Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 11-01-2007, 03:46 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2008 535xi
535 tire pressure light

So I got into my 535xi earlier and the front tire pressure light went on. Normally when that has happened in any of my other cars I would simply go to the gas station and fill up the tires with air, but for a couple of reasons I wanted to check with people here who are far more knowledgeable than I am.

First, there were about 4 or 5 different warnings that went off about the tire pressure. I couldn't look anywhere without hearing about the low pressure and that it is hazardous to drive too fast with it. Is this just BMW's way of being thorough? Are there different levels of how low the tire pressure and the number of alerts (as opposed to just the light and an occasional notice) change, or if even the pressure is slightly low do you get the full shebang of alerts?

Second, if I do fill it up at the gas station will all the alerts go off once the tire gets back to the appropriate level or will I have to reset the warning alerts?

I have had my car for about 5-6 months and I did purchase a tire warranty. Is it normal to need to fill it up with air after this amount of time or would people recommend me bringing it in to be looked at? I live in Chicago and it hit about 40 degrees out for the first time so I don't know if it could have gone off b/c of the colder weather. I took a look at the tire and it appeared fine but I'm far from certain. I'm treating this car differently than any of my prior cars (it is a BMW after all), but I don't want to over do it. I'm guessing I would feel like a schmuck if I went in to a dealership and they just say that one of the tires is a little low on air and I should have gone to the gas station.

At least this way if I feel stupid I'm doing it without having to look anyone in the eye

Thanks for the help.
Old 11-01-2007, 04:21 AM

Mein Auto: MY07 530xi
Three weeks ago all of my sensors went off. That is, the Tire Pressure Monitor alerted me that the tires were low with the multitude of warnings, etc. It was just that the temperature was in the 30s and all of the tires needed to be "tweaked". This is the second or third time it has happened in 18 months; each time due to cold weather. The tire seal is not perfect and you will have to check the pressures occasionally.

But, I would strongly suggest using an accurate tire pressure gauge and following the reccommended pressure settings inside the driver's door panel.

You also have to reset the TPM (Tire Pressure Monitor) via the iDrive and also drive around a little to get it fully reset.
MY07 530xi Monaco Blue, Beige Interior, Steptronic, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package, Premium Sound Package, Sirius Radio, HD Radio, Navigation, Rear Sun Shades, Park Distance Control, Comfort Seats and Fold Down Rear Seats.
Old 11-01-2007, 05:34 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X5 35i Premium
If you live in the colder regions the temperature drop on overnight usually trips the gauge.

This first happened to me last year when I first got my car and the first time it got pretty cold here the low tire pressure indicater went off. After inspecting the pressure i noticed there was a .5 drop in pressure and filled it up at the local gas station.

So don't worry about it this is normal.
2007 525i - Black Sapphire Metallic, Black Nevada Leather, Premium package, CWP, 6MT.
Old 11-01-2007, 07:06 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 BMW 530i
Excellent thread guys. I was just coming back from the halloween parade in NYC and my flat time monitor went off. So I thought I had a problem even if I didn't hear the thuds you would hear from normal flats. It turned out that one of the rear tires had 0.5 psi less than the others.

I was concerned about the tires since they were just purchased a month ago and had them fitted by the dealership. It appears all 4 tires were gauged at 32 psi. but the door panel recommends front 29 and rear 35 psi.

My question is will the balancing if I regauge all tire from 32 psi to factory standard be affected?

MY04 530i Titanium gray, Dakota Grey Interior, Steptronic, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package, Premium Sound Package, Navigation, Rear Sun Shades, Park Distance Control.
Old 11-01-2007, 09:01 AM
Running around in circles

Mein Auto: E46 ZHP
Just fill up now and reset the system. Remember to compensate for the warm tires if you have to drive a ways to fill up and add a few psi. When the tires are cold in the morning, recheck them.
Ideally tires should be checked once a month.

Previous Bimmers ( All sorely missed ):
2007 Mystic Blue 530i - ED 12-15-06
2003 Grey Green 330i
2003 Electric Red 325iTa

Angular velocity is where it's at

-Jay

Last edited by jcatral14; 11-01-2007 at 09:05 AM.
Old 11-01-2007, 12:46 PM

Thanks for the help.
Old 11-01-2007, 02:40 PM

I just picked up a digital tire pressure gauge (those things are much better than the old ones) and it said that the front right (which triggered the sensor) is at 24.5 and the front left is at 27. The backs are at 27 and 27.5.

Based on the manual my tires are supposed to have 32 in the fronts and 35-36 in the backs. I will obviously fill them up with air, but is this in the danger zone? Do I need to get to a gas station ASAP?

Also how often do most people check their tire pressure? When I look at all four tires none of them appear to be low in air.

Thanks for the help.
Old 11-01-2007, 03:35 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 BMW 535i
I check my tire pressure a least weekly. I live in a hot climate and check the pressure before starting out. It only takes a couple of minutes, but is well worth the time. I also have a an old paint compressor in my garage to set the pressures to the correct values while the tires are cold.

I seem to hit
every light red.

'08 535i, Monaco Blue, Cream Beige Leather, Premium Package, Steptronic, Nav, Rear Folding Seats, Rear Side Airbags, Comfort Access.
Old 11-01-2007, 05:00 PM
Running around in circles

Mein Auto: E46 ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ks-man View Post
I just picked up a digital tire pressure gauge (those things are much better than the old ones) and it said that the front right (which triggered the sensor) is at 24.5 and the front left is at 27. The backs are at 27 and 27.5.

Based on the manual my tires are supposed to have 32 in the fronts and 35-36 in the backs. I will obviously fill them up with air, but is this in the danger zone? Do I need to get to a gas station ASAP?

Also how often do most people check their tire pressure? When I look at all four tires none of them appear to be low in air.

Thanks for the help.
RFT are harder to eyeball because of their stiff sidewalls. I would fill up asap.

Previous Bimmers ( All sorely missed ):
2007 Mystic Blue 530i - ED 12-15-06
2003 Grey Green 330i
2003 Electric Red 325iTa

Angular velocity is where it's at

-Jay