BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Driver's seat startes to burn

5K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  fmahjobi 
#1 ·
HI,

I have had my driver's seat catch on fire once and actually burn through the leather. The dealer in Darien, CT said it was replaced. I turned the seat heater on for this winter, Sunday, and while it did not burn through, it was smoldering and burning again on the inside. What is the chance of two defective seats or did the dealer service group just not replace the seat but told me and BMW that they did 9 I am NOT that heavy to compress the seat.

#3 ·
If you got an invoice that shows shop time for seat replacement then you got a new seat most likely as they bill BMWNA.

I suspect you got another seat that is defective. If they replace defective parts with new defective parts, than they are still defective.

They might have a new design out now that does not incinerate the driver. :angel:

#5 ·
Bring it back to the dealer and request they put in comfort seats. Just make sure they know that this is a serious issue and that it could have turned out much worse. GL :D

#6 ·
Stop smoking in the car!!

#7 ·
Hot Seat

Three years ago the seat of my 2004 525 started smoking, burned through the leather and through my jeans, leaving a blister. BMW told me they replaced the seat. YESTERDAY I smelled that horrible smell again, checked the seat, and before I knew it, my ribcage was getting scorched. Same problem, different place. I contacted my local dealer, and they told me BMW N.A. was willing to pay for 50% of the repairs. I stated that I was very disappointed and furthermore they have a defective and dangerous product for which they need to take responsibility. I asked the service manager to relay this for me and get back to me. He has never called back, but I have now contacted an attorney. This it outrageous that I could catch on fire TWICE while I am operating a large machine/missile at cruising speeds of 60 miles per hour. Startling to say the least, and terribly, terribly dangerous.

#10 ·
Happend today...11/22/10

This happened to me this morning, and I burned my hand. Called the dealer, and they want me to bring the car in, but are saying they had never heard of such a thing...I guess this NEVER has happened in MA :)

I hope I do not have to take legal action to have them repair my car. I have a half-dollar size hole in my seat...this is extremely dangerous, and it was very quite freighting.

#11 ·
Pants on fire!

They have had many incidents; in fact, these defective and dangerous seates were the subject of a recall. Don't let them tell you different. My attorney has researched it, and it is a serious problem. And you are right, it is frightening. Furthermore, you vehicle is virtually un-saleable because it is now a dangerous liability. BMW need to take full responsibility. This has happend to me 2x am I am now fearful that my vehicle may catch on fire at some point. And, what about the heated steering wheel? Are our hands going to get burned, too?

#12 ·
They have had many incidents; in fact, these defective and dangerous seates were the subject of a recall. Don't let them tell you different. My attorney has researched it, and it is a serious problem. And you are right, it is frightening. Furthermore, you vehicle is virtually un-saleable because it is now a dangerous liability. BMW need to take full responsibility. This has happend to me 2x am I am now fearful that my vehicle may catch on fire at some point. And, what about the heated steering wheel? Are our hands going to get burned, too?
Wow! Maybe. What if my heater gets too hot and roasts me inside my car?

#14 ·
Isn't it obvious? You have a hot ass. :rofl:

#16 ·
happened to me

I had the same thing happen to me

Thankfully it was literally 50 miles before my 100k warranty came about

Seat burnt through, and then burnt my suit jacket.

Dealer replaced seat heater and leather to the top of the seat and then paid me for a new set jacket--

Dealer is aware of this and it does happen quite frequently--

#17 ·
I have a 2004 745i. I noticed yesterday that the driver seat has a burnt section on my seat. You can actually see the image of the heating element burnt through the seat and that caused the leather to crack.

This is really disappointing from BMW, my car has only 70k on it. I used to have a 1994 740i which i think was a much better built car.

Is there a recall for this issue? And if so does it cover older model cars like mine 2004?

Thanks,
Farzad

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.