Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series / 2 Series > E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)

E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)
BMWs throw back to the iconic 2002, with a renewed form and function. The smallest car in BMW's line up but still packs a punch. Available in coupe or convertible, powered by either an inline 6 in the 128 or the twin turbo rocket sled 135.

Old 10-28-2007, 02:53 PM
Waiting For The 1

Mein Auto: 07 Civic Si. Future=135i
E46 M3 vs. 135i

I was thinking when the new M3 comes out i would take advantage of the price drop in say an 05 or 06 E46.

But then i saw the 135i that is to be released next year.
I realized I also would like to have a 135i (however my budget wont allow for both)

I need to make a choice.

Im also going to post this in the M forums just so i get an un-bias pool of info.

So anything that you guys feel I need to know is what im here for.

Thanks
Ads by Google
Old 10-28-2007, 03:42 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: e90
If you get a E46 M3, I would suggest a warranty. They do not have the best track record.

I would like to see a comparison test between the 135i and E46 M3, just for the hell of it.
Old 10-29-2007, 02:26 PM

Mein Auto: 04 WRX -> 08 135i
performance wise, i think the 135i will walk all over the e46 m3. I'm not saying the m3 wont perform. But at least in straight lines, there wont be anything to talk about. With stiffer suspension and an lsd, the 1 will stay with the m3 on the track. I think it comes down to if you want to get the car for driving or for status. And i'd definitely worry about not having a warranty on the e46 m3.
Old 10-29-2007, 03:38 PM
Banned

Mein Auto: 07 M Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by ichiban View Post
performance wise, i think the 135i will walk all over the e46 m3. I'm not saying the m3 wont perform. But at least in straight lines, there wont be anything to talk about. With stiffer suspension and an lsd, the 1 will stay with the m3 on the track. I think it comes down to if you want to get the car for driving or for status. And i'd definitely worry about not having a warranty on the e46 m3.
Where in the wide wide wide world of sports did you pull that out from? "I think the 135i will walk all over the e46 m3?" You base this on what, exactly? "I think it comes down to if you want to get the car for driving or for status." Again, where does this comment come from? Next time, base your comments on facts, not on hype you read on these boards.
Old 10-29-2007, 05:42 PM
Waiting For The 1

Mein Auto: 07 Civic Si. Future=135i
i think what ichiban is trying to say is that perhaps with modification the 135 will have more potential than the M3. a simple juice box stage 1 should make the 135 faster.
and as far as status goes, i think he means that a M owner is held in higher esteem than a regular BMW owner.
Old 10-29-2007, 09:17 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 ZHP Convertible
As an S54 owner in my Z4M Coupe I wouldnt just hand the crwon to the 135- but I will say that it will be quiter and smoother getting to speed than the E46 M3 would and if you like "raw" sports cars there is no substitute for the older M3. The Z4MC is even smoother than the E46 M3 but hit 6-7k on the tack and that inline 6 SCREAMS and the jets underneath your ass ignite- its really, really fun- dont know if the flat tourque curve of the 1er (or the new E90/92) behave that way. It really comes down to what you want out of a car. And one thing PROBABLY for sure- the E46 M3 (especially in White) looks better than jsust about ANY new BMW design- the 1 series included. I am not a fan of the stock M3 wheels but put the E46 M with CSL "tuning fork" wheels and you have one AWESOME ride

Agree withthose about the warranty but they can also be bought from BMWFS if you want POM.
Old 10-29-2007, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves to speed View Post
i think what ichiban is trying to say is that perhaps with modification the 135 will have more potential than the M3. a simple juice box stage 1 should make the 135 faster.
and as far as status goes, i think he means that a M owner is held in higher esteem than a regular BMW owner.
Yes on the status- My Z4MC just has the M on it with no Z4 anywhere and I get a lot of thumbs up and "you got an "M" how cool is that" comments at the local 7-11's.

But in the end who gives a crap about status? The 135 will lack it - no doubt, but I think it is shaping up to be one hell of a perfect tool- I mean car.
Old 10-30-2007, 06:02 PM

Mein Auto: Z4M Coupe, X5 3.0, 986S
Quote:
Originally Posted by ichiban View Post
Walk all over the M3????
How many shots have you been drinking??
Besides being newer, I don't see any reason to take the 135 over an M3, even though it is a very very nice car.
Old 10-30-2007, 06:24 PM
Protect your (lug) nuts

Mein Auto: '97 BMW 328i
I say it all depends on what you want. You can compare apples to oranges all day.. but for your ultimate decision you need to drive both. Obviously, this isn't possible just yet.. I foresee this subject will be brought up not only here, but on many other forums. I believe with time, and the information available, you will make you own "right decision."

-- Henry David Thoreau
Old 10-30-2007, 08:36 PM
BMW Fan

Mein Auto: '02 Z3 M Coupe
Vornado...do share more pics of your avatar lady
Old 10-30-2007, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCC View Post
Vornado...do share more pics of your avatar lady
+1