Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 11-05-2007, 10:11 PM

Mein Auto: '08 128i Sport Pack/6MT
Clock Setting 2005 E46

I'm having trouble adjusting the time on my clock on my Business CD stereo on my 2005 E46. I've done some research out here/looked at owners manual and apparently the left post sticking out of the instrument cluster is how it is supposed to be adjusted. It's not working for me-I've pushed and turned the post in both directions and nothing. I'm not having any luck with little buttons/switch on steering wheel, either.

Can anyone help? I must be making it harder than it is...

Thanks in advance for any/all responses!

-Steve
Advertisement
Old 11-05-2007, 10:23 PM
2009 X5 48i

Mein Auto: 325 retired, x5 48i
Talking same issue

I wish I could help you and I wish someone could help me. I must have a similar version of the business cd/radio in my 2001 325i. Just got the car, love it, and wish I was looking at the right time. I have pushed and turned every nob as well. Go figure, If anyone replies to my thread I will pass it on to you! Good luck!
Old 11-05-2007, 10:44 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
It's the right knob. Use the turn signal button to put the OBC display on time and then twist the right knob to the left to reverse the time. It will also change the time on the radio display.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **
Old 11-05-2007, 10:50 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E85 M-Roadster, E82 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by gorch View Post
I'm having trouble adjusting the time on my clock on my Business CD stereo on my 2005 E46. I've done some research out here/looked at owners manual and apparently the left post sticking out of the instrument cluster is how it is supposed to be adjusted. It's not working for me-I've pushed and turned the post in both directions and nothing. I'm not having any luck with little buttons/switch on steering wheel, either.

Can anyone help? I must be making it harder than it is...

Thanks in advance for any/all responses!

-Steve
Set the OBC on the stalk to display the time in the cluster, twist the right post to adjust the time.
Old 11-06-2007, 06:47 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 BMW 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsc View Post
Set the OBC on the stalk to display the time in the cluster, twist the right post to adjust the time.
it takes a bit of force
Old 11-06-2007, 10:30 AM

Still having trouble...

What is OBC?

If I push/turn the left stalk I get all sorts of gibberish numbers/letters where mileage and temp is displayed. If I push/turn the right stalk I just toggle between F and C for outside temp.

Sigh...I even swung by the dealership to ask yesterday and they just said to play with the "stalks" and I should be able to set my clock.

I haven't been impressed with the owner's manual at all.

Thanks in advance again for any/all responses.

-Steve
Old 11-06-2007, 10:40 AM

Mein Auto: 05 M3
Push the button at the end of the left stalk (same stalk as your turn signal) until you see the clock appear. Then turn the right knob in the cluster left or right to adjust the time. If you're not on the clock, turning the knob does nothing.
Old 11-06-2007, 11:23 AM

Ah...

I'm afraid I didn't know what a "stalk" was. I originally knew but then thought/convinced myself that the two buttons on the gauge cluster is what was meant by "stalk".

I'll give it a shot (again) and report back.

Many Thanks,
Steve
Old 11-06-2007, 12:30 PM

Mein Auto: '04 325ci
The button to swith the OBC to clock is at the end of the stick that you use to signal with. Once you're staring at the clock, turn the right stick by the odometer cluster to adjust the time. Hope that helps.
Old 11-06-2007, 12:52 PM

turn signal...

should have read more carefully. my bad.

thanks again,
steve
Old 11-06-2007, 03:12 PM

Mein Auto: E46 330i ZHP
OBC = On Board Computer

2004 6MT IR 330i ZHP / alcantara w silver cube trim / split seat / xenons / moonroof / alarm / Bluetooth / UGDO / Huper Optik 35 / Aux audio / racing pedals / Euro FAK

2009 X5d TiAg/Premium/Sport w/Adaptive/ZCW/Active Seats/Running Boards/ 214 wheels+arches
ROLA rack/ACS pedals - RETIRED

2004 6MT TiAg 330i ZHP/ZCW/alcantara w silver cube trim / xenons/moonroof/alarm/Bluetooth/UGDO
Llumar Platinum 35/Aux audio/Zeckhausen CDV / Rogue clutch stop/racing pedals/Euro FAKs/Euro plate - RETIRED
Old 11-06-2007, 07:04 PM

Finally!

success....i did it! i'm an idiot-thanks to all for holding my hand thru the process. i've only had my E46 for 6 months and the learning continues.

-Steve
Old 11-07-2007, 08:32 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 325I
Although i was not the requester but special Thanks from my side also.....because reading your post helped me to figure out how to fix my clock, saved a lot of time to search around.

~ Malik

2002 325I, BLK on BLK, 30% Tints!
Old 12-06-2007, 06:05 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 325i
Had to change the battery on my 325i 2 wks ago. Been driving around with dashes instead of the time displayed on my radio. Made several attempts but nothing. Read this post, ran out to the car, now I have my clock back. Thanks Sp33D3m0n and all you who have contributed to this post. Bimmerfest forum rocks.
Old 12-06-2007, 08:39 PM

Mein Auto: 330 Ci ZHP:
I would like to second the comment that the owner's manual is not as good as it could be.

The idea they had was fine: Explain the concept, then get into details. However, they didn't execute the technical writing and illustrations well enough to allow owners to get the most out of the car without getting frustrated.
Old 12-07-2007, 06:02 AM
I brew life

Mein Auto: 2005 ZHP, Wife's Prius
Might I recommend http://www.bmwusa.com/driversguide/
select your car, and go to the "Features & Operations Guide" There are usually a fair bit of video clips that will help you with common operations in your car. My wife was making fun of me for watching all of them for my e46...but knowledge is power, and video is sometimes easier than reading.

I suggest checking out the wiki link at the top of the page, lots of helpful info there.

Has already been awarded the title "Destroyer of Sleep"
Old 12-08-2007, 05:13 AM
Gadget freak

Mein Auto: .02.330i.aw.
I thought I posted in this thread before, but couldn't find my replies... strange.
Old 03-07-2008, 12:52 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 330 CiC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Van Bimmer View Post
I would like to second the comment that the owner's manual is not as good as it could be.

The idea they had was fine: Explain the concept, then get into details. However, they didn't execute the technical writing and illustrations well enough to allow owners to get the most out of the car without getting frustrated.
I'll third that- that why I'm here!

As for the clock; I thought I was going to break the stick by speedometer!

Last edited by jpazbmw; 03-07-2008 at 12:58 PM.
Old 03-07-2008, 12:55 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 330 CiC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryphon View Post
Might I recommend http://www.bmwusa.com/driversguide/
select your car, and go to the "Features & Operations Guide" There are usually a fair bit of video clips that will help you with common operations in your car. My wife was making fun of me for watching all of them for my e46...but knowledge is power, and video is sometimes easier than reading.

I suggest checking out the wiki link at the top of the page, lots of helpful info there.
http://www.bmwusa.com/driversguide/ no longer works
Old 03-07-2008, 04:05 PM
I brew life

Mein Auto: 2005 ZHP, Wife's Prius
http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Content/Owner/dgh.aspx

Some models and years seem to have vids now, some don't...makes me wish I had saved them.

Has already been awarded the title "Destroyer of Sleep"
Old 03-07-2008, 04:35 PM
"Clunker" *****

Mein Auto: 1999 BMW 528A--165K
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Van Bimmer View Post

The problem is that they're writing for people who are very literate. They even know how to read maps.
Old 05-25-2012, 08:04 AM

Mein Auto: BMW E46/2 323ci
This is an old post...but it has the problem i am trying to fix.
I know what the OBC button, i used it, but i still cannot adjust the clock.

I press on the obc button until i see the clock on the board, then i switch the knob right or left.
I hear the "click" sound, that had to adjust the clock, but not in my case. It is still
--:--.
Tried all the methods, kept pressed the OBC at the clock to reset, pressed the knobs etc
I'm afraid i will break it if i switch harder...

any tips?

Cheers,
Marrs
Old 10-10-2012, 03:42 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 X5 4.4i
SAME Problem --:--

I am concerned that upgrading my Business CD (2004 year radio) is not compatible with my 2001 OBC. Could that possibly be? A 2001 car will not set clock on OBC or radio?

I followed all the steps, but since I changed my radio from Tape player to Business CD with Mode button, I can not set clock.

Any thoughts?