Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Forced Induction

Forced Induction
Aftermarket superchargers & turbos as well as tuning for stock BMW turbos (N54 motor - 135i / 335i / 535i). Force-fed discussion to make your car go faster

Old 12-01-2007, 10:14 PM

Mein Auto: evo
turbo m3

to all the guys that got the HPF turbo kit, I just wanted to know how the cars R holding up to all that additional HP. Did anybody take them to the track yet?
Advertisement
Old 12-14-2007, 01:53 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E39 540i Sport
subscribed

Dirrezas (4) @ 275/35-18, Eibach springs & bars, Bilstein Sports, Dinan Stage 2, slotted ATEs, Hi-Temp HTP pads, SS Lines, UUC-SS, White/Tan, Bling-free & Stealthy
Old 12-16-2007, 05:28 PM
Past Sponsor

Mein Auto: 2002 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bannerrj View Post
to all the guys that got the HPF turbo kit, I just wanted to know how the cars R holding up to all that additional HP. Did anybody take them to the track yet?
I don't know if any of them are members of this forum. I will ask a few of them to reply over here.

Here are a bunch of our customer's M3 with our turbo kit. Click on each picture to see more pictures of their car and links to their posts, videos and kill stories...

Fabio....

Josh....

Raj....

Jim....

Alvin....

Tommy....

Kevin....

Robert....

Click on each picture to see more pictures of their car and links to their posts, videos and kill stories...[/QUOTE]
Old 12-16-2007, 06:34 PM

Mein Auto: Turbo E46 M3
Quote:
Hey there, Would Like to introduce myself. My Name is Fabio and I own the LSB M3 at the top of the list. Since 2 other guys with the kit have went to the drag strip(one guy ran a 11.4 @134MPH) I decided to bring mine to a auto X. It was my first time taking my e46 to a auto X so I let mt buddy drive. The car performed extremely we'll for a high HP turbo car. I had it on pump mode (417rwhp) for the event. The car has about 1300 miles since I put the turbo on and even my wife loves the way it drives. She couldn't even tell that a changed the clutch for the HPF one. I can't wait till the snow melts away so I can enjoy the car some more. If you click on the picture of my car posted by Chris, you can see the Video of my car at the Auto X.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	assas.JPG
Views:	197
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	130100  
Old 12-16-2007, 06:42 PM

Getting a tiny picture with no links for each of the lines above.

Dirrezas (4) @ 275/35-18, Eibach springs & bars, Bilstein Sports, Dinan Stage 2, slotted ATEs, Hi-Temp HTP pads, SS Lines, UUC-SS, White/Tan, Bling-free & Stealthy
Old 12-16-2007, 06:59 PM

Mein Auto: Turbo E46 M3
Try this then.

http://www.horsepowerfreaks.com/pictures/BMW/M3/7980
Old 12-16-2007, 07:08 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 M3 SMG
Quote:
Hey all, thought I'd share some comments as well. Mine is the Imola Red one (Raj), and I've been daily driving my HPF 750 Stg-II here in Minneapolis for about 2 weeks now. So far I've been thru the tank of race gas that was in the car, and am running 92 octane pump gas as I drive it to work, and weekends. Right now temps are ranging from -10F to about 25F, and in pump gas mode, I'm hititng 7 psi of boost.

Here some daily driving notes:

1. Starts and idles just as it was when stock.
2. Throttle and boost response is amazing.
3. Low boost 7 psi mode, the car runs quite strong
4. Full boost 12-13 psi on race fuel, wicked accleration.
5. Quality and setup, is really top notch. Everything from the tuning, to the construction of the components, and layout.
6. Power is addicting

Driving to work has taken a whole new dimension
-Raj
Old 12-16-2007, 07:24 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 HPF TURBO M3
Hey everone, i'm Rob. My car was dubbed the "evil twin" in the HPF shop because it's the same color as Chris' car. I've got a little over 4k on the kit now, and it hasn't skipped a beat. The car is the current E46 world record holder, running 11.41 @ 131 mph. The highest trap of the day was 133 mph. The HPF feramic clutch is also holding up very well, and I do not baby this car. It is a true daily driver, weather permitting of course. HPF prides themselves on tuning for drivability, and I don't think it could be any better. Here is a vid for anyone who hasn't seen it. The M5 in the vid wil have the HPF twin turbo installed hopefully by this summer. Note the tires coming loose on the race gas pull at about 70 mph!
Old 12-17-2007, 10:51 AM

Mein Auto: Bmw M3 Turbo
I'm in LOVE with my HPF turbo M3. The drivability, reliability, is just amazing. I'm a born horsepower fanatic and have gone through many cars. What I really like about the car besides the GOOOOBs of power is the quality. It maintains the solid feel of a European car and doesn't feel riced out. In pump gas mode you will take out a lot of cars out there. On pump gas, I was pretty much dead even with the saleen s281 extreme which is rated at 550hp. I rarely have to go into race mode, but its addicting. I'm lucky to have a gas station with 110 leaded race gas from a PUMP @ 5.89 a gallon, so I only run that. If you have the dinero, go with stage 2. It'll pay off trust me. Any other question, feel free to ask HPF turbo m3 owners or hpf themselves. They are extremely responsive and dont' feel like you are asking too many questions. They will answer it all.
Old 12-17-2007, 10:58 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the lead in leaded gas kill cats? (not the 4 legged kind)

Old 12-17-2007, 12:11 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 HPF TURBO M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by franka View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the lead in leaded gas kill cats? (not the 4 legged kind)
yes, lead kills cats.....if you're a decent shot! Jim's car still runs cats, which is why his maps are a little different. All the other HPF cars have had the cats removed.
Old 12-17-2007, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Twin Rob View Post
yes, lead kills cats.....if you're a decent shot! Jim's car still runs cats, which is why his maps are a little different. All the other HPF cars have had the cats removed.

I see. So its not exactly retaining all the pre-turbo features and capablities.

Old 12-17-2007, 05:54 PM

Mein Auto: E46 M3
Hello there, I'm Jim. I was the first one to get the HPF750 Kit. I had been researching for a F/I solution for about 8 months before I settled with HPF. I had contacted all of the current players like AA, VF, ESS, and Dinan. I came really close to buying the VF kit since they had a local VF rep. But I decided to wait until Bimmerfest. Once I meet the HPF crew and got a test ride, I was pretty much hooked. I have about 4K miles on the car and it runs great. I decided to get the cat option and run unleaded. I run VP109 unleaded which is the highest rated unleaded that I can buy here in AZ. I also have a special 97 pump mode, which gives me 500RWHP. Luckily there is a 101 octane gas pump nearby and that is my primary fuel. I only go into race fuel mode when I video races or enter Dyno contests. Although the race fuel mode only gives me an extra 50WHP, the extra boost and the torque provides an unbelievable rush. I am very tempted to get Stage 2 but I will probably hold off and see what Stage 3 offers.

Here is a YouTube link of me and my friends running a comparo between VF Eng S/C, HPF750, and a stock M3.

Old 12-17-2007, 06:01 PM

Mein Auto: E46 M3
I forgot to mention, I recently attended a Dyno event and my car made 570RWP and 500ft/lbs on a Mustang Dyno. My HP is low compared to the other kits since I have a Cat but look at that torque number . I think I currently have the baddest HPF Torque monster.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HPF TURBO E46 M3.JPG
Views:	197
Size:	114.9 KB
ID:	130202  
Old 12-17-2007, 06:23 PM

Mein Auto: 03 e46 M3
Well I guess its my turn now! l.o.l.
Unfortunately for me, I have only 1 day and about 100 miles on my car since getting it back from HPF.
BUT...I can honestly say the MOST exciting and fun day I've ever had in my car!

I left out of the country and we've had tons of either rain or snow ever since that 1 day.

The car ran incredibly and the quality and attention to detail in EVERY part of this Turbo kit is above and beyond anything else I've seen available.

I just cant wait til Spring gets here!!
Old 12-17-2007, 08:08 PM
Past Sponsor

Thanks guys! I appreciate you all posting over here. Bimmerfest doesn't get quite as much love in the FI section as it should.

Chris.
Old 12-18-2007, 01:24 AM
Gadget freak

Mein Auto: .02.330i.aw.
Just out of curiousity, Would it be best to have the turbo done on M3 than other e46 series? Would you recommend it on 330i?
Old 12-18-2007, 03:24 PM
Past Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggs View Post
Just out of curiousity, Would it be best to have the turbo done on M3 than other e46 series? Would you recommend it on 330i?
We will be developing a turbo kit for the 330i later in 2008. Right now there is no production turbo kit available for the 330i. Our M3 turbo system makes more power than our future 330i turbo system because the M3 has an iron block and a larger displacement.

Take care,
Chris.
Old 12-18-2007, 05:23 PM

[QUOTE=HPF Chris; Our M3 turbo system makes more power than our future 330i turbo system because the M3 has an iron block and a larger displacement.[/QUOTE]

What does an iron block have to do with making more hp or torque, or both?

Old 12-19-2007, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggs View Post
There is a great twin screw that is available for the 330. I'm not sure who makes it, maybe Active.

I know because I looked into it while I was considering buying a nice used 330 and slapping a twin screw on it for a daily driver.

A twin screw makes terrific torque in the lower rpm range where a daily driver operates. Ditto for a Roots style blower. Both will beat a turbo in this rpm range

A turbo is at it's best in the upper rpm range where it will out-perform the twin and the roots. But that is not where a daily driver operates.

Old 12-19-2007, 10:15 AM
Past Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by franka View Post
What does an iron block have to do with making more hp or torque, or both?
An iron block is stronger than an aluminum block and allows us to run more boost.

We just made 724rwhp with a T67 turbo on our customers E46 M3 with the stock 11.5:1 internals.

Here's a video of the dyno pulls.

Here's a link to the details... http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...40#post7093840

Old 12-19-2007, 10:29 AM

Aluminum block with steel liners or an aluminum block with a cylinder coating? Are you saying an aluminum block can not contain the pressure?

Old 12-22-2007, 05:33 PM

Mein Auto: evo
Thank for all the info guys How would you compare the turbo m3 on race gas to a equal amount of hp supra?
Old 12-23-2007, 10:23 AM
www.houseofboost.com

Send a message via AIM to spoolin spec v
Mein Auto: 2003 Nissan spec-v
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Twin Rob View Post
Hey everone, i'm Rob. My car was dubbed the "evil twin" in the HPF shop because it's the same color as Chris' car. I've got a little over 4k on the kit now, and it hasn't skipped a beat. The car is the current E46 world record holder, running 11.41 @ 131 mph. The highest trap of the day was 133 mph. The HPF feramic clutch is also holding up very well, and I do not baby this car. It is a true daily driver, weather permitting of course. HPF prides themselves on tuning for drivability, and I don't think it could be any better. Here is a vid for anyone who hasn't seen it. The M5 in the vid wil have the HPF twin turbo installed hopefully by this summer. Note the tires coming loose on the race gas pull at about 70 mph!

HPF the supra guys?

and 133mph trap on a daily driver car is movin out.

AEM EMS.....they've done studies you know, 60% of the time it works everytime.....
Old 12-23-2007, 10:23 AM
www.houseofboost.com

Send a message via AIM to spoolin spec v
Mein Auto: 2003 Nissan spec-v
also, what was your 60' and mph gained on the back half?

AEM EMS.....they've done studies you know, 60% of the time it works everytime.....