Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Car Navigation, Audio & Electronics sponsored by BimmerTech

Car Navigation, Audio & Electronics sponsored by BimmerTech
BMW navigation, audio upgrades, XM Radio, Sirius, Bluetooth, and Radar Detector discussions here!

Sponsored by BimmerTech

Old 04-01-2008, 10:45 AM
european auto source

Mein Auto: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerock View Post
Tom, as you know I have already reported some issues with the classic..

Well related to the classic and iPhone, I have something, not sure if its a problem or what...
Lets see supposed i'm browsing the artists and albums..using the radio unit.And well I had to make a stop, and turn off the car, when I get back on, I have to start browsing from the beginning,, is that normal?

Also is there a way to keep current music playing while browsing for other music?

Thanks!

P.S. have you heard from dice on those classic issues I posted?
No word from DICE on your particular situation. How much time passes between you turning off/on the vehicle when this happens?

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Old 04-01-2008, 10:47 AM
european auto source

Quote:
Originally Posted by badabingjr View Post
tom,

i sent you an email last week, not sure if you got it. figured i'll post it here in case someone has the same setup/questions;

I have a 2003 540i and I recently purchased an iphone which I am looking to fully integrate into the vehicle. The specs are as follows;

16GB iphone version 1.1.4 (4A102)

2003 540i Sport (1/2003 production)

Non-Dsp

Non-Nav

Business CD

Factory Phone wiring option 640

Pre wired for cd changer (no changer installed)

I recently installed the dealer aux input kit and have a Sirius Sportster 4 connected to it.

I would like the system to have the following capabilites/features;

Iphone mounted cleanly in center console/dash area w/ charging capability.

Handsfree operation of the phone with audio coming from the speaker system and utilizing factory mic

Automatic muting of audio, regardless of source playing, when call incoming

Voice dialing and other voice control of phone

Ability to access other functions of iphone when connected to system (safari, txt messages, email, etc)

Full control of ipod with track info displayed on mid

What would I need to accomplish this? What are the advantages of Dice over Intravee? Are there any cons?
The DICE will use the iPod-specific features of the iPhone only - it is not a telephone system. Here's the kit you would need:

DICE - SILVERLINE iPod Integration Kit for 5 Series/M5 97-03 (Trunk Interface)
http://www.europeanautosource.com/pr...oducts_id=1625

If you would like Bluetooth integration, we have those on the site as well.

Old 04-01-2008, 01:34 PM

Mein Auto: 3-series Cab
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
The iPod will pick up from where it left off if it does not enter hibernation mode.
ummm - I meant if the iPod went to hibernation, when it restarts, it starts the song from where it left off. But will DICE continue with the playlist or will it then play from the song list?

BTW - I noticed that if I was playing a Playlist, hit 1, display changed to song title & details, then hit 2, display changed back to Playlist name. Then hit Clock, the clock will stay on
Feature or bug?
Old 04-01-2008, 05:43 PM
european auto source

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobieboy View Post
ummm - I meant if the iPod went to hibernation, when it restarts, it starts the song from where it left off. But will DICE continue with the playlist or will it then play from the song list?
No, it will start with song #1 on the first playlsit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobieboy View Post
BTW - I noticed that if I was playing a Playlist, hit 1, display changed to song title & details, then hit 2, display changed back to Playlist name. Then hit Clock, the clock will stay on
Feature or bug?
Not sure - we'll have to see for ourselves.

Old 04-02-2008, 06:55 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2003 BMW 540iA Sport
Quote:
The DICE will use the iPod-specific features of the iPhone only - it is not a telephone system. Here's the kit you would need:

DICE - SILVERLINE iPod Integration Kit for 5 Series/M5 97-03 (Trunk Interface)
http://www.europeanautosource.com/pr...oducts_id=1625

If you would like Bluetooth integration, we have those on the site as well.
link seems to be dead.

i am aware that i would need a bluetooth module for the phone integration. i am asking what different pieces of equipment i would need to purchase to achieve the functionality i described.

Since i want the iphone with me in the cabin wouldnt i need the radio interface instead of the trunk.

finally, i saw an ipod dock that is mounted inside the ashtray behind the gear selector. do you carry something like that and is it compatible.

Last edited by badabingjr; 04-02-2008 at 07:01 AM.
Old 04-02-2008, 10:30 AM
european auto source

Quote:
Originally Posted by badabingjr View Post
link seems to be dead.

i am aware that i would need a bluetooth module for the phone integration. i am asking what different pieces of equipment i would need to purchase to achieve the functionality i described.

Since i want the iphone with me in the cabin wouldnt i need the radio interface instead of the trunk.

finally, i saw an ipod dock that is mounted inside the ashtray behind the gear selector. do you carry something like that and is it compatible.
We are upgrading our server, we should be back online tonight.

The Trunk interface version of the DICE kit allows you to make the necessary connections at the CD Changer cables in the trunk area, and allows 15 feet of cable length to allow placement of your iPod anywhere in the vehicle you like.

The Radio interface version of the DICE kit is a favorite among professional installers. This kit allows a direct connection directly at the radio, eliminating a long cable from the CD changer connectors in the trunk. This also provide a shorter cable route, reducing the possibility of engine noise. The Radio interface kit is also choice for euro models that do not have CD Changer prewiring.

We do not recommend the ashtray docks. The dock might be ok for a desk or surface - but we are talking about a moving vehicle. This places a lot of unnecessary wear on the dock connector of the iPod and can damage it within time. Vehicles with stiff suspension make the problem worse.

Navigation of the iPod would be virtually impossible in this position. A more serious point to bring up is if the vehicle was involved in an head-on collision and the iPod was projected in front of a deploying airbag, since the iPod isn't secured properly.

Here’s what I recommend:

DICE iPod Cradle w/ Video Support
http://www.europeanautosource.com/pr...roducts_id=269

You'll notice the iPod is supported by the bottom and the sides. This is necessary in a moving vehicle.

I think the concept is very neat, just not practical without something securing the iPod safely. To be perfectly fair, I have not heard a case of this happening yet. I certainly wouldn't want to be the first.

Choice is up to you on what configuration DICE kit you would like - features are the same on both.

Old 04-02-2008, 07:12 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 X3
Quote:
No word from DICE on your particular situation. How much time passes between you turning off/on the vehicle when this happens?
i would say like 5-6 minutes. the music resumes where it left off but the menus start back at the beginning, not where I was, which is a problem with the classic (160GB) having too much music on it and browsing.

Last edited by zerock; 04-02-2008 at 07:14 PM.
Old 04-03-2008, 09:46 AM
european auto source

Quote:
i would say like 5-6 minutes. the music resumes where it left off but the menus start back at the beginning, not where I was, which is a problem with the classic (160GB) having too much music on it and browsing.
Do you have another iPod to test with to see if this is an iPod or DICE related issue?

Old 04-03-2008, 04:10 PM

i have an iPhone, and an older iPod, i will check with both.
Old 04-06-2008, 09:15 AM

it happens with the iPhone too..

lets suppose I'm browsing thru artists and i'm on the S. then I have to turn off the car real quick to go to the grocery store. when I get on the car it resumes where it left off (sometimes it gets Paused and i have to turn off the radio and turn on again) , so it resumes where I left off, but then I have to start browsing artists from the begginning, from A so its long way to the S again.
Old 04-07-2008, 11:19 AM
european auto source

Quote:
it happens with the iPhone too..

lets suppose I'm browsing thru artists and i'm on the S. then I have to turn off the car real quick to go to the grocery store. when I get on the car it resumes where it left off (sometimes it gets Paused and i have to turn off the radio and turn on again) , so it resumes where I left off, but then I have to start browsing artists from the begginning, from A so its long way to the S again.
Not understanding your description - you state that is resumes where it left off, but you are starting over browsing again? Can you explain in detail?

Old 04-07-2008, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Not understanding your description - you state that is resumes where it left off, but you are starting over browsing again? Can you explain in detail?
it resumes where it lefts off.

but if i decide to browse for something else, it starts from the beginning.
Old 04-07-2008, 05:37 PM
european auto source

Quote:
it resumes where it lefts off.

but if i decide to browse for something else, it starts from the beginning.
This is normal behavior since it is starting from the beginning of the selection you have chosen.

Old 04-07-2008, 06:09 PM

Quote:
This is normal behavior since it is starting from the beginning of the selection you have chosen.
yeah, but what i meant, is for example, I want to listening to U2 so i browse for U2. I turn off the car, come back in a couple of minutes. And it resumes playing some U2, but then I decided i want to listen to some Nightwish. When i start trying to browse on the radio display, it doesnt show ARTIST: U2. it goes back to ARTIST: ALL ARTIST.. like if i started from the beginning, this only happens when i turn off the car.
Old 04-07-2008, 06:11 PM
european auto source

Quote:
yeah, but what i meant, is for example, I want to listening to U2 so i browse for U2. I turn off the car, come back in a couple of minutes. And it resumes playing some U2, but then I decided i want to listen to some Nightwish. When i start trying to browse on the radio display, it doesnt show ARTIST: U2. it goes back to ARTIST: ALL ARTIST.. like if i started from the beginning, this only happens when i turn off the car.
This is normal on the SILVERLINE kits.

Old 04-08-2008, 04:02 PM

Alright thanks.

What about previous issue I had with the classic when set in iPod mode? that the shuffle and repeat options came on automatically upon connection of the iPod. You mentioned this happened to a Z4 also..
Old 04-08-2008, 04:46 PM
european auto source

Quote:
Alright thanks.

What about previous issue I had with the classic when set in iPod mode? that the shuffle and repeat options came on automatically upon connection of the iPod. You mentioned this happened to a Z4 also..
We were speaking to DICE about this very subject today, they are in development of a fix at the moment.

Old 04-12-2008, 09:07 PM

Mein Auto: 325xi 2004
No Playlist or Album Titles

I have the Dice module installed in my 2004 325xi in the trunk with cable coming up the drivers side of the car and the ipod is in where the coin holder was. Works well and love the audio. I have it set to have the radio do all the controls and it seems to work well except for the text display. On CD 1 I can see the song title just fine, however on the Playlist and Album buttons all I get is the word Playlist ofr Album no actually text info. Any ideas on what I am doing wrong?

I also was have the issue with having to disconnect and reconnect the iPod when not in use. All I would get was the two ** on the display. I am going to try the calendar reminder trick to see if that solves the issue. You also answered my question on having to start from Playlist 1 after a time period.

Thanks for any help you can give me, Tom.

Dick
Old 04-13-2008, 09:12 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci
Tom, I have a 2004 330Ci Coupe (US) with premium package, BMW assist and hk speaker system with factory single disc business cd radio, I would like to get the DICE ipod integration kit, however I have no idea if I should use the non-DSP version or DSP version, can you let me know? Also, which option is easier to install? Radio option or Trunk option?
Old 04-14-2008, 10:25 AM
european auto source

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbbfounder View Post
I have the Dice module installed in my 2004 325xi in the trunk with cable coming up the drivers side of the car and the ipod is in where the coin holder was. Works well and love the audio. I have it set to have the radio do all the controls and it seems to work well except for the text display. On CD 1 I can see the song title just fine, however on the Playlist and Album buttons all I get is the word Playlist ofr Album no actually text info. Any ideas on what I am doing wrong?

I also was have the issue with having to disconnect and reconnect the iPod when not in use. All I would get was the two ** on the display. I am going to try the calendar reminder trick to see if that solves the issue. You also answered my question on having to start from Playlist 1 after a time period.

Thanks for any help you can give me, Tom.

Dick
Were the battery cables disconnected when your installation was performed originally? If not - this would cause this type of behavior.

The * * message is due to the iPod going into hibernation mode and rebooting while still connecting to the DICE, the calender trick will prevent this from happening.

Old 04-14-2008, 10:27 AM
european auto source

Quote:
Originally Posted by neecam View Post
Tom, I have a 2004 330Ci Coupe (US) with premium package, BMW assist and hk speaker system with factory single disc business cd radio, I would like to get the DICE ipod integration kit, however I have no idea if I should use the non-DSP version or DSP version, can you let me know? Also, which option is easier to install? Radio option or Trunk option?
DSP was never offered with the 3-series, no need to worry about that.

The Trunk interface version of the DICE kit allows you to make the necessary connections at the CD Changer cables in the trunk area, and allows 15 feet of cable length to allow placement of your iPod anywhere in the vehicle you like.

The Radio interface version of the DICE kit is a favorite among professional installers. This kit allows a direct connection directly at the radio, eliminating a long cable from the CD changer connectors in the trunk. This also provide a shorter cable route, reducing the possibility of engine noise. The Radio interface kit is also choice for euro models that do not have CD Changer prewiring.

DICE - SILVERLINE iPod Integration Kit for 3 Series/M3 99-06 (Radio Interface)
http://www.europeanautosource.com/pr...oducts_id=1620

DICE - SILVERLINE iPod Integration Kit for 3 Series/M3 99-06 (Trunk Interface)
http://www.europeanautosource.com/pr...oducts_id=1621

Let me know if you need anything else.

Old 04-16-2008, 12:05 PM

Hey Tom, I have a 06 X3, but it has the factory Ipod adapter already. What would I need to do to install the DICE unit?
Old 04-16-2008, 12:18 PM
european auto source

Quote:
Originally Posted by skitime View Post
Hey Tom, I have a 06 X3, but it has the factory Ipod adapter already. What would I need to do to install the DICE unit?
The BMW kit will need to be uninstalled, once completed - this is the kit you need:

DICE - SILVERLINE iPod Integration Kit for X3 04-08 (Trunk/Console Interface)
http://www.europeanautosource.com/pr...oducts_id=1628

Old 04-17-2008, 11:30 AM

Thanks! Is it just a matter of unpluging the BMW Ipod adapter cable?
Old 04-17-2008, 11:33 AM
european auto source

Quote:
Originally Posted by skitime View Post
Thanks! Is it just a matter of unpluging the BMW Ipod adapter cable?
There's a tiny bit of rewiring that was performed, this will need to be returned to stock. I have BMW installation instructions you can follow in reverse if you would like.