Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Bimmerfest 2014 > Previous Events > Bimmerfest 2008: Santa Barbara, CA

Bimmerfest 2008: Santa Barbara, CA
May 3rd has come and gone. Read stories, check out the pics and more from the largest BMW gathering in the land...

Old 11-04-2007, 11:22 AM
Retired Slacker

Mein Auto: A car.
Earl Warren

Good to know...

In history's spotlight: Earl Warren
Last Updated 11:57 pm PST Saturday, November 3, 2007
Story appeared in METRO section, Page B2

Born: March 19, 1891

Died: July 9, 1974

Known for: Earl Warren was U.S. chief justice for 16 years (1953-69) after serving a record 10 years, nine months as California's governor (1943-53).

Background: A Los Angeles native who grew up in Bakersfield, Warren earned his law degree at UC Berkeley before becoming district attorney for Alameda County. In 1939, he became the state's first attorney general born in California. Three years later, the Republican defeated incumbent governor Culbert Olson. He was also the running mate of Thomas Dewey, who was narrowly defeated by Harry Truman in the 1948 presidential election. Warren is best known for his years as chief justice, during which racial segregation in public schools was declared unconstitutional and the "one-man one-vote" ruling caused a major shift in legislative power. He also headed the commission that investigated the assassination of President John F. Kennedy.

A highlight: In August 2007, it was announced that Warren will be one of 13 people who will be inducted next month into the California Museum for History, Women and the Arts Hall of Fame.

Sources: Bee archives; warren.ucsd.edu

From the Sacramento Bee.
Old 01-21-2008, 07:50 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Euro M5 and an Alpina B9
Thank you for sharing that information, I had never put that together.
Old 01-22-2008, 06:14 PM
Retired Slacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by euroe28m5 View Post
Thank you for sharing that information, I had never put that together.
Seriously? Are you new to California?
Old 01-25-2008, 09:05 AM

Mein Auto: Euro M5 and an Alpina B9
Quote:
Seriously? Are you new to California?
Yeah, seriously. I am sure there is more than ONE person named Earl Warren....hence the suprise that it was the U.S. Chief Justice. And no, I am not new to California either and I was born on the same day he was too!

I know a guy named Dave Brown, but he had nothing to do with Aston Martin.
I know a guy named D.B. Cooper, but he has never jumped out of a plane.
I also know a guy named Jesus, but he can't walk on water!
Old 01-25-2008, 04:49 PM
Retired Slacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by euroe28m5 View Post
Yeah, seriously. I am sure there is more than ONE person named Earl Warren....hence the suprise that it was the U.S. Chief Justice. And no, I am not new to California either and I was born on the same day he was too!

I know a guy named Dave Brown, but he had nothing to do with Aston Martin.
I know a guy named D.B. Cooper, but he has never jumped out of a plane.
I also know a guy named Jesus, but he can't walk on water!
Dang, you were born in 1891!! Yep he was a CA Governor, Supreme Court Justice and headed the Warren Commission. I suppose the Fairgrounds COULD have named for Earl Warren, who used to work at Dairy Queen.
Old 04-01-2008, 03:44 PM

Send a message via AIM to BTrujillo
Mein Auto: 1995 M3
[QUOTE=Bmwcat;2772825] during which racial segregation in public schools was declared unconstitutional
QUOTE]

Also known as Brown vs. Board of Education of Topeka, Kansas...one of the most important decisions in US history. He was governor at the time of Mendez vs. Westminster which resulted in desegregation of schools in California...specifically around the segregation of Mexican children. The decision influenced him so much that he expanded desegregation efforts in California. Thurgood Marshall wrote an amicus curiae (friend of the court) brief in Mendez vs. Westminster that he would later use as his argument as the lead attorney in Brown vs. Board...when Earl Warren was the Chief Justice...good and unfortunately overlooked example of the role that California had on the national civil rights movement.
Old 04-01-2008, 04:14 PM

Mein Auto: BMW '08 535i
[QUOTE=BTrujillo;3140903]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwcat View Post
during which racial segregation in public schools was declared unconstitutional
QUOTE]

Also known as Brown vs. Board of Education of Topeka, Kansas...one of the most important decisions in US history. He was governor at the time of Mendez vs. Westminster which resulted in desegregation of schools in California...specifically around the segregation of Mexican children. The decision influenced him so much that he expanded desegregation efforts in California. Thurgood Marshall wrote an amicus curiae (friend of the court) brief in Mendez vs. Westminster that he would later use as his argument as the lead attorney in Brown vs. Board...when Earl Warren was the Chief Justice...good and unfortunately overlooked example of the role that California had on the national civil rights movement.
I knew that. See PBS does educate.

dj
Dark Poplar
6 Sp Manual
Sport
Premium
Rear Shades

BMW CCA #392316