Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 12-24-2007, 06:46 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 335xi
328xi vs 335xi

I am in a kind of dilemma weather to order 328i or 335xi . I have few questions for the members of the board here:-
a) Will I notice a big difference in normal driving between the two .
b) weather to order sports package with 17" wheel for 328xi or 18" for 335 .
c) How hard is I drive to use , heard horror stories of how hard it is to use
d) Should I stick with basic options and forget nav as a option
e) How well is the weight distribution in i vs xi . Is i as good as xi with all season tires.

I live in NJ and I am afraid that I will bent the rims while driving over potholes we have here or I am better off with 17" all reason as they will be better for everyday driving .

Last edited by worldsmart02; 12-24-2007 at 06:53 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 12-24-2007, 07:51 PM

Mein Auto: E92 335i; 08 Toyota RAV4
Talking Relax, and get the 335 if you can afford it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldsmart02 View Post
I am in a kind of dilemma weather to order 328i or 335xi . I have few questions for the members of the board here:-
a) Will I notice a big difference in normal driving between the two .
b) weather to order sports package with 17" wheel for 328xi or 18" for 335 .
c) How hard is I drive to use , heard horror stories of how hard it is to use
d) Should I stick with basic options and forget nav as a option
e) How well is the weight distribution in i vs xi . Is i as good as xi with all season tires.

I live in NJ and I am afraid that I will bent the rims while driving over potholes we have here or I am better off with 17" all reason as they will be better for everyday driving .
I drive a whole bunch in NJ and some in NY too. I have 335 with 18". I have a separate set of 18" Blizzark winters on, haven't bent anything. With the Stock 18" sports rim and tire combination, haven't bent anything either. In NYC you have to be careful and watch the manholes even with 16" rims I have I-Drive, it aint bad.

328 vs 335? Are you kidding me, I have have a 330 too, and let me me just tell you other than looking alike, you just can't compare the two. Its like comparing a Forker executive jet to an F16 fighter jet. theres just isn't any fitting comparison. If you ever had an older 3 series, its more different than your older 3 was to its M3 brother. 335 is a rocket especially after you really get familiar with the car. My suggestion, go test drive them both. There really is not much to think about. Get 335 its an incredible deal everything considered.
Old 12-24-2007, 08:17 PM

Mein Auto: 07 A4 2.0T Q, 08 335xi
I would go with the 335xi. I like the additional power a lot. I test drove both and I was not thrilled with the 328. I am coming out of an A4 and the 328 did not seem like a big enough power increase to justify the switch. Now the 335 on the other hand was beyond perfect. I also went with the AWD because I prefer the handling of AWD over RWD. I have been in AWD drive car/trucks/SUVs for 5 years now and I don' think I will go back to RWD. with 300hp (and even more once I add the JB2), I want full grip all the time. But again this point is personal preference. Many will argue that AWD is not needed, etc. For me it is perfect, but for you, or someone else for that matter, it might not be ideal. I had to order mine to get the options I wanted. Should be taking delivery this Thursday or Friday; my car hit port this past Sunday. I can't wait. p.s. i went with the 18s.
Old 12-25-2007, 03:53 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 335XI Coupe
Can't say I test drove the 328Xi or a 335i for that matter, can only echo the kudos others have for the 335xi. To me everyting about the car is strong and balanced. Not a single issue (<2500 mi.).

Idrive, while it has it's issues, is pretty darn good overall. I've been pleasantly surprised. The combination of the ability to program functions on the 6 buttons under the radio and the two sterring wheel buttons also really helps. Besides, I rarely need to access the "settings" menu, where I think the menus can get a little intricate. Comm, Nav, Ent & Climate seem fairly easy. (I haven't had a huge need to us climate given the dials/buttons on the dash). As far as Nav. personal preference. I like the interated look feel. But BMW Nav is very average.
Old 12-25-2007, 05:11 PM

Does anyone know what are the best packages to get with this car , what to avoid (idrive). Where I can find out the best price I am expected to pay for 335xi . This will be my first bmw purchase and what to make this as smooth as possible.

Whats the suggestion here weather to get18" or 17" as I think 18" might get bent driving over the potholes. How is ride on runflat (is it a good idea to get them replaced with regular one's or no). I decided to get these options with 335xi
cold weather
premium
sports with 17" instead of 18"
dakota leather.
decided to skip nav as I can get garmin instead . Any comments on these packages will help. I would like to keep my budget under 45k if possible. I decided to skip nav as bimmer with nav doesn't hold their value as much after the years ?

Last edited by worldsmart02; 12-25-2007 at 05:54 PM.
Old 12-25-2007, 05:35 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: X3
iDrive is not as bad as the media makes it out to be. I (along with many others here) find it better than touchscreens. It allows you to adjust many vehicle functions and view information fairly easily. However, it is your call.........we can't make you order something you don't like. Just don't let the press make the decision for you.

The ride with runflats is just fine. We have a 325i sport, which has RFTs along with the sport suspension. I do not believe AWD models have sport suspension regardless of what package/options they order. The suspension in the 3-series was designed FOR the run-flats, since all 3-series worldwide come with RFTs. I just don't like how heavy the RFTs are or the fact they don't grip as well as a good normal tire.

Yes, there is a difference in acceleration and feel of the 328xi and 335xi. In my opinion, the 230hp version is "fast" and the 300hp version is "a bit unnecessary". Drive the 328xi first, and then try the 335xi. Decide if the extra power is necessary. Unlike other folks here who drive around in 335i's and powerslide around corners screaming "POWERRRRRRR!!" , I think the non-turbo version is just fine.
Old 12-25-2007, 05:57 PM
Banned

Mein Auto: Volvo S80, Honda Accord
Hmmm

328xi and 335xi are different in terms of needs of the consumer... So theres no need to compare the two... Read vase330 post it would really help you a lot.

Old 12-25-2007, 06:47 PM

Is it true that adding leather instead of leatherette increases the resale vale of the car in addition to all the other toys.
Old 12-25-2007, 06:59 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldsmart02 View Post
Is it true that adding leather instead of leatherette increases the resale vale of the car in addition to all the other toys.
Options don't really add resale value, and definately not leather v. leatherette. It is very difficult to tell the difference between the two, and the latter is much easier to take care of in the long term.
Old 12-26-2007, 12:20 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNMpower32 View Post
Options don't really add resale value, and definately not leather v. leatherette. It is very difficult to tell the difference between the two, and the latter is much easier to take care of in the long term.
I have do disagree on both points. Options do add to the resale value a percentage of the cost. That percentage will vary depending on the age of the car and the option. If you lease though the residual percentage is the same for options as it is for the car.

As for the leather v. leatherette, yes you really can tell the difference, or at least I can after a half hour or so. I would never buy a BMW without leather but I did rent a 328i yesterday and drove it about 160 miles. Being a rental, the car was pretty much devoid of options. I think the only option was the steptronic transmission. I missed the self dimming rearview mirror a bit (particularly as I had no idea how to operate the manual version) and heated seats, but what I most noticed was the slightly unpleasant feeling of sitting on vinyl seats. After a hours driving, the back of my shirt was damp with perspiration.

To answer the OP though, the 328 has ample power (at least for the New York metro area), the only things slowing me down were fear of a speeding ticket or accident. It's really a very good car though I am still not used to its looks. My wife thought it was an older BMW and she was surpised to hear that it was a 2007 (she drove various E46s for about 5 years).
Old 12-26-2007, 03:07 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Well, I should rephrase. Options do add to your overall resale value, but they take the biggest depreciation. Paying $2100 for sat nav isn't going to increase the car's resale by $2100 8 years down the road.
Old 12-27-2007, 06:34 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNMpower32 View Post
Well, I should rephrase. Options do add to your overall resale value, but they take the biggest depreciation. Paying $2100 for sat nav isn't going to increase the car's resale by $2100 8 years down the road.
True, it will be worth nothing by then but you will probably have gone through a few Garmins in that time frame.

I have never kept cars that long so not really an issue. Now I rent, I need to use a Garmin.
Old 01-07-2008, 11:27 PM
Advocate de diabolo

Mein Auto: 330xi '04, X5 35d '11
The 328 is sweet.