Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Car Navigation, Audio & Electronics sponsored by BimmerTech

Car Navigation, Audio & Electronics sponsored by BimmerTech
BMW navigation, audio upgrades, XM Radio, Sirius, Bluetooth, and Radar Detector discussions here!

Sponsored by BimmerTech

Old 02-05-2008, 02:42 PM
european auto source

Mein Auto: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck View Post
Does a DSP adapter have to be used with the radio install kit? Is there any difference in sound quality between the radio and trunk install kits?
You cannot use a radio interface kit if equipped with DSP.

The difference in the kits is merely installation preference, features and audio quality is exactly the same between the radio and trunk interface kits.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG FACEBOOK YOUTUBE FLICKR INSTAGRAM
Old 02-05-2008, 04:53 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 330i w/ SportPackage
Hi Tom,
I just got my new Silverline kit with trunk interface yesterday (got as replacement directly from DICE) and completed the install. This is my third exchange from my original DICE purchase (due to ticking noise problems), and was very very excited about this new Silverline, and very hopeful of finally getting pure noise-free music.

Unfortunately I'm still getting the ticking noises..., especially when the text scrolls across the display. Like I said, I have it connected at the trunk interface. Question: do you think if I instead connected at the radio head unit this problem would be solved?? would it help? I talked with Adam at DICE customer support and he said DICE does not make the radio interface connection cable for the 3-series, but that EAS does have a connector available. Can you help me out??

Would also appreciate a link on how to do the DIY install at the radio head unit too. Thanks so much in advance. BTW, really appreciate your customer service on this site, which is one of the best I've seen on the internet.
Old 02-05-2008, 04:57 PM
european auto source

Quote:
Originally Posted by patdosa View Post
Hi Tom,
I just got my new Silverline kit with trunk interface yesterday (got as replacement directly from DICE) and completed the install. This is my third exchange from my original DICE purchase (due to ticking noise problems), and was very very excited about this new Silverline, and very hopeful of finally getting pure noise-free music.

Unfortunately I'm still getting the ticking noises..., especially when the text scrolls across the display. Like I said, I have it connected at the trunk interface. Question: do you think if I instead connected at the radio head unit this problem would be solved?? would it help? I talked with Adam at DICE customer support and he said DICE does not make the radio interface connection cable for the 3-series, but that EAS does have a connector available. Can you help me out??

Would also appreciate a link on how to do the DIY install at the radio head unit too. Thanks so much in advance. BTW, really appreciate your customer service on this site, which is one of the best I've seen on the internet.
Here's the radio interface Adam's referring to:

Radio Connect harness for DICE iPod Kit (R17)
http://www.europeanautosource.com/pr...roducts_id=664

The shorter cable length would be optimal if your BMW is extra sensitive.

Old 02-05-2008, 05:17 PM

Thanks Tom,
Since I just got my Silverline kit and it didn't work out, would it be possible to exchange my trunk harness/cable for that radio interface cable through you guys at EAS?
Old 02-05-2008, 05:23 PM
european auto source

Quote:
Thanks Tom,
Since I just got my Silverline kit and it didn't work out, would it be possible to exchange my trunk harness/cable for that radio interface cable through you guys at EAS?
Not a problem, send me your full name via email and I'll make the necessary arrangements on my end.

Old 02-05-2008, 05:27 PM

Tom, I'll email you right now. And thanks!! I'll ship out the trunk harness tomorrow. Can you confirm your shipping address?
Old 02-05-2008, 05:32 PM
european auto source

Quote:
Tom, I'll email you right now. And thanks!! I'll ship out the trunk harness tomorrow. Can you confirm your shipping address?
I'll confirm it with return instructions once I receive your email.

Old 02-06-2008, 06:02 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 X3
Got Silverline yesterday to replace the original module, its working great
Old 02-06-2008, 06:03 PM

Hi Tom,
I sent you the email you requested yesterday with my info, but haven't heard from you yet. wondering if you received it? I sent it to you at tom@europeanautosource.com Let me know. Thanks.
Old 02-06-2008, 06:39 PM
european auto source

Quote:
Hi Tom,
I sent you the email you requested yesterday with my info, but haven't heard from you yet. wondering if you received it? I sent it to you at tom@europeanautosource.com Let me know. Thanks.
I was away from my desk most of the day, I'll get to it shortly.

Old 02-07-2008, 02:20 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 320d Touring
Quote:
Originally Posted by costyn View Post
I have the following problem with my iphone (v1.1.2) in in combination with the silverline kit: whenever I connect it, it will start playing music as it should, but the iphone is set on 'repeat 1'. I have to disable it by pressing a button on the iphone but then next time I connect it, it's on 'repeat 1' again. The DICE unit is in ipod mode. The iphone refused to show me the ipod controls when it was in DICE mode.
Bump...

The phone has been upgraded to 1.1.3, but I'm still seeing the same behaviour. I can reproduce it in the following way:
1. connect the iphone
2. it comes with the message that this is not a compatible ipod/iphone accessory and if I would like to switch off the radio (gsm, wifi, bluetooth) to avoid interference. This is normal.
3. Start the car.
4. Select a track to play on the iphone
5. Switch on the headunit.
6. On the iphone I now see the 'shuffle' and 'repeat 1' icons light up.

Anyone have any ideas on this? Surely I'm not the only one using an iPhone on the DICE Silverline unit?

Cheers,

Costyn.
Old 02-07-2008, 11:41 AM
european auto source

Quote:
Bump...

The phone has been upgraded to 1.1.3, but I'm still seeing the same behaviour. I can reproduce it in the following way:
1. connect the iphone
2. it comes with the message that this is not a compatible ipod/iphone accessory and if I would like to switch off the radio (gsm, wifi, bluetooth) to avoid interference. This is normal.
3. Start the car.
4. Select a track to play on the iphone
5. Switch on the headunit.
6. On the iphone I now see the 'shuffle' and 'repeat 1' icons light up.

Anyone have any ideas on this? Surely I'm not the only one using an iPhone on the DICE Silverline unit?

Cheers,

Costyn.
I'm using an iPhone with 1.1.3 and am not experiencing the issues you are describing. Is the iPhone unlocked or modded in any way?

Old 02-07-2008, 03:45 PM

hmm i will test my iPhone tomorrow. I tried it once, and got the this accesory is not compatible message, but it function normally after that.
Will try it tomorrow again to check ( i use the iPod classic on the car more)
Old 02-08-2008, 08:42 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 320d Touring
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
I'm using an iPhone with 1.1.3 and am not experiencing the issues you are describing. Is the iPhone unlocked or modded in any way?
Hi Tom and zerock, thanks for the reply.

Yeah since I live in Holland where I can't buy an official iPhone yet, I have a US version which has been jailbroken and sim-unlocked (with a turbosim).

Perhaps it has something to do with that; I wish there were some way to fine-tune some of the preferences of the applications on the iPhone, like disabling the 'repeat 1' function, which I never ever use.

BTW, is the DICE Silverline unit firmware upgradeable in some way if there comes out a newer firmware version in the future with bugfixes/new features? That would be cool.

Last edited by costyn; 02-08-2008 at 09:01 AM.
Old 02-08-2008, 10:52 AM

Hi Tom,
When I send you my trunk harness in exchange for the radio connect harness, does the radio connect harness include only the y-harness shown in the picture of the link you sent me? http://www.europeanautosource.com/pr...roducts_id=664,

Or does it also include a shorter-length connector cable for connecting the 6-pin and 3-pin headers on the y-harness to the DICE Silverline unit?
Old 02-08-2008, 10:57 AM
european auto source

Quote:
Hi Tom and zerock, thanks for the reply.

Yeah since I live in Holland where I can't buy an official iPhone yet, I have a US version which has been jailbroken and sim-unlocked (with a turbosim).

Perhaps it has something to do with that; I wish there were some way to fine-tune some of the preferences of the applications on the iPhone, like disabling the 'repeat 1' function, which I never ever use.

BTW, is the DICE Silverline unit firmware upgradeable in some way if there comes out a newer firmware version in the future with bugfixes/new features? That would be cool.
Firmware is upgradeable, but the module will need to be sent in as it is not updateable by the end user.

We have a jailbroken 1.1.1 iPhone here along with my 1.1.3 (virgin) iPhone as testers, no problems to report at this time. If you would like to test the module for you, let me know and 'll make the necessary arrangements.

Old 02-08-2008, 10:58 AM
european auto source

Quote:
Hi Tom,
When I send you my trunk harness in exchange for the radio connect harness, does the radio connect harness include only the y-harness shown in the picture of the link you sent me? http://www.europeanautosource.com/pr...roducts_id=664,

Or does it also include a shorter-length connector cable for connecting the 6-pin and 3-pin headers on the y-harness to the DICE Silverline unit?
This will be the MALE/FEMALE R17 connector, with a 12-pin molex connector for the DICE module. The 3PIN/6PIN cables in the trunk will be disabled.

Old 02-08-2008, 11:07 AM

AHH,... I miscounted the pins. o.k. the black connector is the 12-pin molex which connects to the DICE unit. What about that 10-pin white header? what's that for?
Old 02-08-2008, 11:20 AM
european auto source

Quote:
AHH,... I miscounted the pins. o.k. the black connector is the 12-pin molex which connects to the DICE unit. What about that 10-pin white header? what's that for?
That's audio in for the CD Changer/iPod. That will plug into the radio.

Old 02-08-2008, 11:41 AM

Cool. Thanks for the clarification, it all makes sense now. So are you ready to do the exchange? i'm itching all over to get started.... can almost taste it..
Old 02-08-2008, 03:16 PM
european auto source

Quote:
Cool. Thanks for the clarification, it all makes sense now. So are you ready to do the exchange? i'm itching all over to get started.... can almost taste it..
Can you send me your full name and RMA number so I can look up your details?

Old 02-09-2008, 09:36 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 08 X3, Lexus 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
You cannot use a radio interface kit if equipped with DSP.

The difference in the kits is merely installation preference, features and audio quality is exactly the same between the radio and trunk interface kits.
Tom,
Since I ordered the Prem sound in my X3 the only choice I have for a Dice interface is the Silverline trunk mounted kit with the DSP module. I am assuming that I have enough room under my center arm rest storage box for both of these modules, is that correct?

Thanks,

PCD 04-03-08 2008 X3 - Plat. Bronze, Tobacco, Premium, Heated front,
Heated Steering, Prem Sound, HD Radio, Xenon, Steptronic
Old 02-09-2008, 10:52 AM

I can confirm that the iPhone (1.1.3) works great with DICE Silverline.

costyn: are you using the DICE module in iPod Mode or Lock Mode?, I'm using it in Lock Mode.
Old 02-09-2008, 05:50 PM

Mein Auto: '99 Z3 2.3, 01 530iA
Tom,
I have an original Dice purchased from you about a year ago installed with trunk kit in an '01 E39 w/DSP and Sirius. If I purchase the Silverline can I simply replace the Dice unit with the Silverline using the existing cables?
Old 02-10-2008, 08:07 PM

so far so good with the silverline. The only complaint I have so far is that When i use the iPod classic and go to a short playlist i made. It doesn't respect the order of the tracks instead it plays them on album order, this doesn't happen on the iPhone, it works correctly on it.

The iPod classic is version 1.1, I just updated to 1.1.1 right now, let's see if it makes a difference tomorrow.