Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 10-25-2007, 06:15 PM
M status achieved!

Mein Auto: 94 325i, 98 Protege
Rogue WSR

So I bought and installed a weighted selector rod. I got a rogue engineering Octane WSr. very easy install, less than 15 minutes, and the results are amazing! The car shifts incredibly smoother, and easier too. I did run into a snag though. It seems that since my car is a 9/94 production, there are 2 possible selector rod choices for it. Pre 9/94 used a 189 mm selector rod, while post 9/94 uses a 198 mm selector rod. Seems since my car is a bastard production date, I could have either. Well, the WSR I bought is a 198, my car unfortunately came factory with the 189 and it's a 1/2" difference. While it's not huge, it does make shifting a bit odd. Second and fourth are now in the vicinity of where neutral should be, and 1st, 3rd, 5th, and reverse are all "far away". Since the WSR is able to be disassembled, I am taking it into work to modify the length to the proper distance. I'm not cutting off the excess because once altered, It will be a "universal" that can be used for either the pre 9/94 325, post 9/94, AND the M3/328i yes, it will loose a few grams of mass with machining, but it will still be almost a lb heavier than factory.

BTW, I could make these VERY easily at work...
Old 11-01-2007, 05:07 PM
M status achieved!

Wow... is the forum that dead? Anyway, i must add that i bought the ZHP shift knob to go along with the weighted selector rod. Again, a marked improvement in shift smoothness. Anyone who has a short shifter should buy this knob. It's 5.4 oz. and about 3/4" shorted then the factory knob. The reduction in height made the shifter even shorter than the 40% I already have, and the added 4 oz. or so really made a difference. The weight is most noticeable on the down stroke, or after the peak of the shift. First to second shifts are especially pleasing now.
Old 11-01-2007, 06:26 PM
I Am The Machine

Mein Auto: Dreier, Fünfer & Siebener
Hrm, interesting. Will need to check this out...

BTW, I have a short shift kit (can't live without it), but I don't know if it has the WSR or not. Mine is pre-9/94, would you be able to tell me the mass of your factory one, and where you got Rogue one from?

Mine shifts incredibly smooth now, so no telling if I'll buy it or not, but I'd like to check it out.
// 1999 Chevy Tahoe //

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimKlim View Post
You're a derbanana
Old 11-02-2007, 05:55 AM
M status achieved!

Phantom, The factory selector rod is pretty light as it's hollow. The Rogue WSR is almost a full LB heavier. Plenty of info can be found on the Rogue engineering website regarding it. They run around $95 and since you have a pre 9/94 production you will also need to purchase and install the updated selector rod joint on the tranny. (another $34 in parts from Pelican) It was a marked improvement in shifting and it also removed a bit of teh slop in the shifter. I still have yet to install the new selector joint, but I'm very pleased with the results thus far.

Now, the ZHP shift knob I bought through the group buy section of Bimmerforums for $54 shipped. They typically run upwards of $100 so I jumped in while the getting was good. Not only is the shift knob shorter by 3/4" to further reduce your throw, but it is also about 2 1/2 times heavier than the factory gooseneck style shift knob. This will do much the same thing as the WSR does but since it is above the pivot point, will help mostly with the speed at which you shift. This shift knob is touted aas the "world best shift knob" for ANY BMW and let me just say that I have to agree!
Old 11-02-2007, 01:44 PM
I Am The Machine

Mein Auto: Dreier, Fünfer & Siebener
Hrm, well, the WSR won't be happening any time soon. Don't really have anything extra for non-essential parts. May be getting a job soon so that will help

If this is the ZHP shifter you're talking about, I already have it. Thanks P.O.!

Unfortunately, I have no clue whether I have the WSR. I may check it out this Sunday if I've got some time @ the tech meet.
// 1999 Chevy Tahoe //

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimKlim View Post
You're a derbanana