Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 06-25-2008, 06:58 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 540iA M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfalling View Post
This is what happens for me: If I start up my car and I immediately put it into gear and move it I am fine and the Check Engine light does not come on. In my case I am usually in the garage in the mornings so I get in and start her up, then immediately put it into Reverse and back out. As long as I don't let it sit right after starting it up the Check Engine light will not come on 95% of the time.
I have the same issue; and I use the same workaround. My Carsoft printout looks like this:

I cleared the DME/DDE memory and the check engine light went away.

Last edited by skola28; 06-25-2008 at 06:58 AM. Reason: typo on the quote tags
Old 10-14-2008, 12:26 PM
RickyT

Mein Auto: 1998 April made 528iSE
possibly crankshaft position sensor?

have had similar problems with intermittent misfire, noticed a small leak from thermostat housing straight on to sensor and code has diagnosed sensor so am replacing thermostat housing/gaskets and will see what happens (will clean up and/or replace sensor as well...)
Old 02-06-2009, 07:58 PM
14 Time Nat'l Champs

Mein Auto: 2000 323i
Anyone ever find a fix? Having the same issues..
Old 01-17-2012, 11:33 AM
KingLENOIR

Mein Auto: 2000 328 Ci
me too. I'm reading the exact same codes as the original poster
Old 01-17-2012, 01:19 PM
ROLL TIDE!

Mein Auto: 2004 ZHP Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenoir23 View Post
me too. I'm reading the exact same codes as the original poster
Simple. See below. Oh, and note, Mike Miller saying it was battery related just proves why he is over rated at best. see the below bold statements. Should remedy 90-100% of the issue. If the TB is really bad, it may need replacing as well as the ICV, but I suspect a good cleaning will do the trick. And I'd add new spark plugs as well. Make sure the old one's aren't coated in oil. If they are, you need a new CVV as well.

P0300 Cylinder misfire detected - Random cylinders
P0301 Cylinder misfire detected - Cylinder number 1
P0302 Cylinder misfire detected - Cylinder number 2
P0303 Cylinder misfire detected - Cylinder number 3
P0305 Cylinder misfire detected - Cylinder number 5
P0306 Cylinder misfire detected - Cylinder number 6
P1510 Idle Speed Control Valve Stuck remove and clean ICV (lubricate with seafoam deep creep
P1580 Throttle Valve Mechanically Stuck remove and clean throttle body same as above
P1188 Fuel control (Bank 1 Sensor 1)
P1189 Fuel control (Bank 2 Sensor 1)
P1397 Camshaft Position Sensor "B" Circuit (Bank 1) replace exhaust cam sensor

Check out my YouTube Channel for DIY's and other fun stuff HERE
Check out my BMWBLOG!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
now, go burn your Man Card, and buy yourself a Camry....

Last edited by smolck; 01-17-2012 at 01:20 PM.
Old 03-18-2012, 05:20 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 323i
For P1188 and P1189, (and/or other codes like P0170/P0173 or P0171/P0174, depending on your model) this simple broken hose fix may solve those codes. See this DIY:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=773551
Old 04-21-2012, 09:01 PM

Mein Auto: 325i 2002 bmw
my 2002 325i

It drives like a baby very fast but sometimes it shut off when i back up abd sometimes it idles rough do anybody know the problem
Old 04-23-2012, 05:08 AM
RayMondo

Mein Auto: 320i SE Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrspeed View Post
i'm experiencing the same cylindery #6 misfire on my 99 328i. I have taken it two to different shops. the first shop thinks is a computer problem and it needs an update or computer relearn program. the second shop believes that ther might be a nicked or bent valve in cylinder #6. I have replace cam sensors, vent valves , inspected vanos timing, coils, plugs, injectors and still cylinder #6 misfire. When hooked to the computer and the misfire happens.. hit delete fault code... and car runs smooth...drive it for a while comes back on again... reset it runs smooth... i'm fustrated and help would be appreciated.. thank you...
The fact that deleting the fault code erradicates the problem, albeit short term, would suggest a software issue. Question to answer: Is it an engine malfunction causing the fault code or is it the software creating a phantom error? How does the engine management system respond once the fault is recorded?
Old 10-05-2012, 07:48 AM

Mein Auto: e39 - 00 528i
Ccv ?

With so many posts -
I am surprised no one detailed the diagnosis of this repair -
I am sure people have corrected their problem, but have neglected to update with a result.

I am going to outline the process and the resulting final fix.

--
This is what is going on with my car.
00 528i - 135,000

First notice of a problem: I was receiving a random "check oil level" message on the display. I would check the oil and it was fine.

The other day, I pull a P1188 and P1189 and know that is typically a CVV issue on this model. It is typically either the return hose to the dipstick clogged or broken (at this point I can see oil on the upper pan - so I assume broken) or a clogged return vacuum line to the upper crankcase.

I take everything apart to access the lower oil return hose and find the broken return line just below the 90 degree connection to the nipple - the upper crankcase line is clear so I replace the oil return hose - clean the throttle body - replace the lower intake boot. I button it back up and get a ICV valve code.

I take everything apart again and clean the ICV valve. It was dirty and I should have done the job the first time but was running out of daylight so I reassembled without the cleaning. Doing this procedure, I cracked the upper intake hose at the point where the brake booster hose connects. After I cleaned the ICV, I have received no new ICV related codes.

I start the car - hit the gas and the throttle surges a bit harder than normal indicating a vac leak in the system. Once the car warms to standard operating temp, it starts throwing codes similar to the ones in this post.

In addition to the cracked upper intake hose at the brake booster connection - I am thinking that I have a cracked upper vac hose from the CVV to the crankcase. I haven't opened the top of the engine to fully investigate. Given the 135k on the clock, the system needs some care. Since the job is more involved than a ICV or TB, I have ordered a CVV kit including the unit and all of the hoses and will replace. Once that is done, I will update.

These are the codes I pulled this morning after a 5 mile run to work -
P0302 Cylinder 2 Misfire Detected
P0303 Cylinder 3 Misfire Detected
P1188 Fuel Control (Bank 1 Sensor 1)
P1189 Fuel Control (Bank 2 Sensor 1
P0301 Cylinder 1 Misfire Detected
P0150 Sensor Circuit Malfunction (Bank 2 Sensor 1)
P0130 O2 Sensor Circuit Malfunction (Bank 1 Sensor 1)
P0305 Cylinder 5 Misfire Detected

Based on my research, I estimate the CVV is clogged (which likely happened after I replaced the drain hose to the dipstick resulting in a slight pressure change within the CVV) - this is filling the cylinders with an excess of oil causing a misfire on multiple cylinders - the misfires only occur when the car is at idle (at a light) - there is it not much oil pooling in the cylinder at this point as it can be cleared by turning off the engine and restarting (when restarted, the engine will blow out the excess oil resulting in the car running properly for a time)

Today - I am going to try disconnecting the return line at the dipstick and see if that corrects the situation as it will change the vacuum pressure in the CVV back to the level prior to the original repair. I am also going to replace the upper intake boot.

Update - I disconnected the CVV drain hose and drove - the fuel trim codes emerged (P1188 - P1189 - P0130 - P0150), but not the misfires. I stopped the car, took out a long section of hose and connected it to the dipstick nipple and blew out an obstruction. I blew into the hose until I heard the gurgling sound of air passing through oil. Apparently, a carbon deposit had stopped up the flow of oil and it was backing up into the CVV and overflowing into the cylinders. Test drive - clean codes although the idle is still slightly rough.

Update - After driving 20 miles the misfires have resurfaced - while driving - I reset the codes and the misfires disappeared - The misfires must have something to do with the adaptation set by the computer to compensate for the vacuum leak or stuck CVV - I received the "check oil level" message again - I pulled the oil drain hose at the dipstick again and have left it open - current codes - fuel trim - P1188 - P1189 - P0150 - P0130 - no misfires yet - update to follow

Resolution - The parts came in the mail - I replaced the CVV and all related hoses - All is well and working properly - no codes - no jumping throttle - The small vac hose from the CVV to the top rail was broken at the CVV nipple. The only way to see it was to remove the throttle body. You may want to pick up a length of vac hose prior to starting the job. The hose was mushy all along the length and needed to be replaced. Be sure to clean everything while you have it apart. This is was a 3 hour job for me (including the 30 minutes to go to the store for the small vac hose). I thought it would take about an hour but I had a hard time with the CVV hoses - removing and connecting was a learning experience - it was easiest to break the hoses to remove and reinstall the hoses prior to securing the CVV with the torx screws - I suggest the following to save time during installation - I ended up installing the upper hose off the car and threading it up into place - then threaded the lower hose down and attached it to the CVV in place - I then started the torx screws and attached the lower oil drain hose - once everything was attached, I tightened the two torx screws and installed the small vac hose and attached all hoses during installation of the various items - Another time savings learned was to connect the lower intake boot to the ICV prior to installing on the throttle body. Here is the DIY - http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=417819

Last edited by customclothiers; 10-08-2012 at 07:09 AM. Reason: update progress of diagnosis
Old 10-05-2012, 07:59 AM
ROLL TIDE!

Mein Auto: 2004 ZHP Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by customclothiers View Post
With so many posts -
I am surprised no one detailed this repair -
Are you talking about the ICV DIY? There are a million. Are you talking about the CVV? We have more than 3 DIY's for that (and I did videos). Not sure what you mean, but it sounds like you have it under control. CVV is one of those over engineered German things I can't stand.

Check out my YouTube Channel for DIY's and other fun stuff HERE
Check out my BMWBLOG!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
now, go burn your Man Card, and buy yourself a Camry....
Old 10-05-2012, 08:52 AM

Mein Auto: e39 - 00 528i
Cvv

yes - CVV - crank case vent valve - It is interesting = my 81 alfa spider uses a similar device to the BMW. - I am also originally from Birmingham as is this car. I am just outlining my process to troubleshoot the codes. It seems the codes lead people down the wrong path and cause too much confusion. The mechanical process of doing the work isn't the issue. It's the process of figuring out the cause for the codes that I thought would be helpful.
Old 02-08-2014, 11:52 AM

Mein Auto: 1997 528i
I had this problem on my 01 525i it was the intake manifold runner control valve. It was a bad diaphragm in the pressure pot on the valve. I had intermittent rough idle an rough running. It threw misfire codes on various cylinders, o2 sensor codes an catalytic converter codes. if you spend 48.00 on your local bmw club parts might be as cheap as internet. I saved 200.00 on valve. Esy replacement.I current have the same issues on my 97 528i suspecting same issue. T check pull valve twist butterfly an place finger over hole in pressure pot. release butterfly if it moves more than a little 1/8 in or so its bad. replace it. There is a thread on this in this site.
Old 02-08-2014, 11:55 AM

I guess I should have said spend 48.00 to join your local bmw club (1year membership) you will get good discounts on parts depending on how strong your club is in your area.
Old 02-08-2014, 11:58 AM

You might want to replace ccv anyway it could be the problem as well as fuel filter. My 97 filter is 28.00 the 01 525i was 125.00 because it had the fuel pressure regulator built in to filter. The ccv was about 125.0 for hoses an valve from bmw dealer with club discount. Wasn't muvh more than aftermarket on web.
Old 02-08-2014, 12:00 PM

None of these jobs are that complicated. ccv was a little pain to get to but not bad. there are threads for all these task.
Old 02-08-2014, 12:04 PM

That intake manifold control valve is called the DISA valve.
Old 02-08-2014, 12:06 PM
Device Under Test

Mein Auto: '04 325xi
You do know you're weighing in on a thread that was started 6 years ago and hasn't been touched in over a year, right?

Enough miles to make it to the moon... Here's to getting home.
Old 02-08-2014, 04:17 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: ist schnell! (03 330i SC)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siskin View Post
You do know you're weighing in on a thread that was started 6 years ago and hasn't been touched in over a year, right?
Five times......
DIY On deck: Rear Diff bushing. UUC SSK, clutch job eventually, Wavetrac LSD
Old 02-08-2014, 05:22 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 325xi
ICV fixed mine

One day about a month ago, I was sitting at a red light an the I had and extremely rough idle. I thought maybe it was a engine mount or something. i Listen to the engine and there was a clicking and hissing along with the rough idle. I took it to the indy and I said I think it was the ICV, they read the codes and that was it.

Both axles on the plastic paddle were broken.