Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series & 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion of BMW's 4th generation E65/E66 7 Series flagship. The E65 generated much controversy, due to its radical styling and iDrive user difficulties. Nonetheless, the E65 broke records to become the best-selling 7-series iteration ever, especially after its 2005 facelift.

Old 05-15-2010, 09:12 AM

Mein Auto: 745li
Parking brake light is on?

I don't know what happened yesterday, I turned my car on and the iDrive is stating parking brake malfunction? I took it to my tech that usually does the up keep on my car. He sd that the parking brake motor is going bad? He sd it in the trunk around the spare tire..... So I asked him how much it will cost? He sd it's a dealer part and cost around 1000.... I was like ok I can not afford that at this time.....

Now my question is? I did some reading on the Internet and I saw a few post about a dieing battery? Well my tech mention that my battery is only about 60% good???? Can anyone here clerify this? Also my tech told me that the calippers were not engaging so it is ok to drive the car???? I'm not to confident driving my car with that yellow "P" on in my guage cluster.....
I did replace rear calippers with OE ones and parking sensors.

The other thing is when I turn the car on and push the parking brake button the light will dissapear and u can hear the motor working in the rear.... As soon as I put the car in gear the iDrive pops up and reads parking break malfunction...

Can anyone out here help me with this issue? Please email me or even call me haha.... I just want to see I there is another cost efficant way then spending 1000 plus for a little motor.

Mkbvictory79@yahoo.com
602-410-5636
Advertisement
Old 05-15-2010, 09:15 AM

Oh it might help what year and model my car is.... Lol it's a 02 745Li. I've owned it for just over 5 years and I have never ha any issues with the car at all.... Which makes me pretty upset. The car has 85k miles on her and I m rolling on staggered Velleno 22in wheels? If that makes any diffrernce?
Old 05-15-2010, 11:06 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 X6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkbvictory View Post
Oh it might help what year and model my car is.... Lol it's a 02 745Li. I've owned it for just over 5 years and I have never ha any issues with the car at all.... Which makes me pretty upset. The car has 85k miles on her and I m rolling on staggered Velleno 22in wheels? If that makes any diffrernce?

damn i got the same problem, just posted above yours

i got 2002 745
Old 05-15-2010, 11:25 AM
'' Blue Pill Tester ''

Mein Auto: 05 BMW 745Li
Very little I know about this car, but yellow ??? you can still drive it, Red is more of immediate attention. Keep us posted on what you find so other can learn from it. Thanks.

Beautiful car is hard findBeautiful girls are just around the corner.
Old 08-11-2010, 01:29 PM

Mein Auto: 02 745i bmw
Quote:
Originally Posted by dali View Post
damn i got the same problem, just posted above yours

i got 2002 745
Makes three of us with same problem also have 02 745i. I will be looking into it if I find solution I will post only difference is that I recently got my REAR brake pads replaced about 2 weeks ago hoping it was something that wasnt done right and not the MOTOR. It was working fine for two weeks and know I have this annoying light. ANYONE OUT THERE HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS ABOUT WHAT IT COULD BE PLEASE HELP
Old 08-11-2010, 01:33 PM
Account Under Review

Mein Auto: 745i 2003
parking brake

Quote:
Originally Posted by mejiaprrs2 View Post
Makes three of us with same problem also have 02 745i. I will be looking into it if I find solution I will post only difference is that I recently got my REAR brake pads replaced about 2 weeks ago hoping it was something that wasnt done right and not the MOTOR. It was working fine for two weeks and know I have this annoying light. ANYONE OUT THERE HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS ABOUT WHAT IT COULD BE PLEASE HELP
Hey you don't have to replace the motor... there is a small part is broke i forgot the name but its very common.
its like 20$ smth....
Old 08-11-2010, 02:07 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 750li
Quote:
Originally Posted by mejiaprrs2 View Post
check and make sure the motor isn't working before you go out and replace it. remove the truck mat and you'll see a black cover above the spare, remove the cover and have someone activate the parking brake, mine works perfect yet i have the light meaning its probly something else like the battery
Old 08-11-2010, 02:57 PM
Account Under Review

Mein Auto: 745i 2003
parking brake

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...40&hg=34&fg=30

according to this picture, you have either actuator unit problem or could be something wrong with those cables.

make sure the motor is working first. Also would be cool to test your unit on somebody else car.
Old 08-11-2010, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N60B44 View Post
Hey you don't have to replace the motor... there is a small part is broke i forgot the name but its very common.
its like 20$ smth....
When i try to activate the parking brake i do hear the motor in the trunk so that tells me that the motor is working.Really interested about the part you mention if only you could be more specific as to what part it is or what location on the car i can find it.THANKS
Old 12-12-2011, 06:00 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW X5;2002 BMW 745i
Re:

It is probably the parking brake gear. Do a search for it and you will see it's a very common issue You can buy the gear for ~ $150 at odometergears.com and it even comes with a lifetime warranty. There is a youtube video that should be on that page that shows you how to replace the broken gears. Unfortunately you will need a bench vise and hydraulic press (or find someone with one!) The original ones are made out of Nylon so after awhile they get brittle, fracture, and crack..also the new ones are a better type of plastic I believe.
Old 12-12-2011, 08:13 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 745i
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyW View Post
It is probably the parking brake gear. Do a search for it and you will see it's a very common issue You can buy the gear for ~ $150 at odometergears.com and it even comes with a lifetime warranty. There is a youtube video that should be on that page that shows you how to replace the broken gears. Unfortunately you will need a bench vise and hydraulic press (or find someone with one!) The original ones are made out of Nylon so after awhile they get brittle, fracture, and crack..also the new ones are a better type of plastic I believe.
JImmy W is on Point!

2002 745i
Old 01-28-2012, 06:41 AM

Saw the video you are talking about.where is the gear box for this car?Thanks for the info

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Bimmer App
Old 01-28-2012, 08:04 AM
Mike

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW 750Li
I have seen the battery cause this problem only once. Most of the time it is the gears inside the actuator. I would not bother with the gears unless you want hours of frustration and cursing lol. Another easier route is to buy a good used actuator , they are the same from 02-08 7 series. I have replaced 4 actuators already ranging from 03 745s to 2007 750s. No programming necessary if you take the used route. Take little black cover off(2 Allen bolts), than you will see 2 small screws holding small metal bracket (take those off), than take 3 10mm bolts off that secure actuator to body, use emergency release tool in trunk kit and turn until you see parking brake ends facing outwards, now that the actuator is loose you will see the metal clips near the bottom under the actuator, use a flat head to push each side in and release cable from actuator. Once you install the replacement actuator , repeat the steps in reverse , clear codes stored in parking brake module . Now turn ignition on , not engine, actuate parking brake 3 times( each time being a sequence of on and off within 5 second intervals. Done.. Easier route in my opinion and if you buy a new actuator you have to take to dealer to do some type of programming($330). That's why I recommend getting a used one($200-$300) at most BMW salvage yards. Good luck
Old 01-30-2012, 02:26 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by xx7x4x5xx View Post
I have seen the battery cause this problem only once. Most of the time it is the gears inside the actuator. I would not bother with the gears unless you want hours of frustration and cursing lol. Another easier route is to buy a good used actuator , they are the same from 02-08 7 series. I have replaced 4 actuators already ranging from 03 745s to 2007 750s. No programming necessary if you take the used route. Take little black cover off(2 Allen bolts), than you will see 2 small screws holding small metal bracket (take those off), than take 3 10mm bolts off that secure actuator to body, use emergency release tool in trunk kit and turn until you see parking brake ends facing outwards, now that the actuator is loose you will see the metal clips near the bottom under the actuator, use a flat head to push each side in and release cable from actuator. Once you install the replacement actuator , repeat the steps in reverse , clear codes stored in parking brake module . Now turn ignition on , not engine, actuate parking brake 3 times( each time being a sequence of on and off within 5 second intervals. Done.. Easier route in my opinion and if you buy a new actuator you have to take to dealer to do some type of programming($330). That's why I recommend getting a used one($200-$300) at most BMW salvage yards. Good luck
Thank you for these instructions! I never could figure out how to unhook the Bowden cables even with them in the service position. I will look for this metal clip you speak of. I had been working on the parking brake sitting in the trunk where the spare wheel should be and ruining my back and neck in the process because TIS instructions say in order to remove the cables from the module you have to disconnect them at the wheels.
Old 01-30-2012, 09:21 PM
Mike

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW 750Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyW View Post
Thank you for these instructions! I never could figure out how to unhook the Bowden cables even with them in the service position. I will look for this metal clip you speak of. I had been working on the parking brake sitting in the trunk where the spare wheel should be and ruining my back and neck in the process because TIS instructions say in order to remove the cables from the module you have to disconnect them at the wheels.
No prob, my back did not feel that good either the first time i did this job. It is not necessary to disconnect the cables from the wheels, I will post a picture tmrw of the location of the clips, have a spare actuator laying around.
Old 01-30-2012, 09:30 PM

Is that actuator working? I might need one. I had done the odometergears.com repair a month ago and now something got out of alignment on the shaft that I bench pressed together. The spring pin holes no longer line up. I'm thinking of just putting in a used one and calling it a day.
Old 02-07-2012, 07:19 PM
jones5707

I have an 03 745 with the park brake light on I backed the car in to park on a slight hill and engaged the brake when pulling off the light came on I notice only when I turns right or goes around a right curve I hears a squealing sounds coming from the right rear since I had the car never did any brake work on the rear anyone has any suggestions

Sent from my DROIDX using Bimmer App
Old 03-24-2012, 05:00 PM
Clean745i

Mein Auto: 2003 745i
Parking Brake

Quote:
Originally Posted by jones5707 View Post
I have an 03 745 with the park brake light on I backed the car in to park on a slight hill and engaged the brake when pulling off the light came on I notice only when I turns right or goes around a right curve I hears a squealing sounds coming from the right rear since I had the car never did any brake work on the rear anyone has any suggestions

Sent from my DROIDX using Bimmer App
I have a similar issue. My garage sits on a not too high hill, but high enough for the car to roll. I pulled the car from the garage facing downwards. Put the car in Park, released the brake pedal and instantly press the emergency parking button. Immediately I heard a noise coming from behind the rear left wheel and the instrument parking light turned yellow. I'ts been like that for several weeks now. The car sits in the garage most of the time anyways, however that day I had to use it for a little while. By the time I got back to the house I had driven it for close to 100 miles without any brake trouble other than the yellow light on. After reading some of the posts in here...seems like I'll be looking to buy the actuator or the parts to fix it. I'm not sure I want to go thru all the hassle of doing it myself. I'll see once I pulled the actuator out one of these days.
Old 03-30-2012, 09:19 AM

Mein Auto: '06 750i, '01 M3 vert
I've got the parking brake repair kit for sale in case you need it.

Here's the for sale link:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...173&highlight=

-Rick
Old 05-10-2012, 07:19 PM

Mein Auto: 745I
How can I clear the codes for the parking brake malfunction? I just change the gear in the parking unit box I reinstall everything I unplugged the battery for like 30 minutes hoping that will take the light off and clear the parking brake malfunction error off, but no luck!!!! light still on and I can get it to clear out the error. any advice?
Old 05-10-2012, 07:27 PM

You have to take it to the dealer or buy a cable and reset it yourself. Try pressing the parking brake 3 times with a few seconds in between.
Old 05-10-2012, 07:45 PM

I think it has to be programmed at the dealer or Indy if don't have the equipment.
Old 05-10-2012, 08:08 PM

What cable can I buy to reset it? Do you guys know how much and where can I buy the software to programmed the car? because pretty soon I'm going to need a new battery and I need to register the battery 2 so might as well just try to get the equipment if is not too expensive. Thanks for your help
Old 05-13-2012, 08:23 AM

Mein Auto: '06 750i, '01 M3 vert
I thought I recall seeing a BMW TIS procedure for recalibrating the parking brake. Check spaghetti coder...
Old 05-13-2012, 11:12 AM

That's so weird I'm trying exactly step by step what you post it... Ignition on, and pressing the Parking button 3 times with intervals of 5 seconds but the light is not coming off and I dont hear or see the unit moving, I'm 100% sure the motor was good before pulling the unit out. Could something burn it out? when I work on the car I always unplug the battery.... I guess I will have to take it to the shop to get it program.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series & 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Today's Posts Search