Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 02-20-2008, 05:26 PM
european auto source

Mein Auto: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennoir View Post
Hi There,

Can you confirm if it is possible to ship to the UK? also as I understand it my 2002 E65 745i with CD multichanger will not display any track names etc and will basically operate in the same way as the current CD changer? When / IF the hardware upgrade for text display becomes available will this be available as an upgrade to the basic kit if I buy today???

Thanks from Sunny England!
Pre 2005 models will not display text, but you can navigate through the iPod as if it were your CD Changer.

We are in development to see if text display is available with different equipment, this will have nothing to do with the mObrige unit. We ship to all over the world, let me know when you are ready.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG FACEBOOK YOUTUBE FLICKR INSTAGRAM
Old 02-21-2008, 12:59 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: M35
is the upgarde for the text to work is gonna be a big unit or just a firmware that's gonna be loaded on the SD card
08 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo SOLD
08 E60 535I LEASE OVER
02 E66 745LI LEMON
98 E39 528I SOLD
91 E30 316I SOLD
Old 02-21-2008, 10:56 AM
Certified Enthusiast

Mein Auto: E65 E30
is it the navigation that is the problem for text being shown?...if so, is it a possibility to update 02'-05' navigation to the navigation the new 7s are using?

i would love to upgrade my navigation system to the system the new 7s are using and i wouldnt have a problem w/ text display w/ the ipod kit....
Old 02-21-2008, 11:18 AM
E65/E66 Helper Man.......

Send a message via AIM to harjothundal Send a message via MSN to harjothundal
Mein Auto: BMW 745 Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer1904 View Post
is it the navigation that is the problem for text being shown?...if so, is it a possibility to update 02'-05' navigation to the navigation the new 7s are using?

i would love to upgrade my navigation system to the system the new 7s are using and i wouldnt have a problem w/ text display w/ the ipod kit....
i doubt that its the new navigation computers, from what i understand, the first 7's ran their idrive on a microsoft based operating system, and bmw later ditched that for a proprietery os, and there is where the issue lies, support isnt implementing anything for the older os... i'm sure its got to be possible with the proper programming...
Old 02-21-2008, 02:12 PM
european auto source

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjothundal View Post
i doubt that its the new navigation computers, from what i understand, the first 7's ran their idrive on a microsoft based operating system, and bmw later ditched that for a proprietery os, and there is where the issue lies, support isnt implementing anything for the older os... i'm sure its got to be possible with the proper programming...
And hardware. The current systems simply are not simply compatible for text display and is nothing the mObridge can correct. We're seeing this there is a workaround to add text with additional hardware and/or coding, but cannot promise anything until further development is made.

For early 5/7 series - this is the answer to a void that BMW left behind.

Last edited by tom @ eas; 02-21-2008 at 02:23 PM.
Old 02-21-2008, 05:53 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 745Li
Sirius provides title/artist information on the screen. It's got to be possible via software, no?
Old 02-21-2008, 05:57 PM
european auto source

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darbyva View Post
Sirius provides title/artist information on the screen. It's got to be possible via software, no?
Sirius doesn't have CD Changer-specific modes, it's a completely different system. That's like saying FM RDS makes it compatible - which it doesn't.

Old 02-24-2008, 07:15 AM

Send a message via AIM to swich2mac
Mein Auto: '08 750Li, '99 MB E300 TD
Sounds to me like everyone else, including myself is going to wait until the text option is available. Tom, when do you anticipate this coming to reality? Personally, I believe that you have a good pool of folks wanting to purchase the mObridge unit but will not do so until they can be assured that text will work with it. $599 is a high investment to add this functionality to our vehicles with the text being unknown at this point, so I would expect sales to be at a minimum. However, if people knew that text was available for let's say, a $200 add-on and it was deliverable today you probably couldn't ship these units fast enough. Just my two cents!

Scott
Old 02-24-2008, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
Sirius doesn't have CD Changer-specific modes, it's a completely different system. That's like saying FM RDS makes it compatible - which it doesn't.
Tom, you are correct. In my car Sirius, FM RDS, etc. all display text. The in dash CD and 6 disc changer will not. They only display track 1, track 2, etc. Being in the electronics business previously when changers were first introduced, the early versions were not capable of displaying text. The later versions that came out were marketed as CD Text capable, which gave you the ability to display the text regardless what type of head unit you had as long as it supported an input for the changer itself. The FM modulated units contained their own display screen that displayed the text and it was being fed directly from the changer itself, not the head unit.

With this being said, there has got to be a way to integrate this text into our system!
Old 02-24-2008, 08:16 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to 540fan
Mein Auto: 2001 540iT & 2004 745Li
Got my kit from Tom yesterday and will start the install this afternoon. Can anyone who has the unit installed tell me what the toggle switch and two wires are for? The CD changer harness plugs in to the mObridge unit and the iPod cable is clear. Just don't know what the toggle is for?????

Personally I'm not waiting for the text patch as this is the only option I have for iPod use and I will use the Aux input for sat radio. My car didn't get built with the sat prewire so I'm out of luck. I've been getting by on an FM modulator that I got in Germany and it's signal is much more powerful that US modulators but the sound is hollow. It's like having Logic 7 that is Logic 2.5.

$599 is steep but I don't see another game in town and I appreciate the work that EAS has done making sure they are compatible with our cars and telling us what they will and will not do. All we have to do is decide if we want one.
Old 02-24-2008, 12:30 PM
bmw addiction

Mein Auto: X5d
^^ can you post pics & details of the install in the DIY section?

2012 X5d | White on Black | Fully Loaded | Sport Package
Black Trim Painted White

-2009 E320 Diesel | White on Black | H&R Springs | Kleemann KD-Box | 20" Monarch Hamburg Rims
Black Roof | E63 Rear Lip | Hood Emblem Delete | Foglight Chrome Trim Delete Gone

-2003 760LI Titanium Gray Metallic | Every option | H&R Springs upfront , via computer in rear
OEM Style 128 21" wheels | 40% tint | AIB Angel Eye's w/ matching foglights Gone
Old 02-25-2008, 11:55 AM
european auto source

Quote:
Originally Posted by swich2mac View Post
Sounds to me like everyone else, including myself is going to wait until the text option is available. Tom, when do you anticipate this coming to reality? Personally, I believe that you have a good pool of folks wanting to purchase the mObridge unit but will not do so until they can be assured that text will work with it. $599 is a high investment to add this functionality to our vehicles with the text being unknown at this point, so I would expect sales to be at a minimum. However, if people knew that text was available for let's say, a $200 add-on and it was deliverable today you probably couldn't ship these units fast enough. Just my two cents!

Scott
I think people are beginning to be a bit misled, there is no text support for the earlier 7-series, this is not a limitation of the mObridge kit, but the BMW itself.

We're looking into seeing what it will take to enable text (updated equipment, coding, etc), but nothing in the pipeline from mObridge can enable a feature that was never originally available. No promises are being made - but we will report our findings as they are presented, it may not even be possible, but we will try all possible avenues.

The kits are already flying off the shelves as is as there is no other solution for the early 5/6/7. There's no reason to wait in the meantime as you will still need a mObrige kit to even integrate an iPod.

Old 02-25-2008, 11:59 AM
european auto source

Quote:
Tom, you are correct. In my car Sirius, FM RDS, etc. all display text. The in dash CD and 6 disc changer will not. They only display track 1, track 2, etc. Being in the electronics business previously when changers were first introduced, the early versions were not capable of displaying text. The later versions that came out were marketed as CD Text capable, which gave you the ability to display the text regardless what type of head unit you had as long as it supported an input for the changer itself. The FM modulated units contained their own display screen that displayed the text and it was being fed directly from the changer itself, not the head unit.

With this being said, there has got to be a way to integrate this text into our system!
FM opens up this possibility only for text information from radio broadcasts - but other commands would not be present like NEXT/PREVIOUS TRACK, FAST FORWARD/REW, just to name a few. RDS is not CD text display, its very much different.

A few other kits allow for RDS transmissions but have 0 integration on the iPod, forcing all control to be performed manually. Literally - it's a giant leap backwards.

Old 02-25-2008, 12:10 PM
european auto source

Quote:
Originally Posted by 540fan View Post
Got my kit from Tom yesterday and will start the install this afternoon. Can anyone who has the unit installed tell me what the toggle switch and two wires are for? The CD changer harness plugs in to the mObridge unit and the iPod cable is clear. Just don't know what the toggle is for?????

Personally I'm not waiting for the text patch as this is the only option I have for iPod use and I will use the Aux input for sat radio. My car didn't get built with the sat prewire so I'm out of luck. I've been getting by on an FM modulator that I got in Germany and it's signal is much more powerful that US modulators but the sound is hollow. It's like having Logic 7 that is Logic 2.5.

$599 is steep but I don't see another game in town and I appreciate the work that EAS has done making sure they are compatible with our cars and telling us what they will and will not do. All we have to do is decide if we want one.
The toggle switch allows the mObridge to go into sleep mode when at the dealership.

We're continuing on development on our volunteer 7 that received the first mObridge kit and get an update on how he's doing, we'll be sure to report if progress is made.

Old 02-25-2008, 08:20 PM

Tom,

What is your return policy on the mObridge unit?
Old 02-25-2008, 08:23 PM
european auto source

Quote:
Tom,

What is your return policy on the mObridge unit?
Returns can be made within 30 days from date of purchase.

Old 03-06-2008, 08:25 PM

Can some of you who have purchased the mObridge kit post some comments or reviews? I am curious to know. Thanks!

Scott
Old 03-07-2008, 01:40 PM
european auto source

Quote:
Can some of you who have purchased the mObridge kit post some comments or reviews? I am curious to know. Thanks!

Scott
Feel free to contact me directly if you would like a detailed description of the kit.

Old 03-07-2008, 05:52 PM

Mein Auto: 10 750i
Any update on the DVD kit?
Old 03-07-2008, 06:11 PM
european auto source

Quote:
Originally Posted by asci01 View Post
Any update on the DVD kit?
We are performing a 7-series install getting the full treatment this week - more info to follow in a separate thread shortly.

Old 03-08-2008, 04:44 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 745
Would it be possible to post a video of this unit in use, as it is, so we can see how it integrates with the 2002-2005 cars.
ie. How it works via iDrive...

I think some visibility of it actually in use would be great to help sales. I'm very interested, and if it looks good in the demo would buy.

Could you make a video and put it on YouTube or possibly show some photos of it as a minimum?

Also, details of the installation (again possibly via YouTube?)

What covers the CD changer 'gap' if this needs to be removed??

Thanks
Old 03-10-2008, 10:43 AM
european auto source

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chumpy View Post
Would it be possible to post a video of this unit in use, as it is, so we can see how it integrates with the 2002-2005 cars.
ie. How it works via iDrive...

I think some visibility of it actually in use would be great to help sales. I'm very interested, and if it looks good in the demo would buy.

Could you make a video and put it on YouTube or possibly show some photos of it as a minimum?

Also, details of the installation (again possibly via YouTube?)

What covers the CD changer 'gap' if this needs to be removed??

Thanks
All this info is coming soon as we are preparing DIY guides as we speak.

The 5/7 series vehicles are the easiest to install as these come prewired from BMW for a changer.

Old 03-21-2008, 12:25 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 745Li
mObridge XM/Aux

Tom,

Any update on the XM / AUX testing?

Thanks,
Andrew
Old 03-21-2008, 02:19 PM
european auto source

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewlago View Post
Tom,

Any update on the XM / AUX testing?

Thanks,
Andrew
Andrew,

Waiting on certification form XM at this time - we'll report when completed.

Old 03-22-2008, 03:57 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 745i
I just got the MoBridge unit installed on my 03 745i and it works with the iPod video. It did not work with the iPhone. As mentioned, no text support, so I've set up the "Disc1" etc playlists. Not perfect, but good enough since I'm mostly looking to listen to pod casts and audio books, so not much switching.