Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 Roadster, Z3 coupe, Z3 M Roadster and Z3 M Coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 03-24-2003, 07:05 AM

Mein Auto: Lots of different stuff
Advanced M Driving School

For anyone who may be interested, I just finished the inaugural Advanced M School presented by the BMW Performance Center. The event was held at Lowe's Motor Speedway in Charlotte, NC and was more educational than I ever imagined. After having completed my first M School at the Performance Center and Michelin's Tire Testing Facilities, I wondered how it could get much better. Being at the racetrack really makes it happen. And, let's not forget the fun factor. It was incredible. The level of concentration required to do this stuff correctly is hard to describe. Seeing the pictures may help. It was all about car control, car control, and car control.

We spent 2.5 days in Charlotte. We drove the Karting track as an autocross course in E46 M3's, M5's on skidpads with multiple configurations, and the M3's on the full road race course including the Oval. Let me tell you, 140 mph on the backstretch dropping downhill into the apex of turns 3 and 4 is quite the experience. Especially by yourself in a street car. 140 mph comes up just as the M3 hits the rev limiter in 4th. Man, do those S54 engines pull.

The skid pads were very educational. The last of 4 exercises in M5's on the skid pads was setup in a Swedish Guitar (hour glass) configuration. You had to swing the M5 sideways around the whole track making it slide first one way and then the other without spinning out or driving straight. Working the wheel on this one was as strenuous as any upper body workout.

I'm including a link to pictures one of my fellow students took to share with all of us. They are great pictures and will hopefully provide you all with an idea of what it was like. If you have never done a serious driving school, there is nothing like it. The Performance Center puts on an excellent one using cars just like we drive everyday. What an experience.

Dwayne

Click here for the pictures.
http://homepage.mac.com/z8mania/PhotoAlbum30.html
Advertisement
Old 03-24-2003, 07:57 PM
Investigative Tinkerer

Mein Auto: ///Motorized Vehicles
Nice!

Maybe someday...

Randy Forbes
1957 Austin-Healey 100/6 Wine Red
1961 McCulloch R1 go-kart Screaming Yellow
1995///M3 Coupe Dakar Yellow Eurosport Twinscrew S/C
1999///M Rdstr Cosmos Black Eurosport Twinscrew S/C
1999///M Coupe Estoril Blue Eurosport Twinscrew S/C
2001///M Rdstr Steel Gray
2011 X5 35i Sport Deep Sea Blue/Cinnamon
Old 03-25-2003, 10:11 AM
I like cookies.

Mein Auto: 328Ci
Wow, this is the class that I would really want to take! I was somewhat underwhelmed by the M5 driving experience, but this course looks fantastic.

How much track time? Cost?
Old 03-25-2003, 10:41 AM
both feet in

Send a message via AIM to SpaceMonkey
Mein Auto: '02 ZJC
Quote:
Originally posted by nate328Ci
Wow, this is the class that I would really want to take! I was somewhat underwhelmed by the M5 driving experience, but this course looks fantastic.

Looks like it's 3650.00, same as the orginal M school ...

M School
This popular, high-performance school now features the M5s and M3s. The M3s fleet is mixed with both the SMG and manual transmissions. The “M” School is limited to 15 participants. Tuition is $3,650 per person and includes airport transfers, all catered meals, helmet, helmet bag, coat, shirt, and one day on the Performance Center course and one day at the Michelin Test Track.

Advanced M School
Begins where the M School, Z8 and M5 Driving Experiences end. This high-performance two-and-a-half day school features the Performance Center M5s and M3s on the nation’s leading racetracks. The inaugural program takes place at Lowe’s Motor Speedway in Charlotte, North Carolina, using the infield and NASCAR course. The $3,650 tuition includes three nights hotel, all catered meals, helmet, helmet bag, shirt, coat and the most high-performance driving possible in street-legal vehicles.
Old 03-25-2003, 03:23 PM

Mein Auto: Lots of different stuff
Quote:
Originally posted by nate328Ci

The cost has been explained above. The track time is two solid days long. Each student is assigned a car number. During each driving event, you keep the car with that number for the duration of that particular event. You are assigned a radio for communications with the instructors. They provide ear buds for in-helmet use. They provide plenty of water, snacks, food, etc. You cycle through all of the driving events each half day. So you get 4 cycles through the two days of events. Your involvement and the difficulty level increases as the day goes on. There are also three events where you're timed for a little competitive spirit.

In fact, you almost never get a break. Really! It may sound hard to believe, but it's a fact. All in all, it was great.

Dwayne