Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 03-06-2009, 02:53 PM

Mein Auto: 745i
Transmission overheating 2002 745i

Hey guys My names Matt from Australia, I have definately had my fair share of problems with my 2002 745i but most have been fixed under warranty, However as you may well know the warranty has long expired. The transmission has been replace 15,000 kms ago the odometer now shows 125,000 kms. Comming home tonight i stoped in a fast food driveway and i got an error saying "tansm overheating stop carefully" Anyone ever come across this one before? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Ads by Google
Old 03-06-2009, 04:46 PM

trans

Got into the car this morning and car drove fine. This car completely baffles me!
Old 03-07-2009, 08:06 AM
asc-abs sensors rock!!!!

Send a message via Yahoo to starioncorrado
Mein Auto: 2002 745i
You might have low oil level on the tranny causing exess heating.if you continue to drive it with low oil you might say bye bye to the tranny and very soon.Just get it checked bro before you break something.
Old 03-07-2009, 09:21 AM
BeanersBimmer745i

it might also be that you have too much tranny fluid and when the transmission reaches operating temperatures, the fluid expands and it causes it to over heat. check the transmission dipstick while the car is in neutral and if the car is cold, the level should be marking on the cold setting, if the car is warm or hot, the oil level should be at its hot setting, if it higher than that, then that is the problem. it could also be a bad temperature sensor for the transmission but just take it into the dealer if you find that the fluid level is fine.
Old 03-07-2009, 10:38 AM
asc-abs sensors rock!!!!

Send a message via Yahoo to starioncorrado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Bimmerman View Post
it might also be that you have too much tranny fluid and when the transmission reaches operating temperatures, the fluid expands and it causes it to over heat. check the transmission dipstick while the car is in neutral and if the car is cold, the level should be marking on the cold setting, if the car is warm or hot, the oil level should be at its hot setting, if it higher than that, then that is the problem. it could also be a bad temperature sensor for the transmission but just take it into the dealer if you find that the fluid level is fine.
Dude no ofense but these cars have no tranny dip stick!! Be smart and tak eit to the dealer or a indy shop where they fix bmw's.
Old 03-07-2009, 09:31 PM

trans

thanks for the replys guys. Car is booked into my local dealer this Tuesday. I will let you know what happens.
Old 03-07-2009, 10:51 PM
President

Mein Auto: BMW
your blinker fluid could be low...

'03 745i - modded - GONE -
Old 09-16-2010, 06:09 PM

Mein Auto: 745li
Same thing just happened to mine!
I have the same car as you with around the same miles....Seems like everything under the hood is new! I just had a full transmission service a few months ago and the cooling system was replaced. Today, I was driving in traffic and it said "Transmission Overheating stop carefully" just like yours!

Im just wondering what they told you when you took yours in.
Old 09-16-2010, 07:11 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 735i
Quote:
Originally Posted by starioncorrado View Post
Dude no ofense but these cars have no tranny dip stick!! Be smart and tak eit to the dealer or a indy shop where they fix bmw's.
hmm i thought there was a dip stick for the tranny fuild ? ..

My seven has one ?

http://www.roadfly.com/new-cars/wp-c...OHC-engine.JPG

here a pick of the v12 .. see the red dip at the far right ..-- could be wrong. -

edit-Look like the engine oil dip stick -- was wrong.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...49&hg=11&fg=05

Last edited by klob25; 09-16-2010 at 07:23 PM.
Old 09-16-2010, 08:59 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 BMW 745li
Good luck with it Let us kno wat happen
Old 09-16-2010, 11:00 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 750 Li
Just a thought, but if BMW replaced the tranny, its under warranty for 3 years and I would get it checked out.
Old 07-26-2014, 10:09 AM

Mein Auto:
Hi all Iv noticed lots of problems explained but no explanation to what resolved it,
Basically I have a 2002,745i 116k miles fsh Iv done lots to keep it working fine meaning vally pipe 6k job for 300 via an American
Based company who manufactures this expanding pop worked great saved me 7k
Iv also done my Injector coils as 3 was failing after kick down, problem sorted,
My main problem now is the dreaded "Transmission overheat please locate BMW of problems persist" I looked at this forum under transmision over heat & it said change oil filter & oil I did that car was fine after it was changing gears hard didn't quite feel like the ultimate driving machine' I then read on this forum if over filled or under filled can cause problems,
The problem is "in heavy traffic cars rpm's go very high does not go over 3rd gear, & after more traffic (transmission over heat) shows up park up 20mins later car is fine, Iv gone bsck to a BMW indy he che her if it was over filled yes 1.5L over emptied, westher changes goten hotter traffic boom same hard shifting won't pass 3rd gear, a bit more traffic error msg trans over heat, I then had a look here on forum it said battery's can be a prob as mine was giving an error saying low battery, went to Bmw direct got an original Agm battery,240 car feels much better also did the adaption 45sec hold down & yes much better, then in traffic same thing HIGH RPMs won't come out of 3rd, came back to this forum & google read the Sleeve & machatronics bridge adaptor may have a crack, & cause this problem, so ordered it 3 days ago & just had it installed by an indy BMW with a diagnostics no errors on gear box showing, today is. 25th July it's hot & same thing high rpm in traffic 30mins, only sufferance is as I started moving it went out of failsafe & back to normal, Iv read every single thread there's lots explaining the same thing but it seems nobody I mean nobody has come up & said yes Iv fixed it doing this or that? I am very close to getting a sledge hammer to it wanted to take the family to France but this week end but not in this state I won't, in the morning the car drives as if it came out of BMW park lane lovely but after 45mins with 27/28 weather it go's balls up, if anyone has any ideas or answers please please please tell me, as I said no error msg on diagnostic oil level is spot on just as it starts to come out it stops fresh new oil new pan new battery new sleeve & adaptor, this is my only car & Iv taken well care of it with servicing breaks discs etc please if anyone knows of this as lots do but Iv not seen anyone come back & say problem found & fixed, Iv also read there's ppl who had a recon gear box but still has the same problem,
Awaiting some kind of feed back
Thank you.....