Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Welcome to Bimmerfest > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions
Welcome to Bimmerfest! Whether you are a current BMW owner or just interested in BMW cars, we hope you enjoy your visit. Take a moment to introduce yourself and post a picture of your BMW for the rest of the community to see.

Old 10-16-2007, 04:45 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 BMW 540it
New Member, Sad Story...

I just bought my first BMW on Friday! 2000 540it 75k miles. Very excited until I went over a small dip in the road very slowly and started to accelerate out of it and it felt like it automatically shifted into 3rd or 4th gear. The transmission fail safe program light went on. I turned off the car and waited a couple minutes and restarted it. It did it again as soon I accelerated not even half way on the pedal. I limped it home in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd in manual mode and it did fine as long as I didn't push to hard on the accelerator. Otherwise it threw it into 4th on its own.

WHAT HAVE I GOTTEN MYSELF INTO??? It seemed so flawless the first few drives in it. Smooth as can be and now not so much!

I've read a few posts and some say alternator, battery, sensors, etc. I took it to autozone to test the battery and alt. and they seemed fine. I took it to BMW and their test didn't show any codes either (check engine light is on). They referred it to Puma? and said they'd give me a call.

Any experience with Puma on this out there?

Just got a response back from BMW and it's the tranny. 75k miles and a tranny?

I'm not happy. Any luck with BMW NA on this issue?
Ads by Google
Old 10-16-2007, 04:48 PM
Retired Official Welcomer

Mein Auto: 2007 550i, 2002 M5
Unfortunately, poop happens....Hopefully you can get a rebuilt cheap. I don't think BMWNA will help out unless there were some existing circumstances that were not corrected before. You have to remember even though the car has only 75K on it, it's 7 years old.
2002 M5 Bluewater Metallic~Black & Silverstone leather~All options~MKIV NAV~VMR VB3 Square set-up~3M tint~BT~Intravee II~Ice V5 AE~DINAN Front/Rear Strut Braces~PowerChip Alpha-N tune~Smoked taillights~Ultimate pedals~BSW Stage 1 Upgrade w/Subwoofer~e60 SSK~ZHP Shift Knob~CF Kidneys~CNS Racing exhaust~LED lighting~Hella Euroclear Headlights~Angeleye DRL's~HID Foglights~Dinan Stage 2 Suspension~CNS Racing Clutch~Sink drains~ExoticsTuning CF diffuser/fog light covers~SuperSprint Headers
Old 10-17-2007, 08:58 AM
Overly Intellectual

Mein Auto: 2002 M5, 1999 M Roadster
This post sounds really familiar... deja vu?