Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 04-30-2013, 04:22 PM
Regional Sponsor

Mein Auto: X3
Valve stem seals done for $2500!

For those who don't know me.... I'm a BMW master tech located in Long Island, NY who has helped out many forum members here in the past (just do a search and you'll find me). I've been seeing many posts about the common valve stem seal issue with the N62 and N62TU engine. Symptoms include excessive oil consumption and severe smoking from the tail pipe. I'm offering to complete the repair for $2500 total (parts and labor). This includes new valve cover gaskets, new upper timing case cover gaskets and valve stem seals of course. I would need 2 full days to complete the repair, I'm available on weekends (I work at the dealer during the week). Most dealers charge anywhere from $8,000 to $12,000 to have this done, so here's your chance to save a ton of cash! I've had someone drive over 12 hrs to meet me and to have the repair done, it was well worth it for that customer. You guys can post here or PM me. I'm also a forum regional sponsor, so my contact info is located in the section of the forum. Thanks!
Ads by Google
Old 05-01-2013, 12:09 PM
Dr.BMW

Mein Auto: Fastest M3 in Tx
So what do you do for secondary air issues then? Because valve guide seals are just half of the problem.......
Old 05-01-2013, 12:45 PM
Regional Sponsor

Valve guide seal failure is the cause of the secondary air blockage. The N62tu (750) does not have secondary air, so it's not an issue in those vehicles. For the 745's.... You can have leaking valve stem seals and not yet have blocked secondary air ports. I have my own BMW diagnostic equipment which I will use to check the secondary system before I perform the repairs. If there is an issue with blockage, then I have a separate repair for that.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 05-01-2013, 08:17 PM
Dr.BMW

Mein Auto: Fastest M3 in Tx
I guess you haven't run across heads so gunked up you have to drill out the sec air passages? I can't count how many I have done with it like that..... In fact i just pulled another engine out today for the heads to be redone.... Just got done with a 750 last week.... But it needed everything (guides/pipe/seals/alt gasket/vcg's/tcc's/etc)
Old 05-02-2013, 03:17 AM
Regional Sponsor

Sure, I've seen them that bad.

Old 05-04-2013, 07:08 AM
Regional Sponsor

Bump for you guys

Old 05-04-2013, 01:36 PM
Regional Sponsor

Here's a pic of the last seal job I did. The difference between the old and new seals is pretty clear

Last edited by bmwoem1; 12-16-2013 at 05:00 PM.
Old 05-04-2013, 01:53 PM
CRISP & CLEAN

Mein Auto: 745LI
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwoem1 View Post
Bump for you guys

To bad you ain't out here in Cali. I don't need it done,
But I know a few people out here that sure do

If you need a Custom 2014 DVD Navigation Map
East or West for your E65 E66 PM me for price .
Or if you Need an AUX Plug for your car hit me up
Old 05-04-2013, 06:08 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 760li
I really hope I don't ever have this problem. If I do though, I know I won't be concerned because you will definitely be fixing it.
Old 05-04-2013, 09:22 PM

Mein Auto: 05' 760li,94' H1,08'Smart
Does the 760 V12 N73 engine use the same seals?
Old 05-04-2013, 10:08 PM
sjambok

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW 750 LI
Happy to report, that was my car bmwoem1 did this job on. After exchanging a few phone calls and messages with dude, I drove to New York from Ohio for the weekend. To be honest, I was kinda hesitant about handing over my car keys to a stranger that far away and just walking away but after meeting him, I felt comfortable. I dropped the car off on saturday morning and by sunday late afternoon, the job was done. He drove to my hotel and dropped the car off, the car drives and even sounds better now and all my annoying smoking issues are gone. I had other drivetrain noises which dude was able to diagnose and resolve for free. I am so glad I got this done and the job couldn't have been done by a better person, thanks for everything man.
Old 05-10-2013, 09:09 AM
Regional Sponsor

Your welcome, bump for everyone else

Old 05-10-2013, 01:10 PM

Mein Auto: Many things
I need to buy the tools but will probably tackle it this summer.
Old 05-13-2013, 02:34 PM
Regional Sponsor

My weekends are starting to fill up quick, so get in while you can guys!

Old 05-26-2013, 05:30 PM
Regional Sponsor

Bump

Old 06-06-2013, 05:25 AM
Regional Sponsor

Old 06-06-2013, 11:57 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 750LI
what parts exactly are needed to do this repair?
Old 06-06-2013, 05:58 PM
Regional Sponsor

The valve stem seals and camshaft bolts are the only NEEDED parts, but I always replace the valve cover gaskets and upper timing case cover gaskets when I do the job. All these gaskets/bolts are included in the price. The special tools required for the job are about $1,000.... that doesn't include some of the specialty sockets, extensions, ratchets, etc....
Old 06-12-2013, 12:10 AM

$1000? I thought I saw the BMW timing jig and the spring compressor for less than $300 combined.
Old 06-12-2013, 03:40 AM
Regional Sponsor

There's more needed than the timing tool and spring compressor. A quality timing kit cost me about $380 alone

Last edited by bmwoem1; 06-12-2013 at 04:30 AM.
Old 06-12-2013, 01:06 PM

What else other than gaskets? I've done this procedure multiple times on various domestics, this car has harder to reach parts but otherwise doesn't seem like rocket science.

Old 06-14-2013, 06:23 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 550I (N62TU) V8
**The valve stem diameter was increase at a production point to remedy the guide problem. I can not believe BMW would continue to use inferior stem seals after this change. I have attached my post related to this carbon buildup issue. My vehicle has passed smog test & no longer smokes. I did have to run the procedure twice before it lowered the HC levels within specs. And I will probably do it 1 more time for good measure. It cost me $200 to fix compared to the $4000 > $5000 I was told it would take for a guide/seal replacement **

2006 BMW 550I 92,000 miles V8 (N62TU)
Smokes (white/gray ) failed visual Smog Report (15 mph HC ppm Measured 91 Max. 49)

It used oil (approx. 1 qt. per 2-3 tanks) and I read the history of V8 valve stem problems (internet & local shop research), I was about to have the valve guide/stem seals replaced or drive the car off a cliff. But it didn't have the classic symptoms of defective valve stem seals/guides. It also ran like a rapped ape (old school for ran great). I'm a heavy truck mechanic with old school car experience (35 years). The plugs were clean and the exhaust smelled funny, also the exhaust dripped clean water no matter how hot or long it ran. I pulled the intake throttle housing and noticed excessive oil. Replaced the (ccv) diaphragms in the valve covers (torn) & read up on the cyclone oil separator (like a Dyson vacuum). Because I wasn't happy with the oil consumption & residue in the intake, I fabricated a sponge with screen for each valve cover vent outlet. This cleaned out the oil residue and I assume it will reduce oil consumption while allowing crankcase recirculation, but it did not solve the smoke problem. I pulled the spark plugs and stuck a camera down a couple plug holes. Yes, the top of the pistons were loaded with carbon. So I sprayed Sea Foam in each plug hole, followed by a shot of low pressure shop air to help spread it around the piston. I let it sit for an hour or so, then reinstalled the plugs. I topped off the fuel tank with high octane and added 12 oz. of CRC Fuel System Cleaner (part #05063) to the tank. 100 miles later and what a difference no smoke or water dipping out the exhaust after warm up. I'm in love with the car again
Old 06-14-2013, 06:44 AM
Regional Sponsor

Is there a reason you're posting this in my threads?? If your carb cleaning of the pistons stopped your smoke issue, what does that have to do with the valve stem seals? I have posted pics of the old seals vs the new seals, the difference is clear. There is no amount of carb clean or sponges that will rejuvenate the brittle/warped seals nor will it stop these engines from smoking. I would get your car properly diagnosed by a BMW tech (not a truck mechanic) to verify you no longer have an oil consumption/smoke issue.

Old 06-14-2013, 08:53 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 550I (N62TU) V8
Yes, don't you think you should have your customers try spending $100 +/- before spending thousands? (Give them the option) The picture you posted show new versus old - there's going to be a difference in appearance - they don't indicate an old brittle/warped/torn seal (but I didn't zoom in). The obvious is oil in the intake - you should solve that problem before you yell there's a big dollar issue. I have cars with a 100,000 miles +, do you really think BMW wants a bad reputation by using inferior parts? I had extended warranty and took my car to a local BMW dealer with no success on a number of issues. One time the tech that returned missing hardware after completing a job delivered parts for NAPA 1 year prior. Just because you wear the badge doesn't mean you deserve it (in general terms). By the way, over my 35 yrs. I've worked for several car, truck (dealership/independent shops) and a motorhome dealership before starting my own business. I've also witnessed down right thievery at a few of them with no regard for the customers wallet. You're only good if you're open minded and honest.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:05 AM
Regional Sponsor

I've taken the intake manifold off of about 200 different N62/N62tu's.... Every single one of them had some oil in them (even the ones that did not smoke). The reason this small amount of oil is a non-issue is because these valvetronic engines only have 50 millibar of vacuum at a hot idle. Given the shape of the DISA manifold and the lack of vacuum, this oil will not make its way into the combustion chamber. So if I charged people $100 to remove this oil, it would be $100 wasted.... That is honesty