Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 10-25-2007, 04:51 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 97 BMW AUTO 528I
knocking noise when turning steering wheel to the left ..tierod?

am i correct ?....everytime i turn the steering wheel to the left quickly i can create the knocking sound ...im guessing the tierods?? .what do you guys think ?
Old 10-26-2007, 02:54 AM
Banned

Mein Auto: '03 525i
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPLITSENSETAM View Post
am i correct ?....everytime i turn the steering wheel to the left quickly i can create the knocking sound ...im guessing the tierods?? .what do you guys think ?
I have the same exact problem although i dont know much info to answer this question. I too am curious to see what you guys think of this.
Old 10-26-2007, 03:34 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to BMW_tech
Mein Auto: rickshaw
since we dont have access to "chassis ears" to pinpoint the location,anybody know where we could find dwarves or leprechauns to hang on the front suspension?

on a serious note,you mentioned tie rod end so Im assuming you have a power steering rack and not a steering box (540) that has a centerlink that causes a lot of different noises especially after a long drive.
you described turning the wheel to the left,but is it while the vehicle is stationary? or does it occur when the wheels are rolling as if you were making a left hand turn?
when the wheel is cranked to the left while standing still,the clunk you would hear is the end stop therefore I would say it is NORMAL.If you were to stand outside and have somebody turn it to the right you would find that it makes a clunk also when it reaches the end stop.It just seems more pronounced on left turns because noise travels up the steering column when it hits the left side end stop.I have always felt that everytime I pull into my work stall and when I am backing out of it so I basically got used to it.
Old 11-08-2007, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_tech View Post
since we dont have access to "chassis ears" to pinpoint the location,anybody know where we could find dwarves or leprechauns to hang on the front suspension?

on a serious note,you mentioned tie rod end so Im assuming you have a power steering rack and not a steering box (540) that has a centerlink that causes a lot of different noises especially after a long drive.
you described turning the wheel to the left,but is it while the vehicle is stationary? or does it occur when the wheels are rolling as if you were making a left hand turn?
when the wheel is cranked to the left while standing still,the clunk you would hear is the end stop therefore I would say it is NORMAL.If you were to stand outside and have somebody turn it to the right you would find that it makes a clunk also when it reaches the end stop.It just seems more pronounced on left turns because noise travels up the steering column when it hits the left side end stop.I have always felt that everytime I pull into my work stall and when I am backing out of it so I basically got used to it.

Ok ..so i shouldnt worry about it ?
its only when im sitting still with the car in park ..if i turn the wheel fast to the left ..a slight clunk sound ...everything seems tight ( could be tighter tho ) ..

my car has 98k miles ....i was thinking of changing out the outer tie rods
is it worth it ..or u think im wasting my money my friends are telling me to leave it
but i want that new tight steering again !

thanks bmwtech
Old 11-29-2007, 04:38 PM

Mein Auto: M3
I have a 540i making the same noise. Thrust arm bushing and centerlink are new. Is this really a normal noise or should I pay my indy $90 to look at it?
Old 02-27-2008, 03:26 PM

Bump ...
Old 02-27-2008, 04:43 PM

Mein Auto: 1997 BMW 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPLITSENSETAM View Post
Ok ..so i shouldnt worry about it ?
its only when im sitting still with the car in park ..if i turn the wheel fast to the left ..a slight clunk sound ...everything seems tight ( could be tighter tho ) ..

my car has 98k miles ....i was thinking of changing out the outer tie rods
is it worth it ..or u think im wasting my money my friends are telling me to leave it
but i want that new tight steering again !

thanks bmwtech
If it only happens when the car is stationary, I heard its normal. My car does it so does my buddy's M5 which was fairly new at that time when we tested it. Don't just take my word for it though. If it bothers you, you should have it checked.
Old 02-28-2008, 12:38 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 525
sorry to invade on the thread... but.. I get a knocking/clunking sound too.. when i back up out of my drive way at an angle in the morning....or when goin down the spiral like exit @ work in my parking garage. any ideas what this is ?
Old 02-28-2008, 12:58 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 328cic and Mercedes
I just had my car fixed for exactly what you are describing (x13alle). It was the tie rods and (allegedly) the wheel bearings.

check the wear on your tires.
Old 03-08-2008, 10:18 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 525
Quote:
Originally Posted by skywalkerbeth View Post
I just had my car fixed for exactly what you are describing (x13alle). It was the tie rods and (allegedly) the wheel bearings.

check the wear on your tires.
eeek...! it was just my power steering fluid level..ima noob!! but beats doing repairs....
Old 03-08-2008, 10:05 PM
Just press the button

Send a message via AIM to E39M5
Mein Auto: 1998 528i
Low ATF fluid can cause unwated noises.

Also if you get that weird sound at start up it might be due to low ATF.
Old 03-09-2008, 08:48 PM

Mein Auto: e39 528i
its a tie rod, just got mine changed.. now no noise.
Old 07-06-2008, 07:38 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to razzy530
Mein Auto: 2007 530i 6 Speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomibriggs View Post
If it only happens when the car is stationary, I heard its normal. My car does it so does my buddy's M5 which was fairly new at that time when we tested it. Don't just take my word for it though. If it bothers you, you should have it checked.
I get the same exact "clunk" when i turn the wheel to the left, DONT hear it when i turn to the right though!
So is it NORMAL or is it the TIE RODS?
Im betting its the latter

2007 E60 530i - Current
2002 E39 530i - RIP

BMWCCA MEMBER #397411
Old 07-08-2008, 08:28 PM

""""""""""UPDATE"""""""""""

Well, i had my "leak" and "knock" issues confirmed by Bill and the gang @ BIMMERCLINIC.
Long story short, the clicking sound as it turns out is inside the Steering Rack ($$$$ ouch ) and the leak is coming from the Oil Filter Housing ($$) and the Oil Pan Gasket needs replacing too ($$)

Cost? well, dont even get me started on the rack! Let me put it to you all this way----the $tealer wanted $2200.00 I said "Hell Nah" and ran out

2007 E60 530i - Current
2002 E39 530i - RIP

BMWCCA MEMBER #397411
Old 07-09-2008, 07:20 PM

bump

2007 E60 530i - Current
2002 E39 530i - RIP

BMWCCA MEMBER #397411
Old 11-26-2011, 08:26 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 525i
Hi Everyone, I am a first time thread poster on bimmerfest.com and I was wondering if someone could help me pin point my similar problem.

I too, hear that knocking noise whenever I turn my steering wheel to the left or right when I am in a stationary postion or driving very slow, or hitting a small bump. I took my car to a non-certified BMW tech and he felt the problem was with the tie rods. So I replaced with the inner tie rods with new ones (purchased from BMW) and the sterring wheel is still making the noise. I am not sure that I want to spend anymore money trying to fix this noise problem. What happens if I were to leave it the way it is and just deal with the noise? Is this something that NEEDS to get fixed?

This is my second 5 series. I first had the 2005 525i which was not great on the steering.. this 2007 is a lot better and I consider it my baby.. can someone please advise on what I should do.

Thank you in advance!!!!!!
Old 11-26-2011, 08:56 AM
Hofmeister Kink

Mein Auto: 2003 530i/5
Wrong forum.