Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 03-24-2011, 12:21 PM
GONE

Mein Auto: .................
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emission View Post
I pinch myself daily. I really do. This week I drove a Ferrari 599, Bentley Continental Super Sport, McLaren SLR, Lamborghini Gallardo Superleggera, Audi R8 V10... story goes up next week.

I wish I could bring you guys along.

- Mike
So amazing.

Anways dude, you just have to test drive that Lambo, you just have too!

I watch almost every single car video review on youtube and have never come across you reviewing... Not that I know of at least?
Old 03-24-2011, 12:25 PM
Automotive Monomaniac

Mein Auto: Schnelle Autos
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWFTW91 View Post
So amazing.

I watch almost every single car video review on youtube and have never come across you reviewing... Not that I know of at least?
I'm flying to New York in a couple weeks to drive a couple brand-new Lambos on the track (Monticello Motor Club). I haven't yet looked up which ones... I don't think it's that beast.

I've never done a YouTube video. Not against doing video... just never done it. That will likely changed in the next few months as the industry sorta requires it these days. Okay, back on topic... jacking points. Jacking.

- Mike

'13 Audi Q5 2.0T Quattro 8AT
'15 Volkswagen Golf TDI 6MT
'86 Porsche 911 Turbo 4MT

Gone, but never forgotten... my E70 X5 35d, E90 335i, E46 330i, E36 328i, E70 X5 3.0si, E53 X5 3.0i.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Read my work as Editor-in-Chief for Autoweb!
Old 03-24-2011, 02:09 PM
Omnes rationi moderatum

Mein Auto: Certified Garage Princess
Quote:
Okay, back on topic... jacking points. Jacking.

- Mike
Okay, back on point - per the brake dust cured issue - now it is more imperative to me to be proactive about taking my wheels off to do a really good job of coating them with Rejex - and while I'm at it rotate the tires. A couple of questions:

1) Can I safely use the scissor jack from our MB E430 to jack up the E93?
2) Can I use two jack stands and first jack up the left side of the car, and then after rotating the tires repeat on the right side; or do I really need four jack stands to do this correctly?
3) Should I just bite the bullet and buy a floor jack?

I've changed tires by myself in driving rain storms and had to rotate the tires on the VW bug I learned to drive on before dad would take me to get my drivers license - so I do know how to do this in theory.

Euro Modded|Split Armrest|Rear Foglight Mod|BMW Performance Exhaust|CDV Delete|Shark Fin Antenna Delete|Front Reflector Delete|LUX H8 Angel Eyes|328i|3 Pedals|Das Fahren im Freien| BMWCCA#445793
Old 03-24-2011, 02:55 PM
(formerly SD 335is)

Mein Auto: '06 Z4 MR | '11 335is E92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic_Kat View Post
Okay, back on point - per the brake dust cured issue - now it is more imperative to me to be proactive about taking my wheels off to do a really good job of coating them with Rejex - and while I'm at it rotate the tires. A couple of questions:

1) Can I safely use the scissor jack from our MB E430 to jack up the E93?
2) Can I use two jack stands and first jack up the left side of the car, and then after rotating the tires repeat on the right side; or do I really need four jack stands to do this correctly?
3) Should I just bite the bullet and buy a floor jack?

I've changed tires by myself in driving rain storms and had to rotate the tires on the VW bug I learned to drive on before dad would take me to get my drivers license - so I do know how to do this in theory.
3) (First) You should just bite the bullet and buy a floor jack. Get an aluminum racing jack with a low saddle.

2) If you are rotating your tires front to back and vice versa on the same side, yes, you can just jack up one side, put two jack stands underneath that side, and swap the tires. Then repeat on the other side.

1) Don't know, I've never seen a MB E430 jack
Hers: 2011 335is Coupe (E92) | Le Mans Blue Metallic | Black Dakota Leather | Dark Glacier Aluminum | 6MT | ED 5/12/11

BMWCCA #444696 - Click to join and a chance to win a 1-Day M School at the BMW Performance Center!

Old 03-24-2011, 02:59 PM
Automotive Monomaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD 335is View Post
3) (First) You should just bite the bullet and buy a floor jack. Get an aluminum racing jack with a low saddle.

2) If you are rotating your tires front to back and vice versa on the same side, yes, you can just jack up one side, put two jack stands underneath that side, and swap the tires. Then repeat on the other side.

1) Don't know, I've never seen a MB E430 jack
+1

Buy a floor jack. They make life so much easier.

The problem with a jack made specifically for another vehicle is that the pad (the area that touches the underside) is often made/shaped just for that make/model. While it will easily lift a BMW, it may slip and damage the undercarriage, or worse... ouch.

- Mike

Gone, but never forgotten... my E70 X5 35d, E90 335i, E46 330i, E36 328i, E70 X5 3.0si, E53 X5 3.0i.
Old 03-24-2011, 03:14 PM
Ego writing cheques that

Mein Auto: Subaru Forester
Quote:
I pinch myself daily. I really do. This week I drove a Ferrari 599, Bentley Continental Super Sport, McLaren SLR, Lamborghini Gallardo Superleggera, Audi R8 V10... story goes up next week.

I wish I could bring you guys along.

- Mike
Mike - this is an E9X forum. Can you please post the trivial aspects of your non-E9X life in the Off-Topic or General Automotive Forums?

Thanks,

The Proletariat of E9X and The League of the Irrelevant.
Also available in Alpine White...
Old 03-24-2011, 03:15 PM
Automotive Monomaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M-ratedE90 View Post
Mike - this is an E9X forum. Can you please post the trivial aspects of your non-E9X life in the Off-Topic or General Automotive Forums?

Thanks,

The Proletariat of E9X and The League of the Irrelevant.
Who is Mike?

- Emission

Old 03-24-2011, 03:18 PM
Non compos Mentos

Mein Auto: 335i E92 TiAg 6MT ED
Kat, a regular floor jack like you usually see is great for lifting at the corners or along the rocker panel. To reach the central jacking point noted above, or the one in the back mentioned by ///M-rated, then you'll need the same thing but with an extended base. They are called long reach floor jacks, they allow the handle to move full stroke while the lift pad is way under a vehicle. You probably don't need to spend all the money for one of those.
The racing jacks are called that because they are relatively lightweight and easily thrown around into position. I'd pay the extra money and get one of those. Make sure you follow SD335is 's advice and get a low saddle. You wouldn't want it to not fit under your car when you have a flat tire!
Old 03-24-2011, 03:23 PM
Ego writing cheques that

The jackstands are key safety manouver only if you are going to be working under the car while it is raised. However, if you need the car to be jacked up while you clean and treat your wheels, i.e. a extanded period of time, you should probably use jackstands to minimize the amount of time your jack and hydraulic valve is under load.

You can get a Craftsman Low Profile 2.5 jack from Sears for $70. I use hockey pucks as jacking pads (Dicks Sporting Goods), but you can use wood or $35 BMW bespoke jack pad adapters.
Old 03-24-2011, 03:24 PM
Ego writing cheques that

Quote:
Who is Mike?

- Emission
Sorry, Emission.

Quote:
Dear Internet Mumpty....
How's that?
Old 03-24-2011, 03:58 PM
Omnes rationi moderatum

Mein Auto: Certified Garage Princess
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD 335is View Post

Yay! Thanks

Quote:
+1

Buy a floor jack. They make life so much easier.

The problem with a jack made specifically for another vehicle is that the pad (the area that touches the underside) is often made/shaped just for that make/model. While it will easily lift a BMW, it may slip and damage the undercarriage, or worse... ouch.

- Mike
I thought using the MB jack might not be such a good idea - I'm glad I didn't experiment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSXMachina View Post
Kat, a regular floor jack like you usually see is great for lifting at the corners or along the rocker panel. To reach the central jacking point noted above, or the one in the back mentioned by ///M-rated, then you'll need the same thing but with an extended base. They are called long reach floor jacks, they allow the handle to move full stroke while the lift pad is way under a vehicle. You probably don't need to spend all the money for one of those.
The racing jacks are called that because they are relatively lightweight and easily thrown around into position. I'd pay the extra money and get one of those. Make sure you follow SD335is 's advice and get a low saddle. You wouldn't want it to not fit under your car when you have a flat tire!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M-ratedE90 View Post
The jackstands are key safety manouver only if you are going to be working under the car while it is raised. However, if you need the car to be jacked up while you clean and treat your wheels, i.e. a extanded period of time, you should probably use jackstands to minimize the amount of time your jack and hydraulic valve is under load.

You can get a Craftsman Low Profile 2.5 jack from Sears for $70. I use hockey pucks as jacking pads (Dicks Sporting Goods), but you can use wood or $35 BMW bespoke jack pad adapters.
Thanks to all four of you guys for the advice and pointers and shopping tips. I've been wanting to ask this for a long time, but didn't want to start a whole thread for it.

Much Appreciated!
Old 03-24-2011, 04:42 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 E92 335i
Quote:
They also don't recommend turning rotors, or driving over 50 mph on a temporary spare.

However, I know better. Tires may be rotated across the vehicle without worry (as long as the tires aren't directional), and rotors may be turned (although I never do, but I do put new pads on old rotors). Lastly, I know temporary spare tires are speed rated to 81 mph ("M" rating)... so it's not the speed that they are worried about... it's the idiots who can't handle the vehicle stability imbalance of having one tire narrower than the other.

A wise man will rotate tires.

- Mike
Thanks for letting me know- sorry if I came across as being ignorant earlier. Looks like I'll have to start rotating my tires as well.
Old 03-25-2011, 01:17 PM

Mein Auto: 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by logicalscott View Post
You need better jackstands if they are less stable than your jack. A jack is for lifting a car onto jackstands.

I would never ever work on a car supported only by a jack.....and certainly not a $25 jack. Evbery $25 dollar jack that gets even occasional use will eventually fail...it may slowly drift down, it may drop like a rock or if you are lucky it will fail to lift something rather than drop it after it has.

Sorry...worst advice ever.
I guess you have no idea what you're talking about. I have two inexpensive floor jacks. One is 18 years old, the other is 10 years old. They don't fail. They don't even creep one mm.

And if it fails, so what? You're rotating tires, BFD! BTW, jackstands have a SMALLER footprint than floorjacks so which one is more stable? Next time try to unseize some wheels while the car is on jackstands, and you'll see how bad your advice is
Old 03-25-2011, 01:29 PM

Wow reading comprehension is a big problem here so let me repeat. No one said anything about getting under a car that's supported by a jack. I said for ROTATING TIRES all you need is 2 floor jacks. Who the hell gets under a car while rotating their tires. It is BETTER than using jackstands because there's a high probability at least one wheel will be seized on, and you do not want to be unseizing the wheel while it's on jackstands. Jackstands are less stable due to their smaller footprint.

But if you wanna try to unseize your wheels while on jackstands be my guest!

Last bit of advice, don't try to rotate tires with more than 2 floor jacks. Use 2 at a time and leave the other 2 corners of the car on the ground.

You guys who are telling people to place the car on 4 jackstands to rotate their tires are the one who's gonna get someone's car damaged. That is the most unstable situatoin for the car.
Old 03-25-2011, 01:48 PM
I do my crosswords in pen

Mein Auto: OEM+ 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnterTheDragon View Post
I guess you have no idea what you're talking about. I have two inexpensive floor jacks. One is 18 years old, the other is 10 years old. They don't fail. They don't even creep one mm.

And if it fails, so what? You're rotating tires, BFD! BTW, jackstands have a SMALLER footprint than floorjacks so which one is more stable? Next time try to unseize some wheels while the car is on jackstands, and you'll see how bad your advice is
Calm down.

Last time I checked hydraulic jacks have wheels. A stand with appropriate force on it will be far more stable than a jack under the same pressure with those little thingies that let it roll around.

BTW try loosening the lugs on the wheels first before jacking the car up. Much easier.
Old 03-25-2011, 02:00 PM
Non compos Mentos

Quote:

And if it fails, so what? You're rotating tires, BFD!
BTW, jackstands have a SMALLER footprint than floorjacks so which one is more stable? Next time try to unseize some wheels while the car is on jackstands, and you'll see how bad your advice is
Quote:
Wow reading comprehension is a big problem here so let me repeat. No one said anything about getting under a car that's supported by a jack. I said for ROTATING TIRES all you need is 2 floor jacks. Who the hell gets under a car while rotating their tires. It is BETTER than using jackstands because there's a high probability at least one wheel will be seized on, and you do not want to be unseizing the wheel while it's on jackstands. Jackstands are less stable due to their smaller footprint.

But if you wanna try to unseize your wheels while on jackstands be my guest!

Last bit of advice, don't try to rotate tires with more than 2 floor jacks. Use 2 at a time and leave the other 2 corners of the car on the ground.

You guys who are telling people to place the car on 4 jackstands to rotate their tires are the one who's gonna get someone's car damaged. That is the most unstable situatoin for the car.
Coming on a little strong aren't we? We're all friends here. Some may be more knowledgeable than others. If you have a different opinion about how to do things you can just state it.

I've been professionally repairing cars since 1977. My opinion is different that yours, but I'll can the attitude. There is nothing unstable about a good set of tripod floor stands. I'm not referring to those tin things from Pep Boys, but the real stuff from Snap-On or Matco, etc.

Some 'Festers are more than willing to spend the money on the right tools so that they are able to safely and expertly take care of their BMWs
Old 03-25-2011, 02:15 PM
Automotive Monomaniac

The only think keeping a floor jack raised is a small rubber O-ring holding back the oil... it fails and the car comes down. Jack stands are mechanically locked into position. I have never heard of one "collapsing" even when overloaded.

Don't get under your car while it is supported by a floor jack. After that, do whatever else you want.

- Mike

Old 03-25-2011, 03:01 PM

So according to you guys, everyone should be carrying a jackstand in the trunk because if they get a flat tire they'll need to support the car on jackstands while replacing the tire right? please!

My buddy works at a small tire/wheel shop. They don't have a lift. Everytime they install wheels it's done with a jack, no jackstands ever. I'll let them read this read thread about the experts saying that you need jackstands to rotate tires safely.
Old 03-25-2011, 03:02 PM
Automotive Monomaniac

Quote:
So according to you guys, everyone should be carrying a jackstand in the trunk because if they get a flat tire they'll need to support the car on jackstands while replacing the tire right? please!

My buddy works at a small tire/wheel shop. They don't have a lift. Everytime they install wheels it's done with a jack, no jackstands ever. I'll let them read this read thread about the experts saying that you need jackstands to rotate tires safely.
A trunk jack is not hydraulic they are mechanical (steel screw).

- Mike

Old 03-25-2011, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSXMachina View Post
Coming on a little strong aren't we? We're all friends here. Some may be more knowledgeable than others. If you have a different opinion about how to do things you can just state it.

I've been professionally repairing cars since 1977. My opinion is different that yours, but I'll can the attitude. There is nothing unstable about a good set of tripod floor stands. I'm not referring to those tin things from Pep Boys, but the real stuff from Snap-On or Matco, etc.

Some 'Festers are more than willing to spend the money on the right tools so that they are able to safely and expertly take care of their BMWs
It doesn't matter if it's a $100 pair from Snap-on or $20 pair from Harbor Freight, a 2.5 ton jackstand has a footprint of ~45 sq inches. A floor jack, 130 sq inches. Which do you think is more stable when you're banging on the wheel/tire to unseize it?
Old 03-25-2011, 03:11 PM
Automotive Monomaniac

Okay, here is exactly what I do...

I have two floor jacks (one aluminum and one steel). I also have six jack stands (two aluminum and four steel). The aluminum stuff is mostly used for the track, as it is much easier to carry around.

When at home, I jack the vehicle up with the steel unit and then put two or more jack stands under the vehicle (subframe, suspension mounting points, etc...). Then I let the jack down just a bit, to put light pressure on the jack stands. So, 95 percent of the weight is on the hydraulic jack, and 5 percent is on the stands (but they don't move). So, if the O-ring fails, nothing happens. Since the jack is always "loaded" my son/wife/neighbor can quickly make a few pumps and raise the vehicle in an emergency.

We have earthquakes in CA, and having a 5.0 hit while I am working under my car isn't appealing... I also often roll a wheel/tire under the car, for an extra safety cushion.

- Mike

Old 03-25-2011, 03:11 PM
wooohooo

Mein Auto: '08 335i coupe 6MT sport
Nordic Kat, I use a "bespoke" pad adapter, because wtheck, I guess I want to play it super safe on my first floor jack combo, but mine wasn't quite $35, but $19 from Burger.

http://burgertuning.com/BMW_jack_pad_adapter.html

I bought a Torin, because I think that's what the Professor uses, but maybe I'm making that up. If I remember correctly, if it's good enough for him, it's good enough for me. I think he owns three of them?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...product_img_T2

Like I said, it's my first floor jack, so I couldn't figure out at first that you have to twist the handle one way to be able to start lifting, and the opposite way (pretty sure it's counterclockwise lefty loosey) to start dropping the car. Twist slowly/gently to make sure the car doesn't crash down. When it does starts moving down, quickly relock righty tighty. From there you can subtly twist lefty just right at that "threshold". Sorry if this is all stupidly obvious to others, but this was all part of the learning curve on my recent wheel repairs.

I use these stands.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...product_img_T2

There is metal (which is covered with plastic) to the insides of the wheel wells. What I haven't yet found out is where to place the stands as far as the rear of me E92 is concerned (haven't taken those off yet). Lemme see if I can find front stand pics. Ok here is one for ya.

Oh, I also recently learned from my tire store manager friend that the jacks indeed depend on a little o-ring that is tiny and worth just a few cents; that's all that stops it from crashing down.

Last edited by Ilovemycar; 03-25-2011 at 03:16 PM.
Old 03-26-2011, 01:06 AM
Corner Carving Addict

Mein Auto: 09 - 335i E92
Correct me if I'm wrong but don't 3ers have staggered tires or is this just the 335i? Staggered = not interchangeable from front to back. Correct?
09 - 335i E92 / Monaco Blue / Saddle Brown / Dark Burl / Step / Comfort Access / Rear Sunshade / Heated Seats / PDC / iDrive / Sat. Radio / iPod & USB / Prem Pkg / Sport Pkg / OEM Alarm / Ventus V12 (Non-RFT) / V1 and other goodies...
Old 03-26-2011, 11:49 AM
Non compos Mentos

Correct, staggered wheels cannot be rotated front to back. Only side to side and that's only if they have non-directional tires on them. The M3 is the only 3'er to come with staggered wheels. My 335' koopay did not, but it has them now (same as an M3, I'm a poser).
[Aside to MK23; nice to see you in this forum, glad you made it out in one piece]

The wheels in the pic are stock, they're Winter only.

Last edited by DSXMachina; 03-26-2011 at 11:53 AM.
Old 03-26-2011, 12:05 PM
Non compos Mentos

While we're discussing jack stands I'd just add one reminder. If you use them make sure that you place them under the areas designed to take the weight. There is no frame under our cars. You have to find an area of the unibody which is strong enough to take a lot of load in a small area. Watch out for the car floor and avoid the pinch weld. Stay away from the suspension and steering bits too. Brake and fuel lines are a no-no as well. If you're unsure of what you are bracing against, don't do it.
I got a chuckle out of Emission's use of wheels/tires as emergency backup supports. I've been doing that for decades, it's the poor man's safety net. After all, they're always near at hand! Put one under each hub where they were removed. Yes, if the car slips you are going to need new wheels, but you won't need a new head!