Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 11-03-2007, 01:12 AM

Mein Auto: 545i
Thumbs down Have you Heard of "APA Industries" aka "URO Parts"

I bought a set of Control Arms & Tensioner from my Favorite Store on Ebay FCP Groton.
Both Items Failed on me after 36 days of installation, the Ball Joints on The arms had Big time play as if you could move it with little finger & the Tensioner had lost it, it became like bicycle wheel.

Called FCP, they said like stated "Made in the USA by APA Industries; URO Parts". They told me to call APA industries directly for Warranty.

Upon my Phone call to APA industries, i asked for the Sales Manager, he was out on Vacation, the man on the phone told me that FCP bought items from many cheap vendors(MTC, Karlyn,Pex etc) so they didnt know if the product was indeed theirs. If it was theirs they would have to send to to their Supplier in China to have it checked for Warranty.

I was shocked, Made in China vs Made in USA ?

Also looked at all the other Auctions, all of them say, Made in Germany !
Are they indeed made in Germany ? Like the Man at APA/URO Parts said that most of their Product are from China!Contact A.P.A.. Customer Service. Phone: (800) 290-5555 x3
Anyhow neither did APA/Euro parts refund my Money nor did FCP !

Im going back to OE Parts. A good lesson learnt.
Advertisement
Old 11-07-2007, 09:19 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 330Ci & 5HP Lawnmower
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanley Miller View Post
I bought a set of Control Arms & Tensioner from my Favorite Store on Ebay FCP Groton.
Both Items Failed on me after 36 days of installation, the Ball Joints on The arms had Big time play as if you could move it with little finger & the Tensioner had lost it, it became like bicycle wheel.

Called FCP, they said like stated "Made in the USA by APA Industries; URO Parts". They told me to call APA industries directly for Warranty.

Upon my Phone call to APA industries, i asked for the Sales Manager, he was out on Vacation, the man on the phone told me that FCP bought items from many cheap vendors(MTC, Karlyn,Pex etc) so they didnt know if the product was indeed theirs. If it was theirs they would have to send to to their Supplier in China to have it checked for Warranty.

Are they indeed made in Germany ? Like the Man at APA/URO Parts said that most of their Product are from China!Contact A.P.A.. Customer Service. Phone: (800) 290-5555 x3

Same thing happened to my brother's 323i and he had it replaced with OE :d
Old 11-08-2007, 09:09 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 330XI
File an item not as described with paypal and dispute the payment. You may have a chance to get your money back... or if you paid with a credit card, report it to your credit card company... Worth it to try to get some of your money back... Good luck.
Old 11-08-2007, 10:27 PM

Mein Auto: 325i
FCP Groton should back up what they sell. A reseller should warranty their products and not leave it to you to chase the manufacturer. I have gotten stuff from them before. Now I have to think twice before I place another order.
Old 11-09-2007, 11:16 AM
'Fest Sponsor

Mein Auto: 2001 Z3
Sadly your story is not the first, If you do a search on FCP on bimmerboard you will find many with your complaint. Many people are quickly lured in by the super cheap prices they sell there parts at but quickly find out why they were so cheap.
Old 11-09-2007, 11:20 AM

Mein Auto: 330Ci & 5HP Lawnmower
I have bought from FCP Grotton many times, but you have to watch the price (if way too low) and ask of the make. There are many BMW approved manufacturers out there, and ones that are not approved.

The stuff I bought were Oil filters, Fuel Filter, Timing belt (BMW OE), Shock Mounts (Made from Mayle and the HD version).

My brother had bought Mayle non-HD (Orignal BMW spec). This version fails easy as the rubber specified by BMW is not HD and if your road conditions are hectic with lots of potholes, your suspension will fail in 3 months just like it did to my brother. He now bought Mayle HD like I did...more money but better quality
Old 11-15-2007, 01:58 PM
Account Under Review

Mein Auto: 2004 M3
Hi Stanley,

First and foremost I want to deeply apologize for any trouble this caused you. Your parts should have been returned to us by FCP under our 24mo unlimited mile warranty, which would then have been credited back to FCP assuming they were in fact made by us. After further investigation it doesn't look like FCP has ever purchased that tensioner from us.

If you haven't received credit for the control arm, please return them directly to us to expedite this credit for you. Our address for warranty returns is the following:

RE: RMA# 50377
2130 Ward Ave.
Simi Valley, CA 93065

It is very important we get this item back so that a full analysis can be done to determine the cause of the premature failure. This is a very unusual incident. We have no warranty history on this part, however, if the part is determined to be the cause of the failure you can be sure improvements will be made to prevent any future occurrences.

Best regards,
Daniel Seeman
URO Parts - General Manager
Old 11-26-2007, 11:09 PM

Mein Auto: 545i
I am aware that things happen all the time to Parts & I thank you for accepting the Parts back. What was not fair was no one standing up for these failed parts.

Who does the Failed Tensioner Belong to ?

What is the Actual Country of Origin of these URO Parts ?

FCP Says " Made in USA"

You guys say " Made in China "

Are they bought from Factories of do APA Industries/URO Parts have their own factories.

I Found an APA industries in Bangkok , Thailand.
I'm confused, are these "Made in Thailand" ?

One more question Why are they so cheap ? the EURO$ is US$1.49 ? They should be more expensive ? Right ?
Old 02-14-2010, 07:24 AM
Sponsor

Mein Auto: European Cars Galore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanley Miller View Post

Stanley,

I apologize for any poor experience you may have had with our company and what you are explaining above doesn't sound right. We would never tell a customer after 36 days of install to go to the manufacturer. All of our products are carried by a 1 year warranty and we stand behind that. You can call us directly on Monday at 877-634-0063 ext 206 and speak to our sales manager and technician Mike Rivera and he will make things right.

Regards,
Old 02-14-2010, 08:51 AM
Living Life At The Beach

Mein Auto: 2004 325 Convertible
Umm... orig thread is from 2007!
Old 02-14-2010, 02:49 PM
BMW Nuthead

Mein Auto: e92 M3 6mt
junk dont buy, fitment is poor and it doesnt last half the life of BMW OEM parts or OEM supplier parts
DRB Motorsports axle back exhaust
Old 02-14-2010, 05:23 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 325XI Sport pkg
Aftermarket is aftermarket. Use on your own risk. I would stay away from aftermarket suspension components. Had small issue with tensioners as well, original covers did not fit. They should sell with overs or go OEM. Free play was a bit too much for new bearing, so I do not expect those tensioners last 40-50K km as originals. Price difference not worth it.
Old 02-14-2010, 08:33 PM
BMW Nuthead

Mein Auto: e92 M3 6mt
oembimmerparts is correct, I buy parts from Max at oembimmerparts.com because our customers love the products and oembimmerparts backs them up..we buy most of their Meyle HD suspension components
DRB Motorsports axle back exhaust
Old 02-15-2010, 11:29 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 325Ci coupe auto
I have heard of URO parts discussed here and there. The prices are super cheap but not of good quality.
Old 02-27-2010, 10:47 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 325XI Sport pkg
Quote:
Originally Posted by LX-biker View Post
Aftermarket is aftermarket. Use on your own risk. I would stay away from aftermarket suspension components. Had small issue with tensioners as well, original covers did not fit. They should sell with overs or go OEM. Free play was a bit too much for new bearing, so I do not expect those tensioners last 40-50K km as originals. Price difference not worth it.
Small update: URO deflection pulley found totally dry when I did changing belts few days ago. Did not survive one Canadian winter and even 10K km. Had to install OEM with repacked lubricant until new OEM delivered. Should I claim warranty?
Old 02-27-2010, 11:24 AM
catso

Mein Auto: 2000 323i, 1988 528e
Quote:
Originally Posted by LX-biker View Post
Small update: URO deflection pulley found totally dry when I did changing belts few days ago. Did not survive one Canadian winter and even 10K km. Had to install OEM with repacked lubricant until new OEM delivered. Should I claim warranty?
Why not? Ask if they'll upgrade you to the OEM part. If not, at least you've got a spare or another paperweight.
Old 02-27-2010, 01:02 PM

Mein Auto: e46 ZHP, e90 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerboy2051 View Post
I have heard of URO parts discussed here and there. The prices are super cheap but not of good quality.
Pretty much all online vendors sell both oem and a/m! When you see a link to an alternate brand, most likely that's the a/m cheaper alternative. If price is your number one consideration, or if the price differential is huge, most are tempted to go with the alternate brand. Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't. If you diy, just buy the best fitting part..