Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Forced Induction

Forced Induction
Aftermarket superchargers & turbos as well as tuning for stock BMW turbos (N54 motor - 135i / 335i / 535i). Force-fed discussion to make your car go faster

Old 01-04-2008, 11:26 PM
'Fest Sponsor

Mein Auto: Turbo BMWs
Hit 400rw with the JB!

Hey gang,

For kicks I decided to throw a dual cone air filter setup on the car to see what it would do. In the process I might have set a 335i record for the most power for the least dollars spent.

Here is the mod sheet:
JB2HR: $499
UR DP: $550
Cone air filters: $80
Total: $1129

Everything else on the car including catback, 2nd cats, resonator, diverter valves, etc is all stock. Only other mod is K1 rims w/ drag radials @ 28psi tire pressure. The car doesn't even have the golf tee mod.

The car is using the factory boost control system with one solenoid bypassed, and boost was very steady across the board with a light roll off to redline. No spikes, camel bumps, boost bombs, or surprises.

Also before I post the graphs I do not suggest people push their cars this far, at 15psi+ boost, even on race gas, bad things can happen. It's not good for the long term. But it does make for a dyno day!

Runs 16 & 17 are the normal JB2HR with the new air intake. Power jumped up to 392rwhp/432rwtq! Boost spiked to 15.5psi and held around 14.

Then for runs 18 & 19 I decided to throw in a second hot pill (not suggested!), and power jumped up to 402rwhp/453rwtq!!!
Boost spiked to 16.5psi and held around 15.

Ambient temp was 65 degrees and the correction factor was 2%.

BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
Advertisement
Old 01-05-2008, 08:31 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 BMW 535i Jet Black
A second Hot Pill

Terry,

Where did you place the second Hot Pill? Those numbers are really sick brother. I have been running around town with my 535i with JBS2HR and its awesome but I am still thirsty for more power. On my last Dyno I put up 335 rwhp and 375 lbs. of torque. I see you putting up theses numbers which I can't fathom. When the guys at BMW read about this stuff they must just love it. Great work.
Old 01-06-2008, 12:19 AM
'Fest Sponsor

Thanks!! I can't say I would suggest a second hot pill. Your next mod needs to be Ultimate catless downpipes, and maybe a high flow catback.
BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
Old 01-06-2008, 10:29 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS View Post
Thanks!! I can't say I would suggest a second hot pill. Your next mod needs to be Ultimate catless downpipes, and maybe a high flow catback.
I'm all for performance but I don't understand going catless. Why not high flow cats? Doesn't anyone care about emissions?
Old 01-06-2008, 10:33 AM
'Fest Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by reb03 View Post
I'm all for performance but I don't understand going catless. Why not high flow cats? Doesn't anyone care about emissions?
Most of us remove the rear cats without giving it a second thought, but the performance is better if you remove the front cats and leave the rear cats. I don't suggest completely catless as aside from environmental concerns you'll get some odor.

But to answer your question many don't care about emissions.
Old 03-16-2008, 11:08 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 335is
nice.... I'll go so far as to say I hate emissions.
Old 03-20-2008, 04:37 AM

Mein Auto: Take a Guess..
Amazing! This makes me even more anxiouse to get a 335i! I think all of this came way to fast, a couple years ago I would have never thought BMW was going to mass produce a twin turbo straight six that dynos at over 400rwhp on bolt ons! Maybe its just me, but like I said, it came outa nowhere IMO.

But its a good thing of course
Old 03-31-2008, 01:00 AM

Mein Auto: E92
This is nice to hear! I have the Riss Racing downpipes and JB2H...I wonder if I am close to 400hp. I probably need the R switch.
Old 03-31-2008, 11:47 AM

Hey Terry.... how much farther do you think you can push the stock turbos? Do you think your getting well beyond there point of efficiency yet? Can they keep up on top at all for you anymore?

Also curious. How's the fuel system? Are you nearing the max out point of the injectors yet? How much room is left before you'll need to upgrade, injectors, pump, rails, other components to continue making more power?

Just curious....
ED 5/9/2008 335i Graphite Metallic
Old 04-03-2008, 06:38 PM
'Fest Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustGoFast View Post
Hey Terry.... how much farther do you think you can push the stock turbos? Do you think your getting well beyond there point of efficiency yet? Can they keep up on top at all for you anymore?

Also curious. How's the fuel system? Are you nearing the max out point of the injectors yet? How much room is left before you'll need to upgrade, injectors, pump, rails, other components to continue making more power?

Just curious....
It's all pretty maxed out at this point. I can bump the boost up and make make a little more dyno glory power, but 400rw is the limits IMHO.
Old 04-04-2008, 07:08 AM

so are you ready to go to a bigger set of turbos... maybe a couple garretts and see what those stock internals can hold... or are you going to open up the block and beef it up... or are you just done pushing?
ED 5/9/2008 335i Graphite Metallic
Old 04-06-2008, 11:42 PM

Mein Auto: E92
What is the difference between using 2 hot pills and having the X upgrade? It seems like they both raise the boost about the same amount.
Old 04-10-2008, 05:45 PM
'Fest Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustGoFast View Post
so are you ready to go to a bigger set of turbos... maybe a couple garretts and see what those stock internals can hold... or are you going to open up the block and beef it up... or are you just done pushing?
Pretty much done! It's fast enough for me.
Old 04-10-2008, 05:46 PM
'Fest Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Level View Post
What is the difference between using 2 hot pills and having the X upgrade? It seems like they both raise the boost about the same amount.
No difference. Except you can turn up and down the X from the glovebox or under the hood without opening the ECU up. Some people find they can run 50-75% in the winter and just turn it down during the summer.
Old 05-30-2008, 11:18 AM
'Fest Sponsor

Just realized the dyno chart isn't here, lol!

http://www.burgertuning.com/products.html
Old 06-01-2008, 08:42 PM

Mein Auto: 09 WRX HATCHBACK
what are the times here?
Old 06-03-2008, 03:59 PM
'Fest Sponsor

It ran 'OK'

Old 06-04-2008, 12:05 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 335i
amazing

Well done Terry.
Old 06-05-2008, 11:32 PM

Mein Auto: Evo IX SE
thats awesome... very tempting price for 400rw...
Old 11-09-2008, 08:53 AM
Call Ivan @ 973-780-9541

Send a message via AIM to BMWofBloomfield
Mein Auto: Z4MC/540i/Boxster/Supra
Wow, under 12 seconds in the 1/4 for under $2K I have 1997 Boxster that cost over $15K to get it in the mid 13's from the stock 14.9 It could go faster by raising the boost up from 6 lbs but, who wants to buy a new Porsche engine Great job Terry

Ivan Romero
Business Manager
BMW of Bloomfield
973-780-9541
iromero@bmwofbloomfield.com
www.bmwofbloomfield.com

Last edited by BMWofBloomfield; 11-09-2008 at 09:00 AM.
Old 01-02-2009, 01:31 PM
'Fest Sponsor

We've gotten our 2008 135i up to 423hp at the wheels. 11.8 and 120mph drag times!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	JB3_135i.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	108.4 KB
ID:	170756  
Old 01-02-2009, 01:46 PM
Yes, please!

Mein Auto: 318ti Clubsport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Burger View Post
We've gotten our 2008 135i up to 423hp at the wheels. 11.8 and 120mph drag times!
Any mods to the transmission necessary? If not yet, when?
Old 01-07-2009, 08:21 PM
(occasionally in crises)

Mein Auto: e93, e36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Burger View Post
hey terry,

i have not been on this forum in months, and i see you here!!

Last edited by midlife; 01-07-2009 at 08:29 PM.
Old 01-10-2009, 05:20 PM

Mein Auto: Depends of the day
Keep the action going, nice job, congrats
The point of owning a BMW - the reason people pay the tariff and put up with the theft risk - is that they're marvelous driving machines. Plenty of vehicles offer high-quality transportation and driving pleasure for less money, but they don't feel like a BMW.