Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series

3 Series / 4 Series
The 3 Series / 4 Series Forum. If you would like to see all new posts in all the forums, click here.

Old 03-19-2003, 09:02 PM
TiAG 330i

Mein Auto: 2002 330i
Will get M-tech done, M Aero available

Went to body shop today and finalized the deal to retrofit M-tech kit. The part will come in a few days. Then painting and installation. It will be done in 2 weeks.

So, my M Aero (OEM Sport pkg) is available for sale. PM me if interested.

Available are:

1. M Aero front bumper, moldings, ducts, fog lights, etc

2. M Aero rear bumper

3. Brand-new M-tech sides (unpainted) because I am not installing the sides.
Old 03-20-2003, 04:50 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X3
Hmmm -- fog lights? If memory serves, the two kits use the same fog lights. And I believe that the fog lights are not included in the M aero II pkg for the sedan.
Old 03-20-2003, 05:21 AM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Mein Auto: 2012 M3 - 2014 528i
Quote:
Originally posted by LMC
Hmmm -- fog lights? If memory serves, the two kits use the same fog lights. And I believe that the fog lights are not included in the M aero II pkg for the sedan.
You're right... hold on to those fog lights! That's almost $200.00 in savings...
Old 03-20-2003, 09:13 AM
TiAG 330i

Quote:
Originally posted by Technic
You're right... hold on to those fog lights! That's almost $200.00 in savings...
Really? Pacific told me the kit comes with fogs. Um... let me call again
Old 03-20-2003, 09:23 AM
Rest in peace, Coach

Mein Auto: '06 MZ4C, '09 WRX Wagon
Why don't you just wait until the M-Tech bumpers are in, painted, and installed before you sell your M-Aero bumper? Who knows what can go wrong with the painting/installation process.
"Bench racing" about track times driven by professionals are like a bunch of nerds arguing which Princess Leia is hotter, the slave Leia or the no-bra jail-bait Leia. No matter how compelling your argument is, the plain and simple fact is, none of you will EVER get to hit that.
Old 03-20-2003, 04:17 PM
TiAG 330i

Quote:
Originally posted by The HACK
Why don't you just wait until the M-Tech bumpers are in, painted, and installed before you sell your M-Aero bumper? Who knows what can go wrong with the painting/installation process.
That's my intention. I have jumped the gun a bit. I can't take off M Aero until M-Tech is in. I have already ordered the part, and whole process should be done in 2 weeks.
Old 03-20-2003, 04:25 PM
Rest in peace, Coach

Quote:
Originally posted by ak330i
That's my intention. I have jumped the gun a bit. I can't take off M Aero until M-Tech is in. I have already ordered the part, and whole process should be done in 2 weeks.
I'd suggest you hold on to you M-Aero for at least 3 months.

My paint started flaking off after 3 month of supposedly "reputable" paint shop work. Apparantly aftermarket paint is hard to apply on fiber glass (which is what the M-Tech bumper is made of, rather than the heavier plastic on the M-Aero) and the flexing on the fiberglass under heat/cooling cycles will cause it to crack and flake off (don't ask me how I know).

When that happens, you'll need to take off your M-Tech bumper and have it re-surfaced and repainted. It can take up to a week for the proper paint/curing process to occur and it'll be in YOUR best interest, to have another bumper available, especially if this car is your daily driver.
"Bench racing" about track times driven by professionals are like a bunch of nerds arguing which Princess Leia is hotter, the slave Leia or the no-bra jail-bait Leia. No matter how compelling your argument is, the plain and simple fact is, none of you will EVER get to hit that.
Old 03-20-2003, 05:02 PM
TiAG 330i

Quote:
I'd suggest you hold on to you M-Aero for at least 3 months.

My paint started flaking off after 3 month of supposedly "reputable" paint shop work. Apparantly aftermarket paint is hard to apply on fiber glass (which is what the M-Tech bumper is made of, rather than the heavier plastic on the M-Aero) and the flexing on the fiberglass under heat/cooling cycles will cause it to crack and flake off (don't ask me how I know).

When that happens, you'll need to take off your M-Tech bumper and have it re-surfaced and repainted. It can take up to a week for the proper paint/curing process to occur and it'll be in YOUR best interest, to have another bumper available, especially if this car is your daily driver.
ooch. let me ask the body shop what they do with fiber glass stuff. Do you and anyone else know how to correctly paint fiber glass bumper?
Old 03-20-2003, 05:43 PM
Rest in peace, Coach

Quote:
ooch. let me ask the body shop what they do with fiber glass stuff. Do you and anyone else know how to correctly paint fiber glass bumper?
Only around L.A. And don't let your bodyshop tell you "yeah, sure, we know how to handle fiber glass stuff." They'll say anything to get your business.
Old 03-20-2003, 06:34 PM
TiAG 330i

Quote:
Only around L.A. And don't let your bodyshop tell you "yeah, sure, we know how to handle fiber glass stuff." They'll say anything to get your business.
I am not in LA. Could you give me some phone numbers for those LA body shops can handle fiber glass stuff? thx
Old 03-20-2003, 06:44 PM
Rest in peace, Coach

Quote:
I am not in LA. Could you give me some phone numbers for those LA body shops can handle fiber glass stuff? thx
How would they be able to help you if you're not in L.A.? Most bodyshop won't touch the parts unless they can have your car there to match color. You don't want the bumper to be painted 2 shades darker than your car do you?

Anyway, deal locally. Most bodyshop can and will accomodate fiber glass parts, if they know what they're doing. I think a higher percentage of flex agent needs to be added and they need to bake the pieces longer.
Old 03-20-2003, 06:53 PM
TiAG 330i

Quote:
How would they be able to help you if you're not in L.A.? Most bodyshop won't touch the parts unless they can have your car there to match color. You don't want the bumper to be painted 2 shades darker than your car do you?

Anyway, deal locally. Most bodyshop can and will accomodate fiber glass parts, if they know what they're doing. I think a higher percentage of flex agent needs to be added and they need to bake the pieces longer.
I want to be more knowledgeable so I can determine whether the local shops can handle fiber glass.

Another question: Is color tinting (matching) absolutely necessary? One shop (recommended by BMW dealer) told me Ti Silver is very popular, meaning paint is either available pre-mixed or is easy to mix. He also mentioned Ti Silver doesn't really need tinting unless color fade is substantial. Does this make any sense to you? My car is only 6 months old and I park in garage.
Old 03-20-2003, 08:13 PM
Rest in peace, Coach

Quote:
I want to be more knowledgeable so I can determine whether the local shops can handle fiber glass.

Another question: Is color tinting (matching) absolutely necessary? One shop (recommended by BMW dealer) told me Ti Silver is very popular, meaning paint is either available pre-mixed or is easy to mix. He also mentioned Ti Silver doesn't really need tinting unless color fade is substantial. Does this make any sense to you? My car is only 6 months old and I park in garage.
I don't know what color tinting is, but color matching is absolutely necessary. My advice to you is run as far away from this shop as possible. Ti Silver is a particularly DIFFICULT color to match, I've seen some disasterous works on TI Silver. If they tell you color matching is not necessary, then they don't know what they're doing. When not matched right Ti. Silver look particularly bad because it's light. Darker colors tend to hide some of the inadequacies of a bodyshop, lighter colors will bring it right out.

Look up online "Marco's Collision and Body" in San Gabriel or Pasadena. They're one of the most knowledgeable shops in my area and talk to someone there to download some pointers...Although I don't know how willing they are to help you if they know they're not getting business from you.

Just to give you a little more advice, my topaz blue is significantly lighter than VinceTopazBlau's topaz blue...Although the paint code and mixing formula should be identical, when parked side to side our two cars almost look like two different colors. Now, do you want to trust a shop that says you don't need to match colors, when BMW's own plant can't get the same color right on two mass produced vehicles?

Also, do a little search for "STUKA" and "PAINT" here...There's a specific computer program and process that bodyshop uses to match paint. Make sure your shop uses that.
Old 03-20-2003, 08:31 PM
TiAG 330i

thx, i will have body shop do color matching.

Quote:
I don't know what color tinting is, but color matching is absolutely necessary. My advice to you is run as far away from this shop as possible. Ti Silver is a particularly DIFFICULT color to match, I've seen some disasterous works on TI Silver. If they tell you color matching is not necessary, then they don't know what they're doing. When not matched right Ti. Silver look particularly bad because it's light. Darker colors tend to hide some of the inadequacies of a bodyshop, lighter colors will bring it right out.

Look up online "Marco's Collision and Body" in San Gabriel or Pasadena. They're one of the most knowledgeable shops in my area and talk to someone there to download some pointers...Although I don't know how willing they are to help you if they know they're not getting business from you.

Just to give you a little more advice, my topaz blue is significantly lighter than VinceTopazBlau's topaz blue...Although the paint code and mixing formula should be identical, when parked side to side our two cars almost look like two different colors. Now, do you want to trust a shop that says you don't need to match colors, when BMW's own plant can't get the same color right on two mass produced vehicles?

Also, do a little search for "STUKA" and "PAINT" here...There's a specific computer program and process that bodyshop uses to match paint. Make sure your shop uses that.