BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

4.4 or 4.6is???

6K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  dnhmobile 
#1 ·
Okay, I am new here but not new to Bmw (owned 2 5series and an M3). I am currently looking at buying an x5 (2002,2003, narrowed down from 5 suvs, OK.... wife likes it!) Now I am looking at treating this car like any other BMW and I want to DRIVE IT like it is a BMW. My dilema begins at buying a 4.6is or a 4.4i (and supercharge it). I have looked around here alot before I decided to post but didn't get the answer I was looking for. I have looked at alot of 4.6is and love it but I can save substantially by buying a 4.4i but what is the cost for supercharging? I looked at dinan and they want 17K??? I looked at VF-Engineering and it says bolt on for a 540i (which is essentially the same motor) not sure if there is a big enough difference to change the product price of 6k for x5? Why so much of a difference between superchargers? is it just because it is Dinan? Does the VF perform as well? I know that it says about 415 hp on 540i (VF-Engineering). I figure if the VF-Engineering is priced correct than I could buy the 4.4i, supercharge it, have about 400hp and pay the same as I would for a 4.6is @ 340hp. I appreciate any help I can get as this forum has the most knowledgeable people !

#2 ·
Want a 500hp X5? You should buy mine.

:thumbup:

First of all, the difference in HP between the 4.4 and 4.6 is quite substantial: 290 to 340
I was wondering also why such a big price difference, but after I drove both I saw why:)

Going back to 500HP X5; I have mine on E-bay right now. It's a 4.6is with all the Dinan upgrades(missing the supercharger).
If you get the supercharger for it, you should have very close to 500hp if not more.

See it here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...STRK:MESE:IT&viewitem=&item=320174811782&rd=1

#3 · (Edited)
I understand the difference of HP between the 4.6is and 4.4i that is why I am asking the question about the VF engineering supercharger as i am interested in supercharging the 4.4 not the 4.6. I can get a 4.4 from 22k to 25k and if the cost of supercharging it would be about 6k than I would go that direction to have 400hp vs 340 of the 4.6is for roughly the same price. I am mainly interested in finding out if it is true that is the cost and if anyone else has a supercharged 4.4i. Thanks for your help though. I love your car!

#4 ·
I recently bought 2002 bmw x5 4.6is. i payed 23,500. fully loaded. every option u can think of. except entertainment package. mileage is 62000. not a scratch. mint interior. no problems. clean carfax. I was actually looking for a 4.4 when i found it for that price. so u can actually find it cheaper. u just have to look. why not supercharge the 4.6. i've driven both and theres definately a difference.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.