Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 Roadster, Z3 coupe, Z3 M Roadster and Z3 M Coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 03-23-2003, 05:16 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 E92 M3 - MDCT
Question Question for those with Xenon kit.

As I posted earlier, we installed the Xenon's from LeatherZ today. I tried them out tonight on a short drive and here are some thoughts...

The light is much whiter and brighter. There is not necessarily much more of it, but what you see is certainly sharper and clearer. The only kind of odd thing I see is two light pattern bright spots that kind of look like the profile of a chair (like a recaro seat profile) facing to the right.

It's possible that the beams need a little adjusting but I'm going to live with them for a bit before I mess with them. This is NOT a beam that you would want in your eyes if you were driving toward them.

Have any of you adjusted your beams after installation?

Bob ///Margolis

2009 E92 M3 / Alpine White / Black Leather / Carbon Leather / M-DCT / 19's / Technology / Premium / Cold Weather / iPod / Smartphone / PDC / Sirius XM
Advertisement
Old 03-23-2003, 05:37 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2008 335i
I haven't noticed that on mine. I don't think the lights are adjustable anyway, except the normal aiming adjustments.
Old 03-23-2003, 06:30 PM

Mein Auto: Lots of different stuff
Ah!! It sounds like mine look like yours. I had to adjust my lights upward a lot to get them satisfactory to me. I always related my beam patterns to "fat" checkmarks pointed closely toward the ground. I even had to adjust my driver's side light horizontally to get it pointing correctly. I have been tweaking them regularly for quite a while.

At night, the right side of the light pattern that's supposed to shine upward shines pretty high up on the road signs, car's side view mirrors, etc. The car to the right of me always seems to be casting a shadow in the light beam when the lights are shining on them and signs. I'm not getting flashed at from cars coming toward me, so I guess the right side cars will have to live with it. That's my experience.

Good luck with yours.
Dwayne
Old 03-23-2003, 08:23 PM
19,585 Miles

Mein Auto: Z4 M Coupe 6LL93033
Quote:
Originally posted by dwaynemosley
Ah!! It sounds like mine look like yours. I had to adjust my lights upward a lot to get them satisfactory to me. I always related my beam patterns to "fat" checkmarks pointed closely toward the ground. I even had to adjust my driver's side light horizontally to get it pointing correctly. I have been tweaking them regularly for quite a while.

At night, the right side of the light pattern that's supposed to shine upward shines pretty high up on the road signs, car's side view mirrors, etc. The car to the right of me always seems to be casting a shadow in the light beam when the lights are shining on them and signs. I'm not getting flashed at from cars coming toward me, so I guess the right side cars will have to live with it. That's my experience.

Good luck with yours.
Dwayne
You will have to check mine out at HC to see if you notice the same on mine driving down the road.
I had to adjust mine down.
Bob,
Check yours against Al's and we will go from there.
Old 03-25-2003, 09:55 AM
M coupe

Mein Auto: 2001 M Coupe
HID's in our car will always not be perfect but with a little adjustment (aiming higher) I am very happy with mine...plus the kit is not blinding perhaps in part due to the height of our cars lights?

For more light consider the 4,100K as the 5,000K robs quite a few lumens due to the blue coated Philips bulb. Im switching mine to the 4,100K in a few days.

A set of the XT Philips 4,100K bulbs are in the $180 range.
Old 03-25-2003, 11:10 AM
A Clean Windshield

Mein Auto: 2000 Imola M Coupe
Light Increase

If you need bright lights for fast night driving the only way to go is bolting on a set of driving lights like PIAA. They will work at night.

I have the HID's from leather Z and like them. I also have a set of PIAA driving lights/Fogs.

Dinan suspension, M rotors /Axxis pads
Eurosport Cam Kit 1, touch lane change
Zaino polish, Beach Sand
Garys mirror adapter, S54 Oil Cooler
seat tilt coupling nuts, spare tire

"life's to short to drink cheap beer"