Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series

3 Series / 4 Series
The 3 Series / 4 Series Forum. If you would like to see all new posts in all the forums, click here.

Old 03-20-2003, 07:14 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1989 325is, 1995 m3
Unhappy Help! Key Memory & seats

My 330ci was delivered last Sat. and had the alarm installed yesterday at the dealer. Everything seems to work according to the key memory worksheet I gave them EXCEPT for the seat memory. I did a search on all the boards, but there wasn't really a concrete answer. The consensus does seem that it's not connected to the seat memory presets, but is just the last seat position. I set the presets just to cover all the variations I could think of though. I spent last night and this morning locking and unlocking using both keys, adjusting the driver seat and mirrors in between each, but the seat never moves when I unlock. Even tried unlocking at the door instead of using the remote. Funny thing is, the climate control DOES remember the temp I had each key set at when I locked.

At this point I'm pretty sure the dealer botched it. Could someone that has this verify how it works? Here's how I understand it and tested it.

1. Unlock car from remote using key A (one click) This should be where the car knows which key is in use.
2. Start engine or turn key to halfway position (I tried both)
3. Move the seat into position
4. Take key out and lock car with remote. This should be where the car "memorizes" the current seat position.
5. repeat 1-4 with key B, making sure the seat is in a different position than when I got in.
6. Unlock car again with key A remote(one click), driver seat and both outside mirrors should move into last used position for this key.

However, seat and mirrors never move for me, only the temperature setting is remembered.

I have the sport package with seat memory, but not the premium package. Can someone verify that this should work before I yell at the dealer for mucking it up?

Thanks for any help, at this point I'm just wearing out my seats trying to get it to work.

Last edited by binaryfarms; 03-20-2003 at 08:24 PM.
Advertisement
Old 03-20-2003, 08:27 PM
I know a thing or two...

Mein Auto: '11 BMW 335xi
The seat memory function comes disabled as the default, you dealer has to activate it. Sounds like they forgot to do it.

Each time you lock the car, it stores the setting with regards to that key. If you change the seat setting and put a different setting on each key, you should be able to make the seat move from position for key 1 to key 2 by just pushing the unlock button on one key and then the other and repeating this.

Also, there are 3 options for this feature: off, active when unlocking car, and active when opening door. If this is the setting they set it on, you would need to open the door after you unlock the car to get the seat to move.

Former: 2013 335i xDrive Sedan -- 2011 335i xDrive Coupe -- 2009 MCS JCW -- 2006 MZ4 -- 2002 325i -- 1997 318ti -- 1991 318i
Old 03-20-2003, 08:46 PM

So it sounds like from the steps I'm doing the seat should be moving into the last position right? Just trying to make sure I'm doing it right.

I specifically took it in to have them install the alarm and set the key memory, it even has "set key memory" on the work order, and I gave them the worksheet that had "when unlocking" checked for key seat memory. Guess they missed it somehow, they haven't been exactly stellar so far, so not suprising.

I'm opening the door each time I check it as well, so I'm pretty sure it's not that it's just on that setting.

So it is possible that they set the key memory for setting the thermostat but not the seat? For some reason I thought that they were set at the same time and maybe I needed the premium package besides just seat memory in order for it to work.
Old 03-20-2003, 09:04 PM
I know a thing or two...

Mein Auto: '11 BMW 335xi
Quote:
Originally posted by binaryfarms
So it sounds like from the steps I'm doing the seat should be moving into the last position right? Just trying to make sure I'm doing it right.

I specifically took it in to have them install the alarm and set the key memory, it even has "set key memory" on the work order, and I gave them the worksheet that had "when unlocking" checked for key seat memory. Guess they missed it somehow, they haven't been exactly stellar so far, so not suprising.

I'm opening the door each time I check it as well, so I'm pretty sure it's not that it's just on that setting.

So it is possible that they set the key memory for setting the thermostat but not the seat? For some reason I thought that they were set at the same time and maybe I needed the premium package besides just seat memory in order for it to work.
The temperature feature is seperate and comes active from the factory. The seat feature comes deactivated from the factory for legal reasons (for example: if you had something or someone in the way of the seat, the seat won't automatically move unless you knowingly have the dealer enable that feature, so if something is damaged or someone is injured, it is your fault since you were responsible)

The key will remember the last setting you used with that key when you locked the car.

For example,

move the seat all the way back, then lock it with key 1.

move the seat all the way forward, then lock it with key 2.

press unlock on key 1, and it will move back.

then press unlock on key 2, and it will move forward.

If it doesn't do this, then it isn't enabled. Also, try it by opening the door after unlocking to be sure they didn't set it to that option.

Former: 2013 335i xDrive Sedan -- 2011 335i xDrive Coupe -- 2009 MCS JCW -- 2006 MZ4 -- 2002 325i -- 1997 318ti -- 1991 318i
Old 03-21-2003, 12:40 AM

Yep, those are exactly the steps I tried, definately not working. Calling the dealer tomorrow, thanks for the help.
Old 03-21-2003, 09:25 AM

Mein Auto: '02 330cic
Note that the car does not remember the setting when you lock it. It stores settings whenever they are changed and associates them with the last key used to unlock the car. The difference is subtle, but significant. See this thread for details:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...threadid=13186
Old 03-21-2003, 11:13 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 325ci
Re: Help! Key Memory & seats

Quote:

1. Unlock car from remote using key A (one click) This should be where the car knows which key is in use.
2. Start engine or turn key to halfway position (I tried both)
3. Move the seat into position
3a. Press the M button to store it into the seat.
Quote:
4. Take key out and lock car with remote. This should be where the car "memorizes" the current seat position.
5. repeat 1-4 with key B, making sure the seat is in a different position than when I got in.
6. Unlock car again with key A remote(one click), driver seat and both outside mirrors should move into last used position for this key.
Old 03-22-2003, 04:24 AM

Mein Auto: 330CI/SVT Focus/WRX
The key will remember the last setting you used with that key when you locked the car.

For example,

move the seat all the way back, then lock it with key 1.

move the seat all the way forward, then lock it with key 2.

press unlock on key 1, and it will move back.

then press unlock on key 2, and it will move forward.

If it doesn't do this, then it isn't enabled. Also, try it by opening the door after unlocking to be sure they didn't set it to that option. [/B][/QUOTE]

This is exactly what my car does. I asked for it to be activated but forgot to test it. My husband and I race to the car and with both keys his and hers fight moving the seats with the remote who is going to drive on the current trip. It flips me out everytime go to the car and it remembers what I like.

Natasha
Old 03-22-2003, 11:46 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 OB 330i
You are not going to like this response, but thought I would post it. When I picked up my car, I was assured that everything was set, but I was also told that the seat memory feature using the key doesn't always work. The problem is with one of the chips. The dealer can program the function to work and it will not matter. My dealer told me that BMW is aware of this problem, but that it is low priority. Doesn't happen much, especially on the 3s, but this could be your problem. Luckily, I did not encounter this problem and I am very grateful, but my auto-lock feature does not work, but I am not as worried about that.

Your dealer may try to re-program it to see if it'll take, but if it doesn't, then you are SOL. I don't know if anyone has ever tried to get BMW to repair this under the warranty. Good luck.
Old 03-23-2003, 10:57 AM

seat memory - fixed

Took the car to dealer, and the seat memory works now, looks like they just forgot to program it.

BTW - service advisor confirmed that the key memory has nothing to do with the seat memory. When you lock the car it stores the current seat position with the key that locked it - regardless if this is stored in the seat memory or not.

Thanks for all the help verifying that it wasn't working correctly.
Old 03-23-2003, 12:44 PM
Banned

Mein Auto: 5/01 production 330Cic
Re: seat memory - fixed

Quote:
Took the car to dealer, and the seat memory works now, looks like they just forgot to program it.

BTW - service advisor confirmed that the key memory has nothing to do with the seat memory. When you lock the car it stores the current seat position with the key that locked it - regardless if this is stored in the seat memory or not.
Seat memory is a function of the seat control module, which is mounted underneath the passenger seat and sits on the K-bus (from memory, could be a different bus). It handles all the function for controlling the seats and storing seat and mirror positions. It communicates with the GMV, which handles the communication with and processing of remote key commands.

The seat module actually can store up to 7 seperate position sets of seat and mirror settings. The 3 programmable into the buttons on the side of the seat, and settings associated with up to 4 keys. As you note above, the settings associated with keys have nothing to do with the three memory locations that can be stored into the buttons on the seat. In fact, if there is only one driver, the extra key can be used as a 4th storage location like the buttons on the side of the seat. I know of at least one person that does this, and just keeps the extra key in the armrest storage.

Can't imagine what use one person would have for 4 different sets of seat/mirror settings -- and my friend couldn't tell me either
Old 03-23-2003, 01:32 PM

Mein Auto: '02 330cic
>When you lock the car it stores the current seat position with the key that locked it - regardless if this is stored in the seat memory or not.

This must be new, my 2002 330cic does not work this way. In my car, the seat position is associated with the key that last unlocked the car. Saving on lock is much better.