Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series

3 Series / 4 Series
The 3 Series / 4 Series Forum. If you would like to see all new posts in all the forums, click here.

Old 03-30-2003, 08:04 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '02 M3 'Vert
Angry Auto Climate Control + Defog Button = Melted Hair!?

Answer me this... (and yes, I did R the FM. It was FU.)

Normally I just leave the auto climate control on full auto with a temp set between 65 and 68. All is well until the weather gets crappy and the windows fog up. Every time I hit the defog button the fan goes to 100%, the air is directed to the window, and the air temp reaches the temperature of the surface of the sun!

Sure, this defogs the windows in about 15 seconds, but if I don't turn it off again in 30 seconds, my hair begins to melt. This is a PIA because 2 minutes later, the fog is back again.

Why does the climate control insist that the temp be full hot!?

Yesterday I was actually able to get the defog function to remain comfortable for the duration of the trip by selecting the defog button in conjunction with the AC button. The temp was good, and it kept the windows clear. This worked twice, but every other time I get full hot whether the AC button is on or not.

As an alternative, I can manually select the window vents without hitting the defog button, but this doesn't always do a good job of clearing the windows, and the rest of the car does not remain comfortable. I fear those summer raining nights when the windows fog, and the car will insist on blowing 200 degree air.

Other than this one issue, I have no other gripes about the auto climate control.

2002 M3 Convertible
2005 VW Passat 1.8T Wagon
Ads by Google
Old 03-30-2003, 08:08 PM
Traffic Surgeon

Mein Auto: 330i ZHP~89 325is~88 M6
Same thing happens to me. Passengers consistently ask WTF is up with the heat..? I just adjust as necessary, but it is irritating at times...
Old 03-30-2003, 09:13 PM
Into the dark ages

Mein Auto: Mystery MACHINE
simple solution to this...i'll swap you for my manual climate control

damn that stick is high compared to the ZHP.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	38943933tiijpj_ph.jpg
Views:	465
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	9645  
Old 03-30-2003, 09:33 PM

Mein Auto: 528i
Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisTO

UNfortunately, the manual unit won't properly "drive" the climate control system of a car originally equipped w/ auto-- I know becuase i've tried. Actually, the fan speed control works, but the vent selector knob doesn't and I never tried the temp knob. I think you have one of the best e46 interiors (black, manual climate control), btw!! It looks so pure, beautiful and well-consturcted.
Old 03-30-2003, 09:35 PM
-The Mouth-

Send a message via AIM to 3seriesbimmer
Mein Auto: 06 Saab 9-3 Aero
full heat full blast defrost drives me nuts too HOLY hot!!!
Old 03-31-2003, 01:21 AM
AWD? In California?

Mein Auto: 2001 330xi
It would seem to me that there is a lot of moisture in the E46's climate system. This explains both the fog phenomenon and the musty smell phenomenon (when starting a car that had previously been running with its A/C on). I just get into the habit of turning on the A/C with the defroster, cooling the air using the A/C condenser also very efficiently removes moisture, and you get a defogger that doesn't have to engulf the windshield in flames.
Old 03-31-2003, 04:23 AM

Mein Auto: '02 M3 'Vert
But are you using the defogger button in conjunction with the AC button? 9 times out of 10 when I do that, I still have the flame-thrower defogger. It doesn't seem to matter if the AC button is on or not. Like it ignores it and goes full heat regardless. Only twice has that given me a comfortable defogger when I hit the AC button.

I don't know if the times it has worked have been a fluke, or something is wrong with the system. But if everyone is complaining about the same thing, then either they are all defective, or it's just a bad design.

2002 M3 Convertible
2005 VW Passat 1.8T Wagon
Old 03-31-2003, 04:37 AM
In Mod Heaven

Mein Auto: 2002 330Ci
I have the same problem with my car. I never fully understood why the car needs to do this to defrost the windows. I get the same complaints from my passengers. What's even worse is that the dry hot air fuses my contacts to my eyes.

What I try to do now is use the AC button, manually select the upper vent, and turn the blower to high. This allows you to select the proper temp and it does a good job of clearing the windshield.

I only use the defroster up front when its really cold in the morning and I'm warming up the car while not being in it.
Old 03-31-2003, 04:38 AM
In Mod Heaven

Mein Auto: 2002 330Ci
Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisTO

Chris, you need to clean those floormats.
Old 03-31-2003, 05:26 AM

Mein Auto: 330ci
Passengers....You actually let people ride in your car...
Old 03-31-2003, 08:09 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 330CI
This is the single thing I hate on my car. The auto climate control is the worst climate control I've ever seen in any car. Particularly this defrost thing you mention and the fact that you manually have to select AC to get the temp to your desired temp. For an "auto" climate control you would think it would be auto! Makes no sense whatsoever and a manual climate control is much easier to use. If you use defrost it should direct air to the appropriate vents on the side and windshield, turn on the AC and leave the temp where you set it at... ARGGGHH
Old 03-31-2003, 08:24 AM
Color blind photographer

Mein Auto: 2010 X3 MT Space Gray
Quote:
Originally posted by OBS3SSION
But are you using the defogger button in conjunction with the AC button? 9 times out of 10 when I do that, I still have the flame-thrower defogger. It doesn't seem to matter if the AC button is on or not. Like it ignores it and goes full heat regardless. Only twice has that given me a comfortable defogger when I hit the AC button.

I don't know if the times it has worked have been a fluke, or something is wrong with the system. But if everyone is complaining about the same thing, then either they are all defective, or it's just a bad design.
If you leave the a/c on during times of fogging the normal "auto" settings "should" take care of the fogging without having to turn on the defog which blasts the heat. You may have to turn the temperature up a couple of degrees to compensate for the a/c being on but the a/c will usually take out the moisture.

After BMW learns what Acura did on the Navigation system they can look at the heating/ac.
Old 03-31-2003, 08:44 AM
Vegan, not Romulan

Send a message via ICQ to Pete Teoh Send a message via AIM to Pete Teoh Send a message via MSN to Pete Teoh Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Teoh
Mein Auto: ****
Re: Auto Climate Control + Defog Button = Melted Hair!?

Quote:
Sure, this defogs the windows in about 15 seconds, but if I don't turn it off again in 30 seconds, my hair begins to melt.
... maybe you need a better hairpiece...
Old 03-31-2003, 09:22 AM
A sudden sense of liberty

Mein Auto: 535xiT, Golf R, 987S
Quote:

Just select the top zone on the vent setting. This does the same thing as the defog button (throws air up onto the windshield) without the full heat feature. Hit the A/C button for more defogging capabilities.
Old 03-31-2003, 09:27 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 535xi MSport
Solution

Guys mine was fogging like crazy too and someone told me that fogging is caused partly because there is grime/dirt on the windows. I cleaned the inside of my windows (which looked clean to me but you'll be suprised) with windex thoroughly, and the problem has almost gone away.

Also, I just select the upper vents and have the A/C on and it goes away without all the hot air.
Old 03-31-2003, 10:28 AM
Revelation 10:7

Mein Auto: 2003 330i
In both my E46's, the 2002 and the 2003, I have never had this problem.

My windows do fog up, but I have never noticed that the Defog button causes a temperature increase.

Here is what I do. Under normal cold weather driving conditions I typically turn the heat on using the AUTO button. Temperature is set at around 28 Degrees C. Once the car is warmed up, I set the temp to 23 Degrees C, as this is comfortable. If the car begins to fog up, I hit the AC Button. This will typically dry the air and clear up the fog. If the fog is really bad, I turn the AC on and Hit the Defog button. This does send the Fan to High, but does not increase the temperature. Once the windows are clear, I hit the AUTO button again, but leave the AC on.

Aside from slight power loss, there is nothing wrong with running the AC while the Heat is on. Perhaps the temperature increases with the Defog button when the AC is not turned on before, in order to compensate.

I have heard numerous complaints about the Climate Control System in the E46, but I have yet to experience any problems with mine.

In Georgia, the climate is extremely Humid, so I tend to use the A/C year round. Perhaps this has something to do with how the system works.
Old 03-31-2003, 11:31 AM

Mein Auto: 330ci
My windows rarely fog up, unless of course I have a girl in there