Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 10-31-2007, 01:26 PM
Tyler's Paw Paw

Mein Auto: 1993 325i
new drive shaft

I haven't seen this addressed, and a search brings up multiple threads but none that I looked at deal specifically with my question.

I've discovered that I need a new drive shaft. The car vibrates slightly between 25 - 30 mph when I'm accelerating, but other than that it's flawless. I just got the car out of the shop for tie rod ends, and my mechanic had the entire drive shaft out to find the problem. He told me to "get on the net" and find a good remanufactured shaft.

So far I've found two sites that offer remanufactured shafts for around $340 (not counting the core charge). Does anyone have any recommendations on sites that may offer something? '93 325i automatic.

I appreciate any help.

Thanks.

Conforti chip, aFe CAI, Bilstein struts/shocks, H&R springs, Mason Engineering strut brace, Borla exhaust, BSW/Sony audio, TMS cross drilled rotors/Hawk HPS high performance street pads, BMW style 43 16" wheels with Bridgestone Potenza P960 tires and if you've read this entire signature just to see what I've done to my car then you need some serious professional help.

Quote:
If you can't afford to do it right, you definitely can't afford to do it wrong.
Advertisement
Old 11-01-2007, 07:48 AM
Still here

Send a message via MSN to Pirate_copy
Mein Auto: M3
Hey buddy

You sure it is the driveshaft and not the guibo (flex disc)?

Edirty6 for life
Old 11-01-2007, 10:50 AM
Tyler's Paw Paw

absolutely sure ... they had the entire drive shaft out and inspected everything

Conforti chip, aFe CAI, Bilstein struts/shocks, H&R springs, Mason Engineering strut brace, Borla exhaust, BSW/Sony audio, TMS cross drilled rotors/Hawk HPS high performance street pads, BMW style 43 16" wheels with Bridgestone Potenza P960 tires and if you've read this entire signature just to see what I've done to my car then you need some serious professional help.

Quote:
Old 11-01-2007, 02:34 PM
Still here

Doh!

Edirty6 for life
Old 11-01-2007, 03:46 PM
I Am The Machine

Mein Auto: Dreier, Fünfer & Siebener
Out of curiosity, what exactly did he say was wrong with yours? Out of balance or what? As for where to find one, no clue. You may want to try wrecking yards though, it may be cheaper than finding one on the net. Of course, you'd want him to inspect it first most likely, but it may be worth a shot.
// 1999 Chevy Tahoe //

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimKlim View Post
You're a derbanana
Old 11-01-2007, 04:12 PM
M status achieved!

Mein Auto: 94 325i, 98 Protege
Typically the problem is not the driveshaft itself, but the u-joints it contains. Failing u-joints would cause this exact issue. Problem is BMW decided that their driveshaft would not have replaceable U-joints like most cars do, thus the reason he needs a new driveshaft.

Here's a place to try:
http://www.vacmotorsports.com/
Might be a bit more expensive, but the U-joints are serviceable afterwards.
Old 11-02-2007, 05:29 AM
Tyler's Paw Paw

Phantom, it's out of balance. It may very well be u joints, but as Jason pointed out it's a "one piece" apparatus.

For the time and trouble it'll take to find one parted out, take it somewhere and have it tested, then have it installed with absolutely no warranty, I think it makes more sense to buy a reconditioned one from the net with a warranty and all new parts. I've found two such sites that offer it totalled reconditioned with 12 month warranties for around $340. It looks like this is where I'm going.

I was just hoping that someone had a good experience buying one somewhere and would pass on the info.

Luckily this only affects the car at very low speeds under heavy loads, i.e. going uphill in a residential area or pulling out from a stop light quickly. Once I get up above 30 mph or so it doesn't do it, no matter how hard I get on it.

To be honest, it's probably saving me money in gas; I now have a tendency to accelerate slowly from a dead stop.

Quote:
Old 11-02-2007, 05:58 AM
M status achieved!

Out of balance? Hmm... Since it is a 2 pc unit, I bet it wasn't lined up properly or a weight fell off. If they checked it on a balancer, then the addition of the correct weights would fix the issue providing it's not the U-joints as I mentioned earlier. BMW also sells weighted bolts for the diff input shaft to counteract an out of balance driveshaft.
Old 11-02-2007, 01:07 PM
Tyler's Paw Paw

Wouldn't an out of balance drive shaft vibrate at all speeds? Especially higher RPMs.

Just curious.

Quote:
Old 11-02-2007, 02:36 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 94 BMW 325is
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Spence View Post
Wouldn't an out of balance drive shaft vibrate at all speeds? Especially higher RPMs.

Just curious.

+1

I think if the actual drive shaft was out of balance, it would be more noticable at higher speeds. If it IS indeed in need of a drive shaft, I'd go with the aftermarket deal with the replaceable u joints if you plan on keeping the car a while. I'd stay away from anything salvage- as you never know what condition its in or how long that ones gonna last. Regardless if it looks ok at this point .i would go ahead and replace the guibo as well.
Old 11-02-2007, 05:20 PM
M status achieved!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andycapps View Post
+1

I think if the actual drive shaft was out of balance, it would be more noticable at higher speeds. If it IS indeed in need of a drive shaft, I'd go with the aftermarket deal with the replaceable u joints if you plan on keeping the car a while. I'd stay away from anything salvage- as you never know what condition its in or how long that ones gonna last. Regardless if it looks ok at this point .i would go ahead and replace the guibo as well.
If you go with VACmotorsports, their remaned driveshaft comes with a pre-installed center support, and a guibo. Plus their u-joints are serviceable.

And yes, and out of balance driveshaft would vibrate all the way through, however like a wheel that is out of balance, it will find a "smooth" spot at a certain rpm. That's why a tire balanced to 70 MPH is not necessarily still in balance at 100.
Old 11-02-2007, 05:22 PM
Still here

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonf860 View Post
If you go with VACmotorsports, their remaned driveshaft comes with a pre-installed center support, and a guibo. Plus their u-joints are serviceable.

And yes, and out of balance driveshaft would vibrate all the way through, however like a wheel that is out of balance, it will find a "smooth" spot at a certain rpm. That's why a tire balanced to 70 MPH is not necessarily still in balance at 100.
+1, resonance is an odd thing

Edirty6 for life
Old 11-03-2007, 05:37 AM
M status achieved!

Nvh Ftw!