Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 12-04-2007, 03:07 PM

Mein Auto: X5
X5 2007 Acceleration Hesitation

So yesterday i woke up very early. Took my BMW 2007 X5 to dealer since it hesitates on the acceleration. Got the X5 3 months ago, all was good until last month noticed a little delay when pushing the acceleration pedal. Also now my X5 is not quick, going up hills is very slow, picking up a highway is difficult.

My pedal just feel heavy. I mean if i really slam the acceleration it moves, but theres a 2 second delay. When im at the traffic lights, im the last one to get going, even cheaper cars pick speed quicker then i do.

First the dealer wouldnt belive me there was a problem. He just said thats how x5s behave. I just want my X5 to behanve the way it did on the first day i brought it. So i got one of the engineers to ride with me. He said he will do the tests and everything.

Left the car with the dealer all day.

Got a call from the dealer telling me the car was ready.

Picked it up in the evening.....

And they did NOTHING! !!!!!!! Just told me they did all the tests and could not find anything wrong with it. Thats bull****. Told me had all the last software.

He said i can speak to a BMW engineer that is going to come to the dealer and explain my problem.

Heres what the problem is.

1. Same as everybody elses
2. Off the line....it hesitates
3. The car is not qucik then before
4. Going up the hill is sluggish
5. When i push the pedal, the response is slow, and the speed increases slowly
6. To overtake a car in the faster lane would be tough.
7. Im having to work with the car harder to move it
8. At 80mph........it feels like its taking forever to getup to 90

Dealer told me car adapts to your driving habbits...thats bull****.....No car adapts unless it has aritificial intelligence built it.

I mean if my cousin was to drive the car....he would just think of the hestiation in acceleration as the x5 being just slow..... but i know how my car felt 2 months ago....acelleration was GREAT!!!!, moved and felt just like a car....

and NOW...... the it just feels heavy on the pedal. They did reset the modules. I guess it made a little improvement. But NO WAY NEAR the kind of car i had when i first purchased it.

I will keep everybody updated on my next meeting with the BMW engineer.

I suspect its the same problem seen on the x3.

Im sure nothing is going to be done about it unless there is a large group of consumers complaing.

Im intrested....how many others have this issue...is it just for only 2007 x5. only on 3.0si X5 (which i have) or also on the 4.8si.
Advertisement
Old 12-04-2007, 03:31 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 325i/X5 4.8
Quote:
Originally Posted by chirpate View Post
Dealer told me car adapts to your driving habbits...thats bull****.....No car adapts unless it has aritificial intelligence built it.
According to BMW your car should "adapt" to your driving style see: http://www.bmw.com/com/en/insights/t...anagement.html

I don't think you will get very far if you start by telling the engineer his is full of BS. I would say your best bet is to insist he drive the car with you in it. If he sees/feels the problem he will know it is real and that is the first step in getting something to happen.

of course, if he doesn't "feel it" when you do you're going to have a tough time.

I've been mulling over asking what kind of gas you are putting in the car. Does anyone know if the computer would have told the dealer service folks if it was "too low grade" or contaminated (ie water in the tank)?
Old 12-04-2007, 07:06 PM
OldHubbardRd

Mein Auto: 2008 X5
I'm having the same issue with my 2008 X5 3.0. I have 1300 miles on it. I have not told the dealer yet.
Old 12-04-2007, 07:23 PM

Mein Auto: X6M
I've noticed the delay with my '07 4.8i.

2014 BMW X6 ///M | SpaceGray/BlackPerforatedFullMerino/CarbonLeather
2014 BMW 328xi Touring M-Sport | GlacierSilver/BlackDakota/DarkBurlWalnut
2014 BMW X6 35i M-Perf | TitaniumSilver/BlackNappa/DarkBamboo [wife's ride]

BMW HISTORY | '13 650xiGC, '12 650xi, '11 535xi, '11 X6 50i, '09 750i, '09 328xiT, '08 650i, '07 750i, '07 X5 4.8i, '06 650i, '05 745i, '05 325xiT, '03 745i, '02 745i, '01 325Cic, '01 X5 4.4i, and on...
Old 12-04-2007, 07:27 PM

Mein Auto: Audi a4 quattro 6/MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldHubbardRd View Post
I'm having the same issue with my 2008 X5 3.0. I have 1300 miles on it. I have not told the dealer yet.
+1
Old 12-04-2007, 07:58 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X6M
Just a thought.....take your spare Key FOB and drive with that and see if it makes a difference. The different key FOB's are supposed to be programmed to different drivers and the info is stored in the two separate key FOB's. Can't hurt right?
Old 12-04-2007, 08:00 PM

Mein Auto: Audi a4 quattro 6/MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by denaliman View Post
Just a thought.....take your spare Key FOB and drive with that and see if it makes a difference. The different key FOB's are supposed to be programmed to different drivers and the info is stored in the two separate key FOB's. Can't hurt right?
ohhh, I'll try that tomorrow. The 2nd FOB has never been used. That would mean it hasn't "adapted" to my driving yet; right?
Old 12-04-2007, 09:02 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailinSand View Post
ohhh, I'll try that tomorrow. The 2nd FOB has never been used. That would mean it hasn't "adapted" to my driving yet; right?
This is my understanding from the dealer. Report back to us with your results.
Old 12-04-2007, 09:54 PM

Mein Auto: 99 528i, 97 M3, 07 X5
Another trick is to put the tranny into the sport or manual shift mode. See if the problem persists or if you feel any difference.
Phil 4:13

2000 Dodge 4X4 - Sanger Puller
97 M3
99 528i
2007 3.0 X5
Old 12-08-2007, 04:40 PM
Among the Proud

Mein Auto: X5 3.0si
I've test driven the 3.0 twice in the last 6 months... first time it was in manual steptronic the whole time, no lag issues, it felt great. This 2nd time (yesterday), it was left in full auto... I couldn't believe the acceleration lag. It's bad enough getting onto the highway, but to experience this at every stop sign/light of local driving... is annoying.

I don't know if it's the 'learning your driving technique' thing (again it's a test drive model) or if it's just like that because it's a 6-speed 3.0 with drive-by-wire technology. Why then, does everyone not see the same issue all the time I must ask...

And I'd like to know if this issue exists for the 4.8i.

Also would like to see more people say they DON'T have this acceleration issue... because who knows if you guys thought it was normal/acceptable. I drive a '95 SUV and the thing goes pretty instantly when you tap the pedal, probably because it was prior to this drive-by-wire stuff... newer owners may not know/recall the difference.

I'm going for another test drive (hopefully both models) on Monday and praying it was just that particular vehicle.

Last edited by rh71; 12-08-2007 at 04:47 PM.
Old 12-08-2007, 10:35 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 X5, 2006 530i
Is this the same transmission in the X3 - the GM unit from Belgium? One sales guy told me that it was different and I understood it is new at least for 2008.

Then:
'07 X5 3.0 Alpine, Tobacco, Dark Burl, Sport, Tech, Premium, Rear climate, 3d row seat, ipod & running boards.
'07 X3, Silver Gray, Gray, Gray Poplar, Auto (gone and forgotten)
'03 Z4, 2.5, M. Blue, Black, MT, Sport, Premium. (RIP)
'95 325i, E36, Blk, Blk, auto, premium
'89 325i, E30, 1st one, Platinum Bronze, Black leatherette, MT.
Old 12-13-2007, 09:30 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 X3
The 2007 X3 has a major problem with AT shifting and occasional delayed lack of throttle response. I am pretty sure that it is related to the DSC. If your X5 has an off switch like the X3, try turning DSC off and let us know if it improves.

However, it could also be that you have water in your fuel or otherwise have blocked the fuel filter. Try adding a bottle of gas dryer and/or Gumout.
Old 12-13-2007, 11:01 PM

Mein Auto: 99 528i, 97 M3, 07 X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by chirpate View Post
So yesterday i woke up very early. Took my BMW 2007 X5 to dealer since it hesitates on the acceleration. Got the X5 3 months ago, all was good until last month noticed a little delay when pushing the acceleration pedal. Also now my X5 is not quick, going up hills is very slow, picking up a highway is difficult.

My pedal just feel heavy. I mean if i really slam the acceleration it moves, but theres a 2 second delay. When im at the traffic lights, im the last one to get going, even cheaper cars pick speed quicker then i do.

First the dealer wouldnt belive me there was a problem. He just said thats how x5s behave. I just want my X5 to behanve the way it did on the first day i brought it. So i got one of the engineers to ride with me. He said he will do the tests and everything.

Left the car with the dealer all day.

Got a call from the dealer telling me the car was ready.

Picked it up in the evening.....

And they did NOTHING! !!!!!!! Just told me they did all the tests and could not find anything wrong with it. Thats bull****. Told me had all the last software.

He said i can speak to a BMW engineer that is going to come to the dealer and explain my problem.

Heres what the problem is.

1. Same as everybody elses
2. Off the line....it hesitates
3. The car is not qucik then before
4. Going up the hill is sluggish
5. When i push the pedal, the response is slow, and the speed increases slowly
6. To overtake a car in the faster lane would be tough.
7. Im having to work with the car harder to move it
8. At 80mph........it feels like its taking forever to getup to 90

I mean if my cousin was to drive the car....he would just think of the hestiation in acceleration as the x5 being just slow..... but i know how my car felt 2 months ago....acelleration was GREAT!!!!, moved and felt just like a car....

and NOW...... the it just feels heavy on the pedal. They did reset the modules. I guess it made a little improvement. But NO WAY NEAR the kind of car i had when i first purchased it.

I will keep everybody updated on my next meeting with the BMW engineer.

I suspect its the same problem seen on the x3.

Im sure nothing is going to be done about it unless there is a large group of consumers complaing.

Im intrested....how many others have this issue...is it just for only 2007 x5. only on 3.0si X5 (which i have) or also on the 4.8si.
Back to the original post.

To me, this thread is too subjective. The measure and of delay, acceleration, sluggish, and heavy pedal vary from person to person and make for a frustrating thread.

The best information available is the experience and history that YOU have with your X5. If you think performance has declined, continue working with your dealer. In my opinion, you should stay away from fuel additives.

I asked about how the X5 performs in either Sport or Normal mode. There is a difference in the shift programming. In normal mode, the transmission will shift at lower RPM than when in Sport mode. The shift speed is also faster in sport mode. Moving a 5k lb. vehicle with 260 HP isn't easy. Moving this amount of weight "quickly" is going to take RPMs. FWIW, I toggle between Sport and Normal mode all the time. I wouldn't characterize the acceleration as delayed or sluggish. It's a heavy vehicle.

One last test I can think of: Run your tank close to empty and fill up with 100 Octane (we call it racing fuel in Ca.) to see if the car picks up speed. This would eliminate engine knock and sensor picking it up. If the sensor detects knock, it retards timing to save your engine.

Good Luck.
Phil 4:13

2000 Dodge 4X4 - Sanger Puller
97 M3
99 528i
2007 3.0 X5
Old 12-14-2007, 11:50 AM

Mein Auto: X5, 325I
I also have an E46 (325i) and below is an answer for the question about adaptive drive and how to reset your "adaptive" drive for X5 owners:

Read below;

As what Kris said the adaptive drive "adapts" to your driving style and therefore shifts in accordance to the daily stop and go pattern you have. In my old X5, since I was exposed to a lot of the Beltway traffic, I end up getting the sluggish shifting in auto mode. It somewhat stays longer in lower gears and then jumps out as if there's a sudden boost. Overall it makes the car sluggish.

In order to reset this, we used to put the ignition key to position 2 (all accessories on except the engine) and floor our gas pedal and hold for 25 seconds (w/o the car running of course). This makes the adaptive drive return to its original factory settings. The result is much smoother shifting and added torque IMO. We've done it to our X5 and a lot of the new 5 and 7 series but I'm not really sure whether the same applies in our E46.

An added tip, my SA in BMW told me that you can also resett the throttle response by turning the key to position 2 for 10 seconds, turn it off for 10 seconds and start the car. I haven't tried it but a lot of my buddies in X5 world swears by it.

I've done it and it seems to work.... I have an 03' X5.
Old 12-14-2007, 12:23 PM
Among the Proud

Mein Auto: X5 3.0si
I haven't really looked at the E70 ignition area much... is there even an accessories / position 2? I just know you push the keyfob inward and that's all there was.
Old 01-07-2008, 12:32 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 X5 4.8
I just began (in the last month, I have a six-month-old 2007 X5 4.8) to see the acceleration decline in 2nd gear (automatic mode). Off the line, I still get tremendous acceleration, but in 2nd the acceleration declines so much I can redline the car (in automatic, mind you) before it finally picks up (around 40-55 mph is when it picks back up). Steptronic shifting does not reduce the decline in acceleration.

Not sure what the problem is, but am taking the car into the SA dealership (been told there is a one-month appointment wait-list, believe it or not). The car drives okay, I just have no power. That's not what I paid for, I guarantee you. A car this heavy, in which you have become used to the acceleration, is dangerous on the road when all of the sudden it stops working the way it has for six months.

I am going to give the 2nd FOB a shot tomorrow, and will report back.

Reln
Old 01-09-2008, 03:04 PM

Mein Auto: M3
We've got a 2007 3.0, and the transmission sucks. It never seems to be in the right gear and half the time, when starting from a stop, it gives a sharp clunk as my foot transitions from brake to accelerator. I've got a call into my SA to bring it in. I'm hoping they have a software update. Sport mode makes it worse, try to stop smoothly in sport mode and the transmission downshifts too much leading to engine brake. Other than that the car is great.
Old 01-09-2008, 03:22 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2014 Mazda3 GT
Geez, sounds like the problems some of the X3 owners are experiencing. WTF is up with BMW and this latest gearbox?!
Old 01-09-2008, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNMpower32 View Post
Geez, sounds like the problems some of the X3 owners are experiencing. WTF is up with BMW and this latest gearbox?!
I don't think it's a hardware problem, I think its a software problem.
Old 01-10-2008, 03:07 PM

Update:

2nd FOB was no different. Took car in a few days ago, and SA is advising they are having difficulty repeating the problem (not surprising, as leaving car alone a day would give me reprieve of the problem, only to return). I will say this, though: they loaned me an X3 3.0, and the acceleration is much better than my x5 4.8 in 2nd/3rd gear with the current problem.

Although I am educated in car repair, that was more of the old carburator type cars. I suspect, however, that there is a sensor in the transmission that is not functioning properly, or at best, intermittently.

Reln
Old 01-10-2008, 07:26 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2014 Mazda3 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relniius View Post
Update:

2nd FOB was no different. Took car in a few days ago, and SA is advising they are having difficulty repeating the problem (not surprising, as leaving car alone a day would give me reprieve of the problem, only to return). I will say this, though: they loaned me an X3 3.0, and the acceleration is much better than my x5 4.8 in 2nd/3rd gear with the current problem.

Although I am educated in car repair, that was more of the old carburator type cars. I suspect, however, that there is a sensor in the transmission that is not functioning properly, or at best, intermittently.

Reln
I'm glad to hear your loaner X3 did not have the hesistation problem that is causing a firestorm over on the X3 board.
Old 01-10-2008, 07:59 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 X5, 2006 530i
I am beginning to think that in the SAV world and based on this board that the auto trans is BMW's achilles heel. Too many software issues.

Then:
'07 X5 3.0 Alpine, Tobacco, Dark Burl, Sport, Tech, Premium, Rear climate, 3d row seat, ipod & running boards.
'07 X3, Silver Gray, Gray, Gray Poplar, Auto (gone and forgotten)
'03 Z4, 2.5, M. Blue, Black, MT, Sport, Premium. (RIP)
'95 325i, E36, Blk, Blk, auto, premium
'89 325i, E30, 1st one, Platinum Bronze, Black leatherette, MT.
Old 01-14-2008, 04:37 PM

UPDATE:

The SA could not replicate the problem(!), so I retrieved my car on Saturday (and the problem was indeed gone), but less than 8 hours later, it was back. The SA had asked me to bring it in if I could replicate it, so I did this morning, and took the technician out to show him.

Bad news was that I stumped him, as he indicated he had never seen this type of problem before, and was going to contact the manufacturer directly to see if it has happened anywhere else. He did state, though, that it could be a software problem, but at the least now they know I was not making it up. He noted that there was almost a complete drop off in acceleration in 2nd gear, and that it was sluggish in 1st (something I had not picked up on).

I hope it is merely software, but the earliest they could look at it would be Thursday, so more update later. Better yet, as I was driving away, and idling in traffic, the engine overheat warning light went off. It may have been due to the way we were pushing the engine during the test, but I am hopeful we're not opening a Pandora's box on this one.

Reln
Old 01-15-2008, 08:15 AM

Ever since I bitched here it seems to be acting ok. Although I will say I've been driving it like a Buick.
Old 01-16-2008, 04:36 PM

Mein Auto: 13 X5M, 96 993TT, 09 SL63
Hesitation/sluggishness and overheating....

Sounds like something to do with the ignition timing. All new electronic automatic trannies use ignition timing adjustment/retardation when shifting. Maybe, for some reason the ECU is retarding the timing and not returning to normal after shifting. .hence the sluggishness and eventually overheating (too much timing retardation will cause overheating) . . . . . .maybe somekind of tranny sensor/s issue?!?!?

Since your car overheated, I would try to read for stored codes as soon as possible.

HTH,
Awdnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relniius View Post
UPDATE:

The SA could not replicate the problem(!), so I retrieved my car on Saturday (and the problem was indeed gone), but less than 8 hours later, it was back. The SA had asked me to bring it in if I could replicate it, so I did this morning, and took the technician out to show him.

Bad news was that I stumped him, as he indicated he had never seen this type of problem before, and was going to contact the manufacturer directly to see if it has happened anywhere else. He did state, though, that it could be a software problem, but at the least now they know I was not making it up. He noted that there was almost a complete drop off in acceleration in 2nd gear, and that it was sluggish in 1st (something I had not picked up on).

I hope it is merely software, but the earliest they could look at it would be Thursday, so more update later. Better yet, as I was driving away, and idling in traffic, the engine overheat warning light went off. It may have been due to the way we were pushing the engine during the test, but I am hopeful we're not opening a Pandora's box on this one.

Reln