Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Do-It-Yourself H.Q.

Do-It-Yourself H.Q.
Share your DIY projects or ask questions about how to fix something on your own. Help fellow Bimmerfest members improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Old 03-29-2003, 04:03 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via MSN to GimpyMcFarlan
Mein Auto: 2007 X3 Crimson/Beige
Cool XM Radio Installed - Many Pics

I know there have already been posts about this recently, but I just did mine today so I thought I would share my setup. This install is with the Pioneer GEX-FM903XM receiver, Terk XM3 antenna and Blitzsafe PIO DMX v.1 adapter in a MY03 BMW 330Ci w/ Nav. No CD changer exists.

The receiver and adapter are mounted on top of the DVD drive used by the Nav system by velcro. (Careful not to block the heat vents.) The CD Changer wires, cleverly hidden behind the Nav hardware, is connected to the Blitzsafe, then the wires from the adapter connect to the receiver.

The center baby seat anchor was removed temporarily and the antenna wires were run through the hole. The anchor was replaced and the antenna was placed in the center of the deck between the glass and anchor.

The extender wire for the XM headunit was run from the trunk into the cabin through an existing passage use by other wiring harnesses. The wire was then run down the driver side rear seat, across the front of the rear seats, then under the carpet to the center armrest. Then the headunit was positioned in the ashtray and its wire was run under the center console, past the shifter and connected to the receiver extender wire under the cupholders / armrest.

Turned the key to the accessory position and pressed the Mode button to select CDC (short for CD Changer I assume.) Turned on the XM receiver via the headunit and presto! Digital XM radio! There were 2 XM setup channels proadcasting info and a few other were enabled by default (even without activating the subscription) so I knew everything was working.

Now for some pics...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	xmradio1.jpg
Views:	553
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	9530  
Ads by Google
Old 03-29-2003, 04:04 PM

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	xmradio2.jpg
Views:	490
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	9531  
Old 03-29-2003, 04:04 PM

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	xmradio3.jpg
Views:	494
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	9532  
Old 03-29-2003, 04:05 PM

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	xmradio4.jpg
Views:	496
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	9533  
Old 03-29-2003, 04:06 PM

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	xmradio5.jpg
Views:	509
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	9534  
Old 03-29-2003, 04:07 PM

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	xmradio6.jpg
Views:	485
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	9535  
Old 03-29-2003, 04:07 PM

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	xmradio7.jpg
Views:	494
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	9536  
Old 03-29-2003, 10:19 PM
sometimes i wish for an x

Mein Auto: 2001 325i
that is a nice install...
Old 03-30-2003, 09:42 AM

Mein Auto: '08 535 6mt
Nice write up. I'll have to steal that trick of the antenna wire through the seat anchor when I install mine.
Old 03-31-2003, 03:54 PM

ObD,
Thanks! If you have a coupe with the split seats, be careful taking our the left shoulder cushion for the back seat. I actually damaged one of the plastic pieces used to attach it trying to get it out. Oops! :eeks: I could not figure out how to the black plastic cover used to hide the motor for the tilt out window.

Good luck!
Old 03-31-2003, 05:03 PM

Mein Auto: M3
antenna install

ok - you put the antenna exactly where i wanted to place it - i contacted the mfct. and they said not to place it inside - they claim that the car being metal will cause itto reject up to 90% (yes 90%) of the signal. please let me know your experience with reception as that big ugly antenna is what is stopping me from using xm or sirius right now. thanks
Old 03-31-2003, 05:21 PM

Mein Auto: '08 535 6mt
Quote:
Originally posted by GimpyMcFarlan
If you have a coupe with the split seats, be careful taking our the left shoulder cushion for the back seat.
Thanks for the info, I have the sedan with folding seats, so MMMV.
Old 03-31-2003, 07:12 PM
A sudden sense of liberty

Mein Auto: 535xiT, Golf R, 987S
Re: antenna install

Quote:
Originally posted by shep01
ok - you put the antenna exactly where i wanted to place it - i contacted the mfct. and they said not to place it inside - they claim that the car being metal will cause itto reject up to 90% (yes 90%) of the signal. please let me know your experience with reception as that big ugly antenna is what is stopping me from using xm or sirius right now. thanks
There are many people on the board that have installed their antennae on the package shelf without a problem, including TD whose antenna is actually inside the third brake light housing on his E36.

Mine is inside the car, too (at least with the top up) and my reception is fine, but my experience may not be representative since I have a convertible.
Old 03-31-2003, 07:12 PM

Re: antenna install

Quote:
Originally posted by shep01
i contacted the mfct. and they said not to place it inside - they claim that the car being metal will cause itto reject up to 90% (yes 90%) of the signal.
Hi Shep01,
The only problem I have with reception occurs first thing in the morning when the car is under my steel car port. As soon as I pull out it locks on several satellites right away. As long as you have a nice clear view of the sky, you should be good to go. There are several others on this board who have placed the antenna in the same position without any significant signal reduction.

What kind of setup are you going with?
Old 04-01-2003, 03:02 AM

What kind of setup are you going with?

i have an '03 M3 so i can do sirius w/o any modulator/adaptor - that seems to be the way to go since i am pre-wired. i had planned to remove the center baby teather on the parcel shelf and fabricate an aluminum plate to stick the antenna on(painted black of course) - i also figured with a clear view it would receive signal - thanks for the feedback! a metal plate attatched through the baby teather bolt-hole would be as well grounded as putting it on the roof, the metal would be under the antenna - basically replicating a roof mount. I can't see any downside to doing it this way.
Old 04-01-2003, 04:51 AM

Mein Auto: '02 M3 'Vert
I don't see any need for metal under the antenna. I had my XM antenna mounted on the rear shelf of my Passat for about 8 months... just loose and sliding around on the carpet. I had to move it back in position every so often, depending on how spirited my driving was. My reception was generally very good. Only when driving on roads with mountains right in the way of the sat signal did I have real problems... and that would probably have happened on the roof as well.

Now that I have my 330i, I mounted the antenna in place of the center tether anchor. Again, my reception was very good... even though it was "pulled back" so far from the glass.

The only problems I'm experiencing is now that I've tinted my windows. I had a Solar Guard True Gray tint put in place which I believe may have some metallic properties, because my signal will drop more often, especially when traveling east or west. It can be somewhat annoying. I didn't have this problem with my Passat and the Madico tint I used there, so I may have the back window re-tinted with a non-metallic film to correct the problem.

2002 M3 Convertible
2005 VW Passat 1.8T Wagon
Old 04-01-2003, 05:28 AM

tints(m)

that's good to think about! i am sure i have metalic in the tints - while it doesn't seem to affect the radar detector i guess it will affect the sat. reception - easy enough to change it out to non-metalic though - thanks for the heads up!