Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > European Delivery

European Delivery
The place to share your experiences and tips related to "ED"... View the ED Wiki -- View the Pick-Up Date Calendar -- Add Your Pick-Up Date to the Calendar

Old 12-02-2007, 09:05 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 92 Daihatsu / 08 E92 335
ED Report: 11/19-11/30 München / Rothenburg / Würzburg

Ok, finally have the pictures and some of the movies posted from the trip. LOTS of pictures from Würzburg (my family was stationed there from 1987-1995).

Pictures are here:
http://falcon.cscweb.net/germany/

Selected movies, at the risk of embarrassing myself:

Sasha coming back up to the „Premiumlounge" to deliver the car, and the vehicle delivery lift, etc:
http://falcon.cscweb.net/germany-mov.../MOV00999.html

My car on the turntable bit:
http://falcon.cscweb.net/germany-mov.../MOV01004.html

Driving out of the Welt (the "victory lap" I'd heard about from y'all):
http://falcon.cscweb.net/germany-mov.../MOV01030.html

NPR fans, rejoice - with the reduced staffing levels, AFN seems to broadcast a lot of NPR nowadays:
http://falcon.cscweb.net/germany-mov...m%20Radio.html

Residenz chapel choir (Würzburg):
http://falcon.cscweb.net/germany-mov.../MOV01152.html

One of the rare occasions when road conditions / speed limits / constructions zones allowed for 190km/h travel (this was near Frankfurt on the A3):
http://falcon.cscweb.net/germany-mov...20Airport.html

General gist of the trip - my girlfriend and I flew to Frankfurt on the 19th, arrived on the 20th, took the ICE 529 to Munich, U-6 to the Nordfriedhof, checked in at the Marriott (thanks to recommendations on here, Priceline, etc.), brief nap / shower, then over to the Welt for the factory tour (auf Deutsch) and a trip over to the very small Museum (pretty basic compared to Mercedes' offering in Stuttgart). Factory tour was incredible (no pictures allowed, sorry folks). Took the U-Bahn back to Marienplatz and walked around... found a place to eat down an alleyway, and ate dinner with Germans (NO tourists at this place, woohoo!).

Left for the Welt bright and early on the 21st, only to find the scheduled delivery time had been changed again back to the original time of 10:20AM. Harold did all the paperwork and invited us to have breakfast in the Premium Lounge, check e-mail, etc.. Did the car briefing and simulator with Sasha early, and were probably done by 10:20AM

The driving simulator feels a bit rigged if you've ever played Gran Turismo, but a reasonable attempt by BMW

The overall delivery experience was simply fantastic. Very well done.

Left Munich for Rothenburg ob der Tauber at about 2:30PM, lots of construction and 80-120 km/h speed zones the whole way, but a gentle re-introduction to the Autobahn

Walked around Rothenburg that evening and tried various hotels on for size - settled on the Gasthaus zur Schranne. Got a bit of curb rash driving around Rothenburg, a few angry drivers, and navigation data that was completely inaccurate (pedestrian-only areas, one way streets, "is this a priority road?", etc.).

Spent the day exploring the city on the 22nd (see pictures).

Checked into the Hotel zum Kirschbaum (Rottendorf) that evening, and picked up my Mom at the Würzburg Hauptbahnhof on the 23rd (my Dad's in Iraq - he was bummed he couldn't come, too). Explored Würzburg and the surrounding area again. We used to live in Eibelstadt and Lengfeld, FWIW. Giebelstadt Army Airfield and other familiar U.S. bases in the area are now closed, which is kinda sad.

Had our "Thanksgiving" dinner at the Waldhaus in Rottendorf on Sunday, the 25th. Headed back into Würzburg one more time on the 26th, then off to Frankfurt on the A3 to drop my girlfriend off at the airport (before my Mom and I continued on to Walldorf for coffee, a car wash and the drop-off at Harms).

Took a cab from Harms to the Walldorf Bahnhof, then the 5514 bus to Terminal 1 at FRA. Flew to England with my Mom for a few days to see family over there, visit my gramps in the home, and then back to FRA on Lufthansa (for my return flight home to Austin on AA).

Outside of medieval tourist towns , the Nav DVD I rented from Beewang was great - have never had a nav system before and was really impressed with the level of detail ("keep left in 100 feet", etc.).

Pictures, again, are here:
http://falcon.cscweb.net/germany/

(thanks to everyone on the forum for general useful information available before the trip!)

Ads by Google
Old 12-02-2007, 09:09 AM
3 pedals only!

Mein Auto: 2008 550i Carbon Black
You're victory lap is just the way I remember it, only colder.
2006 E83 X3, Silver Grey/Black, ED 15 May 2006. (retired)
2005 E46 330i, Jet Black/Black (retired)
2002 E46 325i, Electric Red/Black (retired)
Old 12-02-2007, 10:02 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 335d '10
AustinLonghorn,

Congrats on the car! Reading your thread brings back fond memories - I was stationed in Germany (1990-1993) as a helo driver. Although I was originally stationed in Frankfurt (Bonames) and later Wiesbaden AAF, our battalion hqs was at Giebelstadt (5-158 Avn Regt). It's sad to hear that they now have closed Giebelstadt!! Not much left anymore.

Question: How was the ICE from FRA - MUC? Were you able to get a good price? We're headed back for another ED next summer and have considered doing the train thing. Mother-in-law has never been to Deutschland and my father-in-law hasn't been there since '65 when he was stationed in Karlsruhe. Thus, we would like to show them as much as possible.

Please let me know.

Cheers,

Slug
1992-1993: 1979 528i (Bought, Driven, Sold in Deutschland)
Old 12-02-2007, 10:16 AM
Powder Days

Mein Auto: 2005 X3 2.5i (ED 2004)
Nice report. Thanks

"I never understood the dread term "terminal illness" until I saw Heathrow for myself." Dennis Hopper
Old 12-02-2007, 10:25 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 335d
Great report and thanks to your Dad for his service.

Colonel (Ret) US Army / Hagerstown, MD
1985 M635 Euro Alpine White/Pacific Blue (Fun Car)
2010 Z4 s30i Alpine White/Beige
(Road Trip Car)

2013 Audi A6 Ibis White/Nougat (Daily Driver)
2013 Audi A4(Ret)
2011 335d (Ret)
2009 335i vert (Ret)
2007 335i vert (Ret) ED 04-13-10
2000 740iL (Ret)
1998 328iC (Ret)
1990 535i (Ret)
1988 635CSi (Ret)
Old 12-02-2007, 02:07 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 325i
Sounds great, fellow Longhorn! Looking forward to my trip in 2 weeks!
Old 12-02-2007, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb99 View Post
Sounds great, fellow Longhorn! Looking forward to my trip in 2 weeks!
Yeah, I kinda forgot about the whole A&M game every morning when I started up the new Bimmer

(listened to the first half of the game on WOAI... went to bed after the fake field goal nonsense Franchione pulled).

Hook 'Em!!!

Old 12-02-2007, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slugdriver View Post
Congrats on the car! Reading your thread brings back fond memories - I was stationed in Germany (1990-1993) as a helo driver. Although I was originally stationed in Frankfurt (Bonames) and later Wiesbaden AAF, our battalion hqs was at Giebelstadt (5-158 Avn Regt). It's sad to hear that they now have closed Giebelstadt!! Not much left anymore.
Yeah, seems a bit of a waste of a massive runway / airfield complex. There were still signs for the German glider club out there, but the base looked pretty locked up to me. Looked like Rhein-Main AFB in Frankfurt was closed, too?!? (passed it when the Nav misdirected us to the cargo entrance)

My Dad worked with the 8/43 ADA folks at Gieb (he's GS, civilian prior enlisted).

Quote:
Question: How was the ICE from FRA - MUC? Were you able to get a good price? We're headed back for another ED next summer and have considered doing the train thing. Mother-in-law has never been to Deutschland and my father-in-law hasn't been there since '65 when he was stationed in Karlsruhe. Thus, we would like to show them as much as possible.
ICE was fantastic. We did the „Dauer-Spezial" on bahn.de, and got the tickets for about €30 each (about the same price as traveling to Würzburg full-fare, but going three times the distance ).

I flew Lufthansa from FRA to LHR (Heathrow), and it was a nightmare compared to the train. 20kg weight limit per person, two "take your shoes off" security checkpoints, late departure... I'm glad we didn't do the Lufthansa special from FRA to MUC. The Lufthansa flight to London cost me my German beer, because I was overweight by a few kilos (so the Lufthansa check-in girl went home with Paulaner, Bitburger and Würzburger Hofbräu Premium Pils, lol).

Train is definitely the way to go! (either way, your in-laws are going to enjoy the heck out of the trip!)

Old 12-02-2007, 07:13 PM
Driving 'en Plein Air'

Mein Auto: 435i vert ED July 2014
Great pictures... excellent videos. Thank you for making us a part of your ED experience.

Preparing for July 2014 ED campaign: 435i Cabrio M/Sport ~ with Mrs. Poc's blessings for some twisty roads
F33 435i M-Sport | Mineral Grey | Oyster/Black/Estoril | 441M 18" Wheels | Driver's Assistance | Premium | MDHP | M-Sport Brakes | MPPK for added weight | MPE to round it off

RETIRED: 2008 E92 335i Coupé
ED 2008: Click here to view ED report
PCD Re-Delivery: Click here for PCD Report
BMWCCA Nº. 383753
Old 12-02-2007, 07:54 PM

Mein Auto: Honda
Great pics...thanks for sharing!

MY ED TRIP REPORT
Old 12-02-2007, 08:23 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJAPoc View Post
Great pictures... excellent videos. Thank you for making us a part of your ED experience.
+1! Thank you for sharing - video and photo amazing.

'13 320i Alpine White/Black/AT
Old 12-03-2007, 02:49 AM
Oberbayer

Mein Auto: E65 - 750i
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinLonghorn View Post
a trip over to the very small Museum (pretty basic compared to Mercedes' offering in Stuttgart).
You know that this is only a provisional exhibition for the duration of the renovation of the "real" BMW-Museum?

It's beinig remodeled right now and it's supposed to open some day in spring 2008.
Old 12-03-2007, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfred G View Post
You know that this is only a provisional exhibition for the duration of the renovation of the "real" BMW-Museum?

It's beinig remodeled right now and it's supposed to open some day in spring 2008.
Yeah, that's a shame we didn't get to see the new museum... how did the "old" museum compare to the current temporary exhibit?

Old 12-03-2007, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB330 View Post
+1! Thank you for sharing - video and photo amazing.
Thanks! (pics are the combined output of our three cameras, in case y'all are wondering why there are so many of 'em)

Old 12-03-2007, 05:52 AM
Oberbayer

Quote:
Yeah, that's a shame we didn't get to see the new museum... how did the "old" museum compare to the current temporary exhibit?
I'd guess factor 10..
Old 12-03-2007, 07:50 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to guppyflyer
Mein Auto: ist verkauft!
Thanks for posting, the victory lap video was great! It totally reminded me of that giddy excitement driving the car for the first time. Rhein-Main is indeed closed now, all flying has moved to Ramstein. The base is going to become a new terminal for low-cost carriers (or that's what the plan was last I knew).

Erik
Our ED Report

Freude am Fliegen
Old 12-03-2007, 09:00 AM

Mein Auto: '08 328i
We had forgotten to bring our digital camera with movie capability for our ED pickup. Though we took many photos, watching your "victory lap" video really brought back our memories of the time and place. Thanks for posting!
Old 12-03-2007, 05:07 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 335d '10
Thanks for the info and the advice - we'll take the train into consideration then. Re: Rhein-Main AB, sure enough it's the "cargo" area of the FRA now. It too is a shame to see what has happened to it.

And that sucks about your beer!! The wife had the same misfortune with her brand new bottle of Shiseido (sp?) face cream flying out of Dulles, saving the TSA lady made her throw it in the rubbish. This was even after my wife pleaded her to take the bottle. LOL!
1992-1993: 1979 528i (Bought, Driven, Sold in Deutschland)
Old 12-03-2007, 06:06 PM
Beemin' in my Bimmer ;-)

Mein Auto: F30 335i MSpt- Mus GT 5.0
Here's another for the writeup, pics and vid. Nice work!

Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. Will Rogers

2013 335i M Sport- EBII / BLACK / Dk Walnut
Pkgs-Prem/ DHP/ Tech/ DA/DA+ Opts- 8Sprt AT/ Htd FS/ HK/ Hi Bm Asst/ 403 19" w/perf

ED#2-04/23/13-
Photos:
https://picasaweb.google.com/mdsbuc/...eat=directlink
ED#1-10/10/05-
Photos:
https://picasaweb.google.com/mdsbuc/...eat=directlink
Old 12-03-2007, 07:38 PM

Mein Auto: '14 435XI
Cool, victory lap

You have to be one of the first to post the victory lap. Excellent pics and video. I can't wait!!!
Old 12-03-2007, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the info and the advice - we'll take the train into consideration then. Re: Rhein-Main AB, sure enough it's the "cargo" area of the FRA now. It too is a shame to see what has happened to it.
Ok, that explains why we ended up at the old main gate after the Nav dropped us off at the "Cargo" area. Too bad it's closed - I remember we used to make the drive from Würzburg to Rhein Main because they had the "real" PX and Commissary

Quote:
And that sucks about your beer!! The wife had the same misfortune with her brand new bottle of Shiseido (sp?) face cream flying out of Dulles, saving the TSA lady made her throw it in the rubbish. This was even after my wife pleaded her to take the bottle. LOL!
Typical TSA, man. The Lufthansa girl gladly accepted the beer and hid it under the counter, faster than you could say Würzburger Hofbräu Premium Pils, lol.

Saw the E12 518 in your sig - my Dad had two of those when we lived there, a spray-painted-black one for spare parts, and a Navy blue one for driving (both were $500... true beater Bimmers ). Awesome.

Old 12-03-2007, 08:42 PM
Freude am Fahren

Mein Auto: Fünfer und Dreier
Quote:
Quote:
I'd guess factor 10..
Nein, nein, nein, Herr Nachbar. I would say 100. I loved the old Museum; visited it many times. The temporary exhibit by the Turm in Olydorf was just a Vorspeise. The new one will be 5x as large as the old one by the way.

F10 2014 535d M Sport Mondstein Metallic
F10 2012 ActiveHybrid 5 Azuritschwarz Metallic
MB 2011 E350 BlueTec
E70 2011 X5 xDrive35d*
E90 2010 335d*
E60 2008 550i*

E90 2006 330xi*
E90 2006 325i
E90 2006 330xi*
E39 2003 530i*
E46 2000 328Ci*
E36 1996 328iS*
E36 1992 325i*
E30 1991 318is*
E21 1982 320iS*
E21 1979 320 (6-Zyl)*
*retired
Old 12-03-2007, 11:40 PM
Oberbayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSpira View Post
Nein, nein, nein, Herr Nachbar. I would say 100. I loved the old Museum; visited it many times. The temporary exhibit by the Turm in Olydorf was just a Vorspeise. The new one will be 5x as large as the old one by the way.

Vielen Dank für die Information, Herr Spira!

Dann freuen wir uns auf das Hauptmenü im April 2008!

Last edited by Alfred G; 12-04-2007 at 01:05 AM.
Old 12-04-2007, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Vielen Dank für die Information, Herr Spira!
Dann freuen wir uns auf das Hauptmenü im April 2008!
Well maybe when BMW Motorrad starts doing European Delivery I'll get a chance to see the REAL museum, too

Old 12-04-2007, 07:04 AM
On the Road!

Mein Auto: 335 E90
That would be great to get a bike and a car on ED !

Thanks for the great photos and video. My ED is a long way off but I'm planning the ICE leg from Frankfurt as well. It will give us all a chance to relax a bit before we get to Munich. From what I can tell our ICE ticket prices will be a lot higher though, but I'll keep looking for specials.

So you have a bike? I ride a K1200RS now, check out twtex.com - I have the same handle there.

Dave.