Leave gun. Take Canoli.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeepBeep View Post
Still have exactly what you describe, sentence by sentence, at 5500 miles.
Ditto. Word for word. I'm at 5900mls, so don't look forward to it getting better after the breakin period.
Old 10-24-2007, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hn777 View Post
Same experience as well. I just received my 328xi auto coupe and experience the unresponsive acceleration from idle. I didn't experience this is the test drive of a 328 sedan so I'm hoping it gets better.
Hmm.... I thought it's only with the 335i, with the turbo kicks in at 1500 rpm. So I guess it's typical for a BMW? This is my first one, so I don't know. It makes it hard to go through all those 4-way stops. I don't want to enter the intersections with a hard launch, 'cause there're a lot of incompetent drivers who don't know when it's their term to enter the intersection. I had seen accidents in those 4-way stops intersection which required a tow truck to haul the damage car away. When I try to go easy on the gas pedal, the car hardly move, and I'm afraid that either I get rear ended or the people on my left and right side think that I'm waiting for them to go and they enter the intersection.
Old 10-24-2007, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snareman View Post
Ditto. Word for word. I'm at 5900mls, so don't look forward to it getting better after the breakin period.
At least I know my car is not the lone BMW that does this.
Old 10-24-2007, 12:51 PM
Road Goober

Send a message via AIM to Nic3quik
Mein Auto: 2008 335i cp
This happens in my 325i manny tranny. I think it has something to do with the engaging system. For instance, if I rev really high and get up to about 20 mph in first gear and just let off, it sucks me back and jerks. Partly engine, partly something else.
Old 10-24-2007, 02:43 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 535i
Quote:
Hmm.... I thought it's only with the 335i, with the turbo kicks in at 1500 rpm. So I guess it's typical for a BMW? This is my first one, so I don't know. It makes it hard to go through all those 4-way stops. I don't want to enter the intersections with a hard launch, 'cause there're a lot of incompetent drivers who don't know when it's their term to enter the intersection. I had seen accidents in those 4-way stops intersection which required a tow truck to haul the damage car away. When I try to go easy on the gas pedal, the car hardly move, and I'm afraid that either I get rear ended or the people on my left and right side think that I'm waiting for them to go and they enter the intersection.
Same experiences here at stop signs and stop & go traffic.
It seems like the brakes are still on just for a sec, even
after releasing the brake pedal. I give it some throttle, not
enough "go", give it some more and bam, wife does the
bobble-head routine.

Of course, she's a bit ticked after a few more of these
incidents. To get back at me, she says that BMW stands
for Broken Metal Waste. She's loves Toyotas (don't know
why) and I tell her that Toyota has something called
Toyota Racing Development (TRD for short). I let her know
there's a reason they named it after poop.

Anyway, back on subject...I read that there is something
called "comfort stop" and that other people are having the
same issues. Anyone else have any info on this?

Last edited by sky; 10-24-2007 at 03:12 PM.
Old 10-24-2007, 02:54 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335i
I'm guessing... all your cars are the steptronics? In that case, it sounds like the torque-converter is locking up just before 1500 rpm, causing the jerking sensation.
Old 10-24-2007, 03:02 PM
Leave gun. Take Canoli.

Overall, I'm so glad to see that so many others are having this issue with passengers and head bobbling. I always feel bad on first dates, like my driving sucks or something. I have to be extra gentle with the pedal when accelerating.

Last edited by Snareman; 10-24-2007 at 03:10 PM.
Old 10-24-2007, 03:09 PM

Mein Auto: 07' E92 335i
I concur with everybody. I put in in M1 from a start. I've found if you just goose the throttle a little and then get back on it does a little better vs. just a slow increase in throttle.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=226259 (Stolen Car Thread ) http://craigsbmw-eurodelivery.blogspot.com (ED Trip)
Old 10-24-2007, 11:28 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 535i
Try it, You'll like it.

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=40018

Check out this thread. I think we have the same transmission. it seems to 'learn' this start problem as i had the same issue. I tried this and it seems to help.
Old 10-25-2007, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLORider View Post
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=40018

Check out this thread. I think we have the same transmission. it seems to 'learn' this start problem as i had the same issue. I tried this and it seems to help.
So many people in that thread said it worked for them. Got to give it a try, even though my car has only 700 miles on it. One user on page 3 of that thread said, "Work on my 05' 545 as well, especially the dreaded pause between pressing the throttle and actually moving forward. Great tips!! Thanks". Oh well, I'll give this "reset" procedure a try and report back.

Old 10-25-2007, 11:23 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 335i Convertible
Touchy accelerator here as well on my 335i convertible. I have 4900 miles and have steptronic

ED Pickup: 5/10/07 ED Dropoff: 5/18/07 On Ship: 5/24/07 Off loaded ship: 6/7/07 VPC: 6/17/07 Re-Delivery: 6/30/07

April 2010, screwed by VISTA Motors on lease buy back!
Old 10-25-2007, 05:50 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 328i, 2004 325i
My wife's 328 (Steptronic) has EXACTLY the same behavior described in Bear_H's post. It's very interesting that Car & Driver magazine had this to say about the throttle response of the new X3:

"Throttle tip-in, especially - whether at step-off or at the apex of a nasty hairpin, is instantaneous yet so subtle as to be initially imperseptible. The drivetrain lets you act like a monkey. You can injudiciously flatten the accelerator mid-turn, or you can jump entirely out of the gas as your courage wanes in a fast sweeper. Either way, there's no lurch, no snap, no windup, no complaint... What's not to love about a vehicle that makes you look good?"

Amazing - what could be more opposite than the behavior so many of us have actually experienced with our cars, across the different 3-series models and transmissions? My wife took hers to the dealer to have it looked at, and they couldn't find anything wrong. I'd have to say that the loaner (a base 328i, also with the Step, or course) had a smoother throttle tip-in than ours. So there seems to be a lot of variability to this trait. Has anybody pursued this more aggressively with BMW? Something's WAY out of whack here...
Old 10-25-2007, 07:24 PM
Leave gun. Take Canoli.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Variocam View Post
My wife's 328 (Steptronic) has EXACTLY the same behavior described in Bear_H's post. It's very interesting that Car & Driver magazine had this to say about the throttle response of the new X3:

"Throttle tip-in, especially - whether at step-off or at the apex of a nasty hairpin, is instantaneous yet so subtle as to be initially imperseptible. The drivetrain lets you act like a monkey. You can injudiciously flatten the accelerator mid-turn, or you can jump entirely out of the gas as your courage wanes in a fast sweeper. Either way, there's no lurch, no snap, no windup, no complaint... What's not to love about a vehicle that makes you look good?"

Amazing - what could be more opposite than the behavior so many of us have actually experienced with our cars, across the different 3-series models and transmissions? My wife took hers to the dealer to have it looked at, and they couldn't find anything wrong. I'd have to say that the loaner (a base 328i, also with the Step, or course) had a smoother throttle tip-in than ours. So there seems to be a lot of variability to this trait. Has anybody pursued this more aggressively with BMW? Something's WAY out of whack here...
YOu're right, that sure is pretty opposite. The dealer won't find anything wrong because they won't view this as a problem with the car. Its just the way it is or something like that will be their line of thinking. I don't know that there is a "fix" that the dealer can do for it. It seems more like BMW has to redesign the thing from the start.
Old 10-25-2007, 07:24 PM
Leave gun. Take Canoli.

Quote:
So many people in that thread said it worked for them. Got to give it a try, even though my car has only 700 miles on it. One user on page 3 of that thread said, "Work on my 05' 545 as well, especially the dreaded pause between pressing the throttle and actually moving forward. Great tips!! Thanks". Oh well, I'll give this "reset" procedure a try and report back.
Anyone tried this yet?
Old 10-25-2007, 08:41 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 328i, 2004 325i
I tried the "fix," and it's hard to say if it worked. The throttle application maybe does feel a but smoother, but I'm beginning to wonder if my mind isn't starting to play tricks on me, because I didn't hear any sound coming from the transmission, as that post described. I'll see what my wife says after driving the car tomorrow...
Old 10-25-2007, 08:42 PM
Leave gun. Take Canoli.

I was going to say... You need to put some poor unsuspecting sole in the passenger seat and give it a whirl.