Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 Roadster, Z3 coupe, Z3 M Roadster and Z3 M Coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 09-16-2016, 08:46 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 Z-3
My pride 2001 Z3 - Need help with a few things

Have spent hours trying to get my photos into my introduction without success. Fortunately not the same with my 2002 Z3. She is a sweetheart. Hard to believe living in Michigan. I will include pictures if someone will help me.

I love this car. I have had some fun cars; 1954 MG-TF and a 1959 Corvette. Those were before I had to work for a living. The Z-3 gets more comments and is so fun to drive.

I can't afford the dealer service rates, so I do all the service myself. I have quite a bit of experience and love to tinker. Also, it may take me a little longer, but in the end I know it is done right. Rather than replacing bad parts, I love to fix them when possible. Also saves a lot of $.

Have managed to correct all the problems that have occurred except one. The CHECK ENGINE LIGHT. It was out for about a year which gave a lot of relief until I realized the bulb was burned out. I have a VERY SMALL LEAK IN THE EVAP SYSTEM. I recently saw a picture of the new gas cap that has a "BLUE" plastic part inside the cap. I bought a new cap a few years ago, but the plastic part is green. Was there something defective with the old "new cap" with the green part?

If someone comes to my assistance, I will send pictures next time.

John Weh
Michigan
Advertisement
Old 09-16-2016, 11:38 AM
Bimmerfest.com Founder

Mein Auto: Ti Silver 03 M3
Welcome to Bimmerfest John! I've moved your question to our Z3 forum, you'll get more help in here.

Tim
Old 09-16-2016, 01:16 PM
"Driving Oustide the Box"

Mein Auto: 2001 Z3 2.5i Roadster
Loading photos...

Hi John! Congrats!!

I, too, recently purchased a Z3 (2001 2.5i Alpine white over tan with only 88k miles).

This one just feels classic; no frills on the inside mine is fully stock - I will be keeping the cassette player radio as I want to keep her as original as possible. Only things I have done as far as DIY is I replace the door handle pulls/surrounds, installed a new windshield washer pump and grommet, and picked up a bluetooth FM transmitter that fits perfectly in the auxiliary port.

Here is how you load photos:

1. Click on attachments icon (paperclip above by the white smiley face).
2. A pop-up menu will show up with a menu (manage attachments).
3. From this menu, click on "choose file" to upload a file from your computer.
4. A screen will appear from which you will choose your photo to upload (on my iMac click on photos and select the picture that I want to upload). You can move the photos that you want to post to your desktop, making it easier to find for uploading.
5. Then click on "upload" (the upload icon is over to the right)
6. You can then preview your post (the attached thumbnails will appear below your text).

Here, I have posted before and after photos of my door surround/gasket - what a huge difference this makes (I did clean things up better after my last photo, and the cracked gasket straightened out in a few hours).

Hope this helps.

••••••••Before -----------------------AFTER•••••••••
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7794.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	576394   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7810.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	576395  

Old 09-17-2016, 09:21 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 Z-3
Tanks for the photo session.

I appreciate your help. I printed it and will experiment a little later. I am eager to post the pictures of my Z-3. Mine his as original as I can keep it, except for the CD player and the fiberglas and bonds on the front scoop.
Old 09-17-2016, 03:50 PM
BMW CCA 1405

Mein Auto: 1997 BMW Z3 1.9 5MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnweh View Post
... I have a VERY SMALL LEAK IN THE EVAP SYSTEM. I recently saw a picture of the new gas cap that has a "BLUE" plastic part inside the cap. I bought a new cap a few years ago, but the plastic part is green. Was there something defective with the old "new cap" with the green part?...
How do you know there is a evap leak? How do you know it is small? I doubt that the color of the part means anything, however, my original locking gas cap has no visible plastic of any color.
Related thread:
http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...5#post26892505

Last edited by vintage42; 09-17-2016 at 03:52 PM.
Old 09-23-2016, 05:13 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 Z3 3.0
The gas cap on the wife's 2002 3.0 is black plastic. Maybe the evap code means the evap system. Not sure if these have a charcoal canister or not. On ours a lot of vacuum lines were cracked, might start there.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
Today's Posts Search