Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Car Navigation, Audio & Electronics sponsored by BimmerTech

Car Navigation, Audio & Electronics sponsored by BimmerTech
BMW navigation, audio upgrades, XM Radio, Sirius, Bluetooth, and Radar Detector discussions here!

Sponsored by BimmerTech

Old 03-25-2008, 07:37 PM
european auto source

Mein Auto: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by therock View Post
Hey Tom, I work really close to European Auto Source. Is it possible to purchase and pick up a DICE unit there or do I have to order it online and have it mailed? I rather not have to wait if I don't have to. Thanks.
Absolutely - feel free to stop by anytime.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG FACEBOOK YOUTUBE FLICKR INSTAGRAM
Old 03-25-2008, 07:38 PM
european auto source

Quote:
Originally Posted by gray01 View Post
Purchased the DICE Silverline, install all done on my 01 330xi, business radio, video iPod with 1.3 software, switches set per the instructions (Off,ON). Now have a few, hopefully simple, questions.
1. Should the title of songs appear in my head unit display?
2. I can't seem to be able to switch between different playlists without disconnecting the iPod, setting to the playlist I want, and then re-connecting.

I may have answered my own quesiton by checking further back in the forum. Looks like my iPod switches should both be off. Would you please confirm this?

Thanks!
1. Your radio is compatible with text display.
2. Pressing CD2 will bring up your Playlist directories.

If you should continue to have trouble, we'll make arrangments to have them module tested in-house.

Old 03-26-2008, 01:14 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to robinsonda1
Mein Auto: 2005 330ci ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
Awaiting your package to be rerouted and returned, we should be seeing it within the next 2-3 days.
Tom the package arrived today. I guess they didn't intercept it. Can you send me the harness I need or do I have to ship this back and wait for another one?
Old 03-26-2008, 01:41 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 325xi
I have a problem with my Silverline. Whenever I start my car and turn on the radio it reads "DETACHED". I have not found any key sequence on the head unit that will awaken my Nano. When I open the glove box and hit the play button on the Nano it wakes up and everything is cool. I only notice this behavior when I haven't used the car for a day.

What do I have to do to have the Dice module wake up my ipod for me? I specifically installed the ipod to the glove box instead of the sunglasses holder because I thought it would be out of sight, out of mind.

Thanks!
Old 03-26-2008, 06:06 PM
european auto source

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStar7 View Post
I have a problem with my Silverline. Whenever I start my car and turn on the radio it reads "DETACHED". I have not found any key sequence on the head unit that will awaken my Nano. When I open the glove box and hit the play button on the Nano it wakes up and everything is cool. I only notice this behavior when I haven't used the car for a day.

What do I have to do to have the Dice module wake up my ipod for me? I specifically installed the ipod to the glove box instead of the sunglasses holder because I thought it would be out of sight, out of mind.

Thanks!
The iPod is going into hibernation mode and breaking the "handshake" between the iPod and DICE module. You will need to turn it on first, then connect to the DICE.

Old 03-26-2008, 06:06 PM
european auto source

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinsonda1 View Post
Tom the package arrived today. I guess they didn't intercept it. Can you send me the harness I need or do I have to ship this back and wait for another one?
Returning the package would be much more costly than just getting a new harness shipped. Please PM me your full name so I can get you set up.

Old 03-27-2008, 07:23 AM

Quote:
The iPod is going into hibernation mode and breaking the "handshake" between the iPod and DICE module. You will need to turn it on first, then connect to the DICE.

Tom, this is a critical piece of information. When I specifically asked about deciding where to put the iPod (see exchange below from prior post), you said "iPod placement is not important since all control is performed by the radio". Isn't turning the iPod on part of "all control"?

At any rate, for other people considering where to put it, understand that it needs to be a place you are happy accessing EVERY DAY.

My Prior Post:
5) Originally I was planning on installing to the sunglass holder. Now that I know the iPod itself will be locked, I am debating installing to the glove box instead so it will be out of the way. Any opinions on the pros/cons?

You're Answer:
None to report. iPod placement is not important since all control is performed by the radio and/or steering wheel controls. Simply place it in a convenient place for access when needed to sync music.
Old 03-27-2008, 10:53 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW E39 M5
If you use your iPod regularly then there is a workaround for the Deep Sleep/Hibernation issue. There is a lot of information in this post on the Intravee forum, the information on how to prevent your iPod entering Hibernation/Deep Sleep and the expected battery life is just as relevant for the DICE.
Old 03-27-2008, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardP View Post
If you use your iPod regularly then there is a workaround for the Deep Sleep/Hibernation issue. There is a lot of information in this post on the Intravee forum, the information on how to prevent your iPod entering Hibernation/Deep Sleep and the expected battery life is just as relevant for the DICE.

RichardP,
Thanks for the link. Very clever.

I use my car almost every day so I doubt the battery would drain completely. Do you know of any adverse side effects to depriving your iPod of sleep?

Thanks!
Old 03-27-2008, 03:00 PM
european auto source

Quote:
RichardP,

I use my car almost every day so I doubt the battery would drain completely. Do you know of any adverse side effects to depriving your iPod of sleep?

Thanks!
We've used calendar reminders for a bit, they work very well in keeping the iPod from entering hibernation mode.

Old 03-28-2008, 12:19 AM

Mein Auto: BMW E39 M5
Quote:
RichardP,

Thanks!
It depends what type of iPod you have.

With a Classic or Gen 3 Nano, almost nothing unless you don't use it for months, if you know you are not going to use it you can simply set the calendar alarm mode to "off" and the iPod will hibernate normally.

With any other iPod, basically the older it is the more stress you will put on the battery the longer you leave it. You also get stacking reminders, there may be a limit on the number of reminders you can have, but if there is I've not hit it and what happens if you do reach it I don't know, the iPod may freeze, reboot, or just stop reminding you! So every so often you should clear the reminders.
Old 03-29-2008, 04:55 AM

Mein Auto: X3 3.0D
Hi Tom,

I have been using an IceLink plus with an X3 for the last 2 years and half without problems. Until, I start to experiment battery problems - battery drain, car refused to start - Battery changed, BMW dealer identified the Dension module as the source of battery drain. I heard of ILP modules failing in the time, I suspect mine is part of the faulty modules. So, to be on the safe side, I disconnect the module each time, I have the leave my vehicule for weeks without using it. Not handy, hey!

I recently bought an Ipod touch, and before I migrate to the Dice, I would have a few questions for you:
> Is the Touch 16Gb, Ver 1.1.4 is compatible with the dice silvermine.
> Is my car - X3 2004, no dsp, no Nav, compatible with the Dice
> Have you heard of any - car -battery issues with the Dice?
> Can I re-use the Dension cables already fitted in the car - Radio interface and Dock cable - This would avoid me to go for a full install ! Can I simply plug the Dice in place of the ILP ?
> If so, are you selling only the dice module without the cables at a preferred price, to upgrade from ILP?
> Is the navigation with the dice a bit quicker and more user friendly than the ILP?
> Endly, are you shipping to Europe - France - and at which cost?

Thanks !
Old 03-29-2008, 11:54 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 530
2Tom

You have already sent a Radio Connect harness for DICE iPod Kit (R17) ?
When they should come on the American address?
I`ll wait for your answear!
Old 03-29-2008, 04:57 PM
european auto source

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWucT View Post
2Tom

You have already sent a Radio Connect harness for DICE iPod Kit (R17) ?
When they should come on the American address?
I`ll wait for your answear!
Your order has already shipped, you should be seeing is shortly.

Old 03-29-2008, 05:01 PM
european auto source

[QUOTE=ladrstea;3131922]

I recently bought an Ipod touch, and before I migrate to the Dice, I would have a few questions for you:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladrstea View Post
> Is the Touch 16Gb, Ver 1.1.4 is compatible with the dice silvermine.
Yes.

Quote:
> Is my car - X3 2004, no dsp, no Nav, compatible with the Dice
Yes.
Quote:
> Have you heard of any - car -battery issues with the Dice?
None, the DICE goes into cleep mode when the vehicle is shut down to prevent battery drainage.

Quote:
> Can I re-use the Dension cables already fitted in the car - Radio interface and Dock cable - This would avoid me to go for a full install ! Can I simply plug the Dice in place of the ILP ?
Yes.
Quote:
> If so, are you selling only the dice module without the cables at a preferred price, to upgrade from ILP?
Yes, we have an upgrade program listed here:

DICE - SILVERLINE iPod Integration Module Upgrade
http://www.europeanautosource.com/pr...oducts_id=1638

Quote:
> Is the navigation with the dice a bit quicker and more user friendly than the ILP?
About the same in Navgiation speed.

Quote:
> Endly, are you shipping to Europe - France - and at which cost?
As soon as your shipping info is entered, the website can give an exact amount for shipping.

Old 03-30-2008, 05:11 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 Z4 SI Roadster
Quote:
All you would need is a replacement module, your existing cables and DSP adapter can be retained:

These are in stock, let me know if you need anything else.
Tom, how about one with the HD radio?

07 Z4 3.0si
Old 03-30-2008, 03:41 PM

Mein Auto: 3-series Cab
Hi Tom,
Finally had a chance to install the kit that I received last month. Have a few questions / potential issues with it so would like to get some inputs & comments -

a) I selected to play one of the playlist. Display shows name of the playlist. Then I hit the clock button (the - button on my Business CD unit). The clock shows for a few sec but flip back to playlist name. Is this normal?

b) Per a) above, I tried to adjust tone (balance, bass, ...) but it wouldn't let me

c) If I switched off car then listen to it next time, the display will default back to Disc1 (song name) mode. Is this normal?

thanks!
Old 03-30-2008, 07:21 PM
european auto source

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giddeeup View Post
Tom, how about one with the HD radio?
We have an upgrade program for that also:

DICE High Definition Radio w/ iPod Integration (BMW) - *UPGRADE*
http://www.europeanautosource.com/pr...roducts_id=612

Old 03-30-2008, 07:24 PM
european auto source

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobieboy View Post
Hi Tom,
Finally had a chance to install the kit that I received last month. Have a few questions / potential issues with it so would like to get some inputs & comments -

a) I selected to play one of the playlist. Display shows name of the playlist. Then I hit the clock button (the - button on my Business CD unit). The clock shows for a few sec but flip back to playlist name. Is this normal?
This is normal, you do have the clock underneath your gauge display also.

Quote:
b) Per a) above, I tried to adjust tone (balance, bass, ...) but it wouldn't let me
Text will need to be turned off (DISC6/TRACK99) in order to set your EQ. An easier way would be to switch to AM/FM mode instead, then switch back when completed.

Quote:
c) If I switched off car then listen to it next time, the display will default back to Disc1 (song name) mode. Is this normal?

thanks!
This is due to the iPod going to hibernation mode, breaking the connection with the DICE. Periodic calender reminders on the iPod will keep the device from entering this mode.

Old 03-31-2008, 12:45 AM

Mein Auto: X3 3.0D
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladrstea

Tom - The description of the upgrade program mention a trunk interface. I do have a radio interface already fitted. Is this the proper module to order for a radio interface cable?
I would think the module are the same and not dependent of the wiring, but just want to check before to order.
Old 03-31-2008, 01:17 PM

Mein Auto: 3-series Cab
Quote:
This is due to the iPod going to hibernation mode, breaking the connection with the DICE. Periodic calender reminders on the iPod will keep the device from entering this mode.
Thanks for the clarification Tom...

One question about going to hibernation - will DICE continue to play the Playlist or it will start going through all the songs on the iPod?

thanks!
Old 03-31-2008, 02:18 PM
european auto source

Quote:
Thanks for the clarification Tom...

One question about going to hibernation - will DICE continue to play the Playlist or it will start going through all the songs on the iPod?

thanks!
The iPod will pick up from where it left off if it does not enter hibernation mode.

Old 03-31-2008, 02:28 PM
european auto source

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladrstea

Tom - The description of the upgrade program mention a trunk interface. I do have a radio interface already fitted. Is this the proper module to order for a radio interface cable?
I would think the module are the same and not dependent of the wiring, but just want to check before to order.
The module would be the same for trunk vs. radio interface kit.

Old 03-31-2008, 06:14 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 X3
Tom, as you know I have already reported some issues with the classic..

Well related to the classic and iPhone, I have something, not sure if its a problem or what...
Lets see supposed i'm browsing the artists and albums..using the radio unit.And well I had to make a stop, and turn off the car, when I get back on, I have to start browsing from the beginning,, is that normal?

Also is there a way to keep current music playing while browsing for other music?

Thanks!

P.S. have you heard from dice on those classic issues I posted?
Old 04-01-2008, 07:02 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 BMW 540iA Sport
tom,

i sent you an email last week, not sure if you got it. figured i'll post it here in case someone has the same setup/questions;

I have a 2003 540i and I recently purchased an iphone which I am looking to fully integrate into the vehicle. The specs are as follows;

16GB iphone version 1.1.4 (4A102)

2003 540i Sport (1/2003 production)

Non-Dsp

Non-Nav

Business CD

Factory Phone wiring option 640

Pre wired for cd changer (no changer installed)

I recently installed the dealer aux input kit and have a Sirius Sportster 4 connected to it.

I would like the system to have the following capabilites/features;

Iphone mounted cleanly in center console/dash area w/ charging capability.

Handsfree operation of the phone with audio coming from the speaker system and utilizing factory mic

Automatic muting of audio, regardless of source playing, when call incoming

Voice dialing and other voice control of phone

Ability to access other functions of iphone when connected to system (safari, txt messages, email, etc)

Full control of ipod with track info displayed on mid

What would I need to accomplish this? What are the advantages of Dice over Intravee? Are there any cons?