Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 Roadster, Z3 coupe, Z3 M Roadster and Z3 M Coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 09-04-2016, 04:13 PM

Mein Auto: Z3
Panel lights for auto gear selector

My 1997 2.8 auto has no lights to indicate auto gear selector position at night. Rarely driven at night - and haven't previously noticed. Is selector supposed to have lights? Easy fix?

Cheers
Chris
Advertisement
Old 09-04-2016, 07:29 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1997 Z3 1.9L DASC Auto
The selector has a single bulb that slides along with the gear selector to indicate the selected gear at night (with lights on). The "A" and "M" also have lights. Since "A" is always selected it typically burns out first. Level of difficulty in changing the bulbs depends on your soldering skills, ability to do tedious work and familiarity with LED installs if you want to go that route.
Old 09-07-2016, 10:21 AM

Mein Auto: 2000 Z3 2.8
My Z3 was that way when I purchased it, and the gear indicator was becoming unglued. Plus the previous owner had melted the plastic trim that moves when you select gears with a cigarette.

I ended up ordering a new one, it has everything you need, lights and all. Put shifter in neutral and squeeze trigger and pull up hard, it pops off.

Pop out the old unit, disconnect the plugs and before you place in the new completely, get it close and then move the shifter with your lights on. The light may not be perfectly aligned with the gear indicator, mine was off to where only half the light would show. There is a little adjustment knob on the back side that lets you move the light up or down to get it aligned where you want it.

part number is 51168397821 for a 2000 z3, might be same for yours
Old 09-24-2016, 04:01 PM

Mein Auto: Z3
Belated thanks Monolith and Beanerkc
Been travelling - must get out and have look at it - and then decide what to do.
Cheers
Chris

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
Today's Posts Search