Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 03-29-2009, 03:24 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 - 318i
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkrug View Post
Try disconnecting the connection to the heater control valve ... See if you have heat then .You stated before the temp gauge was straight up and you could feel air blowing out the ducts...
Excuse me for late entry

My Heater does not work unless i pull the electrical connection from the water valve. I.E, there is constant power to the water valve keeping it closed.

Any clues on what is causing this - control module??.
Old 05-26-2009, 07:23 PM

Mein Auto: bmw
I just bought a bmw 325i 1992, and when i got the car the lower hose that connects to the hcv jus at the fire wall, came offf so I put glue and stuck it back on, I drained the system flushed it, check thermostat and waterpump, filled it back up, and the engine overheats with cold air comming out the vents in the car... hmm could that hvc be the problem??hmm
Old 04-01-2013, 12:50 AM

Mein Auto: 323
in my case : valve its ok , 12 v on the pins are fine but the valve dose not close .
allways heat . seems that thr ground that come from resistor its bad not strong enough
Old 04-01-2013, 05:09 AM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Send a message via ICQ to dc_wright
Mein Auto: '96 328iC, '04 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by bussinessacc View Post
in my case : valve its ok , 12 v on the pins are fine but the valve dose not close .
allways heat . seems that thr ground that come from resistor its bad not strong enough
12V should always be present at the valve. It's controlled by switching the ground connection on and off through the temperature controller. A common failure on the valves is failure of the seals which allows coolant to get into the electrical portion of the valve and rendering it inoperable.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:23 AM

Hi , i took off the valve and test it with diffrent 12v and its fine , my problem its that with the HCV connector pluged its not working but when i test the pins i have 12v in 1 and ground in pin 2 . I took diffrent body ground wire and its working . Witch component its controlling this HCV ? the resistor ?

thank you
Old 04-03-2013, 01:34 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Send a message via ICQ to dc_wright
Mein Auto: '96 328iC, '04 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by bussinessacc View Post
Hi , i took off the valve and test it with diffrent 12v and its fine , my problem its that with the HCV connector pluged its not working but when i test the pins i have 12v in 1 and ground in pin 2 . I took diffrent body ground wire and its working . Witch component its controlling this HCV ? the resistor ?

thank you
It's controlled by the temperature control unit inside the car. The unit where you set the fan speed and temperature.
Old 10-23-2013, 06:56 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 BMW 325xi
Problem: the ground in not working on the heater control valve so I am getting hot air on low temperature settings with the center vent on 3 dots. Could it be the hvac module?
Old 10-25-2013, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knopp113 View Post
Problem: the ground in not working on the heater control valve so I am getting hot air on low temperature settings with the center vent on 3 dots. Could it be the hvac module?
do you have automatic climate or manual ?

in my case the heater valve was ok , the ground its controled by a management module or manual switch in the console .