Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series / 2 Series > E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)

E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)
BMWs throw back to the iconic 2002, with a renewed form and function. The smallest car in BMW's line up but still packs a punch. Available in coupe or convertible, powered by either an inline 6 in the 128 or the twin turbo rocket sled 135.

Old 12-02-2007, 03:23 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: e90
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinBlank View Post
Along the lines of weight, I have a question about size...

I've been assuming that the 135 cabin is smaller than the 335 coupe. However, I was just browsing the official brochures for both cars, and the dimensions listed for each imply that the 135 has the larger back seat.

From the brochure, the end section with the dimensional schematic shows the backseat width and height for the 135 is 55.0 and 37.1 inches, respectively. The 335 lists 51.9 inches for back seat width and 36.8 inches for height.

Am I missing something? Or is it just how the backseat is packaged? Has anyone sat in the backseat of a 135 that could comment on roominess relative to the E92?

But who really cares about the back seat? Well, in addition to my spirited mountain road daily commute, I frequently find myself as the driver at lunch time for 3 of my colleagues, so it would be a minor perk to have a bigger cabin than the 335 coupe.
From what I have been reading the 135i isn't as small as people expected.

I had an E90 and no one could sit behind me. There were inches between the seat back and rear seat.

I now have an E60 and it still is too small. I still cannot have someone sit behind me, unless I move the seat up in an uncomfortable position.

People saying the 335i interior is much bigger than the 135i is on crack, period.
Old 12-02-2007, 03:52 PM

Mein Auto: '04 330i
1 series competes with entry level luxury cars, but it's also meant to keep some BMW fans in the fold, by giving them a smaller, more sporty car to buy. Forget the car itself, just look at how it's marketed.

i still think we'll see a sedan following, even if it's not til next model change.
Old 12-02-2007, 09:53 PM

Mein Auto: e90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg90 View Post
1 series competes with entry level luxury cars, but it's also meant to keep some BMW fans in the fold, by giving them a smaller, more sporty car to buy. Forget the car itself, just look at how it's marketed.

i still think we'll see a sedan following, even if it's not til next model change.
I agree, I also see them making a sedan, but like you said most likely not until next generation.

I think it all depends on how well the 1-series sells in the US, if there will even be a next-gen 1-series in the US.

Hopefully sales are good because I would like to see where the 1-series goes from here.
Old 12-02-2007, 10:34 PM
Not Wearing Pants

Mein Auto: Moped
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJetE90 View Post
Well over in Europe the A3 is a competitor to the 1-series, period.

Name a luxury US competitor to the 135i and don't say the EVO and STI (econoboxes, boy-racer).

Side note: Why don't you mention what Bimmer you drive, moped?
The A3 sold in the USA is not really the same as the A3s sold in Europe. No three door models here, no AWD with the 2.0T. Likewise, the 1 series sold in Europe - 5 door hatch with a wide array of engines - isn't sold in the USA. In America, the A3 is seen as an odd duck little station wagon. It's not - rightly so as the A3 is a lousy performer - seen as competition to anything sold by BMW.

I don't list my cars because I see no reason to. I had an e90 via ED and got rid of it within 1 year. Had an e46 too - much better car. I'm holding out hope for a 1 series sedan or wagon in the US and A.

Last edited by brkf; 12-02-2007 at 10:36 PM.
Old 12-02-2007, 11:54 PM

Mein Auto: Camero GT
If they release the 123d over hear, the 1 series will be a success, or greater of a success.